Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmets with Built in Microphone Suggetions

Hi everyone, hope you are all well. Really loving the forum so far, I kinda got scoffed at for getting a Spyder RT by the guys at work last year so this is a great place to be.

This summer after my wife has finished teaching we are planning on going on a little road trip down south to Florida and then across to California. I am really excited about it as we have only done some short trips around Iowa before but I used to do lots of long drives when I was younger and loved it. Since this will be some long distances at high speeds we are looking at getting some new helmets. The ones we have now are good, but they have no Bluetooth or other build in communication options meaning most chats have to wait until we stop.

We both prefer modular helmets, although currently we are wearing N21 Durangos. I also would like to not get a Can-Am helmet is possible, I am just not a big fan of their helmets and never was. We thought that it was time to try again which is why we have the N21's but they really haven't changed my mind. Any suggestions for helmets we could use instead that already have a communications system built in (as opposed to all of the Can Am ones which require you to buy the system separately.) would be amazing. Thanks in advance everyone!

I said it down below, but once again I would like to thank everyone for their help. We are now looking at getting some Cycle Gear helmets, and even found some on the website someone sent me in PM called http://www.used.forsale/motorcycle-helmets. Right now I am in the middle or negotiationg with a seller who has some really good helmets, thanks again for everyone advising what kind we should get so we can talk while riding.
    Last edited by MrBobJ; 07-18-2017 at 10:57 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrBobJ View Post
    Hi everyone, hope you are all well. Really loving the forum so far, I kinda got scoffed at for getting a Spyder RT by the guys at work last year so this is a great place to be.

This summer after my wife has finished teaching we are planning on going on a little road trip down south to Florida and then across to California. I am really excited about it as we have only done some short trips around Iowa before but I used to do lots of long drives when I was younger and loved it. Since this will be some long distances at high speeds we are looking at getting some new helmets. The ones we have now are good, but they have no Bluetooth or other build in communication options meaning most chats have to wait until we stop.

We both prefer modular helmets, although currently we are wearing N21 Durangos. I also would like to not get a Can-Am helmet is possible, I am just not a big fan of their helmets and never was. We thought that it was time to try again which is why we have the N21's but they really haven't changed my mind. Any suggestions for helmets we could use instead that already have a communications system built in (as opposed to all of the Can Am ones which require you to buy the system separately.) would be amazing. Thanks in advance everyone!
    Check out Cycle Gear, either at a local store or on line. They have a great selection and the one I have is great.
    Some of their new ones even have the Sena unit. They come with all the speakers and microphone built in, as well as a charging dongle.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

You can add a sena to any helmet.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joebryanjr View Post
    Check out Cycle Gear, either at a local store or on line. They have a great selection and the one I have is great.
    Some of their new ones even have the Sena unit. They come with all the speakers and microphone built in, as well as a charging dongle.
    My wife and I have Cycle Gear Bilt Modular helmets with built in sytem..They have never failed us in 4 years..

Spyder Garage

My suggestion would be to go to a motorcycle superstore if there is one in your area and try on helmets. Better to find ones that fit in the store than have to return one that you ordered. Also you may find some that have the communication system built in or have the units you can add. I would always be hesitant to buy a helmet without trying it on. To me a helmet is my most important piece of equipment!!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I have the Sena units for our modular helmets and have a Sena Cavalry built in for my 1/2 helmet. Really nice units.
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Spyder Garage

If you opt for Cycle Gear carefully read the reviews of every helmet with a built-in comm system. Some of them are junk that does not perform well and cannot communicate with with non-Cycle Gear systems.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default bluetooth systems

Hi we have used Nolan helmets for years, not the cheapest but they have many types and have their own communication systems. But we purchased a bluetooth system from Zooz.com at the Utah Redwoods rally last year. Very easy for self install and they have worked great. For rider to passenger communication they are easy to use can be connected to the cell
    phone and your GPS. Customer service is great they will walk you through any problems. The only other system I have used is the nolan system but it was not wireless at the time. I am not real electronically smart but managed this system
    on my own. I know others perferr other systems so check them all out. Good luck Bob. Also why not go to the
    Red Rocks Rally in Sept for fun and farkles.
    Last edited by cheska; 07-15-2017 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Tried to change my grammer HA HA
    900 Ryker Wifes

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SENA Headquarters MotorcycleDave

I have just what you want check out the new
    for 2017 Cavalry helmet, it has everything built in.
    Give me a call for my special Spyder member price,
    on this or any other product I have .
    Ride Safe
    Dave2017 Cavalry Helmet.jpeg

Spyder Garage

OP: Good questions all.

There have been many discussions on helmets and communicators.

Best advice is to go to a local shop and try various brands and sizing to see what fits you best. Then you have the various options for communicators. If price is out of line locally, then you know what brand and size to order for yourself.

