Spyder Garage

Default New Member Looking to Purchase

Hi all, I just wanted to say hi from Washington state and introduce myself. I am looking at going from the 2 wheeled to the 3 wheeled world and had a few questions. I am looking at a couple of leftover in the box 2015's. One is an RT-S and the other is a limited. Have there been any updates from the 2015 models to the newer models besides the color schemes and I believe the antenna? All I could find was the iPod in the rear trunk appears to be different and the boot up may be faster on the newer models. Also, the RT-S is the SM6 and the Limited is the SE6 model. I know it boils down to preference really but anything to look out for when comparing the two? As far as price, there is about a $1500.00 difference between the two (The SE6 being higher of course).

My wife and I are really looking forward to the purchase. I had her sit on the back of one and she commented how comfortable it was. I never heard that on any of my previous bikes.

Thanks for looking and thank you for letting me become a member of the forum.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You should like either one. We like chrome so Limited it is. The problem with an SM RT is when you go to sell it, most people want an SE RT.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Choices, choices

Buy the one that best suits you and your budget. Your not buying it for sale or someone else. Personally I prefer the Sm to the Se. I got used to the no front brakes easily but there is no way I could give up control of the clutch and shifting. Happy hunting..pictures of your final choice when you have them....📸
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Hello from Florida and welcome to the site. If you like clutching to shift the gearbox get the manual SM6. If you don't like clutching to shift gears go with the semi-automatic SE6. Good luck to you on which ever one you choose.
    Cheers!
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you like chrome, go with the Ltd. IMHO, it's not really worth the extra. But the SE6 instead of the SM is, to me.

If you're used to two-wheels, be sure to try out the SE before you decide against it. Lots of folks prefer it after using it a while.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewadi View Post
    Hi all, I just wanted to say hi from Washington state and introduce myself. I am looking at going from the 2 wheeled to the 3 wheeled world and had a few questions. I am looking at a couple of leftover in the box 2015's. One is an RT-S and the other is a limited. Have there been any updates from the 2015 models to the newer models besides the color schemes and I believe the antenna? All I could find was the iPod in the rear trunk appears to be different and the boot up may be faster on the newer models. Also, the RT-S is the SM6 and the Limited is the SE6 model. I know it boils down to preference really but anything to look out for when comparing the two? As far as price, there is about a $1500.00 difference between the two (The SE6 being higher of course).

My wife and I are really looking forward to the purchase. I had her sit on the back of one and she commented how comfortable it was. I never heard that on any of my previous bikes.

My '14 RT LIMITED is for sale... it's at Pitbull in Springfield, Mo

Spyder Garage

Default Where in Washington

Where about's in Washington are you looking at these?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

If you can get a limited for only $1,500 more than an SM 6, that is a good deal. Usually the difference between a manual and the SE6 is that much by itself. Comparing a RT-S (SE6) and the limited is usually an additional $2K. You get real chrome and a garmin for your 2K extra. Sounds like a good deal here.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-16-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Our RT was

a new 2015 leftover. We bought it in January, got a great deal, and now have 8400 miles on it. Ours was the base model RT SE6, but that worked great for us because I hate floorboards (always been a peg man) and my wife likes them. I couldn't care less about chrome or fancy luggage. I really wasn't crazy about black, but for the price I was quoted I would have bought it if t was pink and yellow. Comfort wise it has been just fine for us and we can go through a tank of fuel without stopping if we want. Highway pegs for me and armrests for Ma have helped a lot.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm all about the "Shiny Stuff"
    The GPS on the Limited is also a really useful addition also!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, Wecome & Welcome

Give Ron a call at Lifestyle Can-Am in Mt. Vernon...tell him Karyl said to call!! Whatever model you decide is the one for you...you will luv it. Come east of the Cascades and let's ryde....
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

I know you are used to the clutch, but my experience is, once you get used to the semi-auto trx, you won't want to go back. Certainly, to each his own, but be sure to test drive the auto trx. Best of luck on your choice!

Spyder Garage

I have Had one SE Paddle Shift and 2 With clutch- I prefer Clutch on the 5 speed because of the Nice wide gears BUT if I were to buy my F3 6 Speed again I would Get the Paddle shift- Just an opinion!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all of those that replied. Still crunching the numbers on both. One dealer (SM6) offers accessories at cost on the date of the purchase which is tempting. IE the vented windshield and backrest. I'll be making a decision next week as the dealers around here are closed until Tuesday.

I did want to ask again if there are any known differences between the 2015 models and a 2016 or 2017 that I should be aware of?

Also, I noticed a difference between the two as far as the cost assessed for freight and setup. One had $1489.00 and the other had around $1250.00. You would think it would cost the same regardless unless one charges more per hour that the other. I know that can vary.

Thank you all once again.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all of those that replied. Still crunching the numbers on both. One dealer (SM6) offers accessories at cost on the date of the purchase which is tempting. IE the vented windshield and backrest. I'll be making a decision next week as the dealers around here are closed until Tuesday.

I did want to ask again if there are any known differences between the 2015 models and a 2016 or 2017 that I should be aware of?

Also, I noticed a difference between the two as far as the cost assessed for freight and setup. One had $1489.00 and the other had around $1250.00. You would think it would cost the same regardless unless one charges more per hour that the other. I know that can vary.

Thank you all once again.
    Bingo: Cost for set up and freight are negotiable items. Most don't pay them. That is how they are playing the $1,500 price difference. Thought is was a bit good to be true. Accessories at cost--or free install is a good deal though. Since the models you are looking at are prior years, the dealer should be very eager to move them. The question is "how bad." Their profit margin diminishes by the "floor plan" interest, but that is not your problem. Paint jobs are the biggest difference between 2015 and 2017 models.

Here is a piece that you may have missed in another thread or two.

: Trade in is only a part of the price.
    : MSRP is a starting point.
    : Check with banks about financing if you are going to do that. Sometimes you can get a better rate.
    : Rates: Dealers Reserve: If you let some dealers find the rate--they sometimes give you a rate that is 2 to 3 points above the actual lenders rate. You sign on the dotted line, and they pocket the difference.
    : Accessories: There is a large markup there. See if you can negotiate "free" installation or a discount off of not installed items (clothing, etc.)
    : Extended warranties: You have two years before making a decision on BEST. I would wait. Dealer gets a big chunk there.
    : Delivery charges and set up: I don't pay them. Tough noogies to the dealer.
    : Extra insurance: Never.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-16-2017 at 03:29 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Just an update. I went with the 2015 RT Limited. The difference between the RT-S and the RT Limited was about the same as the GPS plus I really wanted the SE6. I purchased it here locally through Lifestyles in Mount Vernon. They are a forum sponsor. It is brand new still in the shipping box. I am having a few accessories installed before I pick it up later this week. I will add some pictures at that time. Thank you to everyone who replied for your assistance.

Spyder Garage

on your new and excellent choice as well. Ride safe!
    2014 RTL-SE6 Cognac (Current Love)
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium Metallic (Pre Loved)

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well done!

Give yourself about 300 miles to make the transition from 2 wheels to 3. The Spyder is a new animal, but once you've adapted you'll appreciate the stability that 3 wheels brings.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's to lots of "Miles & Smiles"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Read the do's and don'ts and you should be good to go.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Love my 15 RTL!
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red