Spyder Garage

Default help info for a trip

I am considering riding to San Antonio from San Diego Ca. to visit a good friend. I've been told it is a long barren trip so I'm interested if anyone has suggestions about routes, places in route and anything else. Is April a good time to go? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Long ride

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsd1 View Post
    I am considering riding to San Antonio from San Diego Ca. to visit a good friend. I've been told it is a long barren trip so I'm interested if anyone has suggestions about routes, places in route and anything else. Is April a good time to go? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
    In my opinion, the only way this trip could be boring is to stay on Interstates. Check out Salton Sea if you've not been there. Go through Prescott, AZ and check out he downtown bars. There is a huge hole in the ground for a copper mine in SE New Mexico. Check out the mysterious lights in Marfa, TX. Do some research on state maps and the Internet for scenic roads and stops.April should be a perfect time that far south, but I personally couldn't contain myself waiting that long. Don't plan on more than 250-300 miles/day.
    My brother and I have taken long motorcycle trips each year for the last thirteen years. I aged out of two wheels two years ago, went to Bonneville Speed Week last year from Nashville, and leave next week for the Experimental Aircraft Association meet in Oshkosh, WI next week. I'm keeping busy banking memories for when I can't.
    Last edited by Joerolwing; 07-13-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRIP

Quote Originally Posted by Joerolwing View Post
    In my opinion, the only way this trip could be boring is to stay on Interstates. Check out Salton Sea if you've not been there. Go through Prescott, AZ and check out he downtown bars. There is a huge hole in the ground for a copper mine in SE New Mexico. Check out the mysterious lights in Marfa, TX. Do some research on state maps and the Internet for scenic roads and stops.April should be a perfect time that far south, but I personally couldn't contain myself waiting that long. Don't plan on more than 250-300 miles/day.
    .......Try - Google maps for pin point views of everything .... you don't say what Spyder , but gas should not be a problem for you...... but with google you can pick where you want beforehand ..... good luck , enjoy, be safe .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default trip

https://trips.furkot.com/?hl=en-US I have not tried this site yet but looks intersting.

Spyder Garage

It looks as if it will be difficult to avoid Interstates 8 and 10 for part of your trip. There don't seem to be many backroad alternatives, but If you have the time, when you reach Benson, AZ, take Highway 80 to the towns of Tombstone (gunfight at the OK corral) and Bisbee (interesting old mining town). Then continue on 80 and either follow it back to I-10 or turn east on Highway 9 (about 15 miles before I-10) and follow it along the Arizona/New Mexico borders with Mexico toward El Paso. If you choose I-10, it will take you through Lordsburg, Deming and Las Cruces, NM, before turning south just west of El Paso. It's a lot of open spaces and 75 to 85 mph speed limits. Though it may not interest you, El Paso is home to the largest Harley dealer in the U.S. (according to the dealer).

From El Paso, I would stay on I-10 heading toward San Antonio until reaching the town of Van Horn (about 200 miles east) then turn Southeast onto Highway 90 and follow it all the way to San Antonio. As you come down the hill into Van Horn, be sure to look toward the right so you don't miss the "Diesel Fried Chicken" sign painted on an old white building. I'm told that's a west Texas delicacy.

Highway 90 will take you through Big Bend country which can be pretty spectacular. You'll pass through the towns of Marfa (home of the "Marfa Lights"), Alpine (close to the McDonald Observatory), and Langtry (home of Judge Roy Bean, Law West of the Pecos). You'll eventually end up in San Antonio. From El Paso to San Antonio on I-10 is about 570 miles. Via Highway 90 it's longer but much more interesting. April will mean temperatures in the 70s to low 80s unless weather trends are abnormal and that's not too bad at all.