The general concensus after much discussion seems to favor Sena units. They can be attached to "most" other brands of helmets.

I have used Chatterbox, Sena, N-com, and Cardo. For reception and distance--Sena wins hands down.

We have used Nolan helmets for years--they feature built-in rather than add-on installation of communicators. The Senas work on all but the last couple years. The lip on the newer Nolans is to big to attach the Sena units. We therefore are now using N-com Bluetooth. The installation is very easy, as they are snap in right into the helmet areas. The background noise is missing, but the range on the N-com 1's leaves a bit to be desired. I still vote for Sena.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-15-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Bluetooth

I didn't want to spend too much money on a Sena, so I bought the IDEAPRO set from amaxon, I paid $50, thinking if it's bad I can bite the bullet and get a more expensive one. I bought it in December and it has been working great. Great sound, people I talk to hear me very clearly, and battery lasts a long time. I got caught in major downpours and the unit didn't blink. I would not invest in a helmet that comes with it's own builtin bluetooth, if something breaks you will have to send it in for repairs and you won't have a helmet.
    Enjoy!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the advice folks, very helpful. I am planning on checking out the big bike shop a couple towns over soon, just wanted to get some information about what helmets to look at from people who wear them instead of people earning commission from selling them. Seems like Cycle Gear and Sena are going to be the two companies I want to look at from everyones replies here so when I do go shopping I will sound a little bit knowledgeable. Thanks again everyone!

Spyder Garage

Default headsets

I have the Uclear, wife and I both love them, no mics in the way.

Spyder Garage

Default I second that...

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    My wife and I have Cycle Gear Bilt Modular helmets with built in sytem..They have never failed us in 4 years..
    My husband and I have the Bilt Modular helmets from Cycle Gear also. (Techno II) They are very comfy after a couple hours of break-in time and we could not ask for better sound quality. It cancels out all the road noise and intercom is super clear. We both ride our own bikes and it is soooooo nice to be able to communicate while on the road.

Spyder Garage

My wife and i have hjc 3/4 helmets with face shield and sena smh5 headsets. At 75-80 mph
    They are crystal clear.one thing to consider is if you get the helmet with built in blutooth
    And lets just say for arguement sake the helmet gets dropped and cracks you will
    Have to replace the unit as a whole,if you add on comms separately you can just
    Replace the helmet and change over comms unit.
    Just my 2cents

Spyder Garage

Default Sena Cavalry

I just bought (it arrived today) the Sena Cavalry helmet. I bought it locally, however he did not have one in stock so had to order it in directly from Sena distributor. I normally wear either a large, or an extra large helmet. I saw these at a bike show and was able to try one on....it was a medium and felt good. Anyway, I ordered one on Friday....a medium size, and it arrived today and fits perfectly. I should add that I always wear wither a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet, so the Cavalry to me is ideal. Haven't had a chance to see how the b/t works. Anyone considering one of these, Remember THEY FIT DIFFERENT than my current helmet, a JVC.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I have just what you want check out the new
    for 2017 Cavalry helmet, it has everything built in.
    Give me a call for my special Spyder member price,
    on this or any other product I have .
    Ride Safe
    Dave2017 Cavalry Helmet.jpeg
    Just curious, is that helmet equipped with everything setup to go right out of the box? I don't think I've seen these locally, so it would be hard to determine the sizing.
    HAND'S UP:
    The only sure way of getting rid of bad habits is to create good ones.
    AND, by the way, this will not happen on auto pilot.

It's time for a YOU-turn!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderHands View Post
    Just curious, is that helmet equipped with everything setup to go right out of the box? I don't think I've seen these locally, so it would be hard to determine the sizing.
    I've had one for a month or so and love it. It is slightly large fitting. I wear a larger 1/2 and purchased a large. The fit is still very good.

It comes with everything. The speakers are built in above the ears and the mike is above your eyebrows. I have no problems hearing even at interstate speeds and other riders report zero wind noise. When on the phone, the other person has no idea that I am riding unless I tell them.
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Spyder Garage

Default Sizing

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderHands View Post
    Dave, my JVChalf helmet is XL. I ordered the Sena Cavalry in M and it fits perfectly, couldn't be happier. I am having trouble pairing it with my SM10 BT dongle that I bought from you though.

Bruce from Chilliwack, BC
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Dave, my JVChalf helmet is XL. I ordered the Sena Cavalry in M and it fits perfectly, couldn't be happier. I am having trouble pairing it with my SM10 BT dongle that I bought from you though.

Bruce from Chilliwack, BC
    Hey Bruce: I'm not Dave, so just wanted to let you know so you can contact him and get the help you're needing.

Hope this helps!
    HAND'S UP:
    The only sure way of getting rid of bad habits is to create good ones.
    AND, by the way, this will not happen on auto pilot.

It's time for a YOU-turn!!!