Whatever you decide upon, have a safe and enjoyable trip.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Default san diego to san antonio

my suggestion taker a northern trek along the northern Arizona and northern new Mexico borders to keep out of the oppressive heat lower Colorado lots of twisty roads great sights after texas border good luck yes marfa is great the lajitas mountain road is excellent terlingua area is neat but west tx till mid texas wind it up roll 80 on 10 till keerville them get on 16 to bandera and follow into san antonio for some stunning roads on 16

enjoy the trip

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Use the avoid highways feature on Google Maps

US60 or Route 66 for portions of that trip, it will take you through some small towns and americana.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Yep you can avoid the interstates..

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    It looks as if it will be difficult to avoid Interstates 8 and 10 for part of your trip. There don't seem to be many backroad alternatives, but If you have the time, when you reach Benson, AZ, take Highway 80 to the towns of Tombstone (gunfight at the OK corral) and Bisbee (interesting old mining town). Then continue on 80 and either follow it back to I-10 or turn east on Highway 9 (about 15 miles before I-10) and follow it along the Arizona/New Mexico borders with Mexico toward El Paso. If you choose I-10, it will take you through Lordsburg, Deming and Las Cruces, NM, before turning south just west of El Paso. It's a lot of open spaces and 75 to 85 mph speed limits. Though it may not interest you, El Paso is home to the largest Harley dealer in the U.S. (according to the dealer).

From El Paso, I would stay on I-10 heading toward San Antonio until reaching the town of Van Horn (about 200 miles east) then turn Southeast onto Highway 90 and follow it all the way to San Antonio. As you come down the hill into Van Horn, be sure to look toward the right so you don't miss the "Diesel Fried Chicken" sign painted on an old white building. I'm told that's a west Texas delicacy.

Highway 90 will take you through Big Bend country which can be pretty spectacular. You'll pass through the towns of Marfa (home of the "Marfa Lights"), Alpine (close to the McDonald Observatory), and Langtry (home of Judge Roy Bean, Law West of the Pecos). You'll eventually end up in San Antonio. From El Paso to San Antonio on I-10 is about 570 miles. Via Highway 90 it's longer but much more interesting. April will mean temperatures in the 70s to low 80s unless weather trends are abnormal and that's not too bad at all.

Whatever you decide upon, have a safe and enjoyable trip.
    That is why I luv my Butler Maps...shows all those backroads.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Depending upon the weather at the time of your trip I would recommend either the northern or southern routes:

Southern route is simple: I-8 to Casa Grande, AZ then I-10 through Tucson, AZ Lordsburg, NM and on to SA. I-8 will not be pretty but once past Tucson on I-10 you will get into high desert and it won't be so boring. If you haven't toured the Sonoran Desert before you could stop and take a look at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (more like a desert zoo than a museum with local desert creatures), Old Tucson movie studio, Davis-Monthan AFB "boneyard" (where old military aircraft are stored) or the Pima Air Museum (right off I-10 and features a huge display of retired military aircraft). There is also a old ICBM missile silo which you can tour a few miles south of Tucson on I-19. If you like Mexican food I recommend Mi Nidito on South 4th Avenue in Tucson. If you are more into burgers or fried chicken/steak I recommend Lucky Wishbone (several sites around Tucson). Karchner Caverns is not too far off I-10 southeast of Benson but you may need reservations (call ahead of time to find open times). I have not been there yet but from people that have they say it is outstanding.

Northern route can take several avenues: From Casa Grande, AZ I-10 to Phoenix then east on SR60 to Globe and follow the Salt River Canyon northeast to Show Low where you intersect with 260 east all the way to I-25 in NM. Or you can take I-17 north to Flagstaff and I-40 east passing by Meteor Crater (just outside Flagstaff), the Petrified Forest National Park and Painted Desert and some Navajo trading posts at the AZ-NM border. Be sure you check the weather carefully if you go this route because storms and very cold weather are possible when the altitude rises. Some parts of this route reach 7,000 feet and most are around 4,000. If either route takes you south to I-10 again you can take several local highways east passing through White Sands (the park and missile range) and close to Carlsbad Caverns, NM.

Good luck and happy trails!