Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belt Tensioner

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tensioner

I bought a 2016 F3T in March and have a big trip coming soon. My belt starts to vibrate at about 70 mph which is the speed I like to cruise at. I talked to my dealer about putting on a belt tensioner and he recommended tightening my belt a bit which should move that vibration out of my sweet spot. Does this work?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know about tightening the belt but an idler works. I have the BRP idler with over 9000 trouble free miles on it but there is a HUGE discussion going on in another thread about upgrading BRPs idler to two bearings or buy Docs. This will be a never ending topic until BRP offers a more resilient solution. My thoughts.

Spyder Garage

NO it doesn't,and it may accelerate bearing wear.

What it DOES do is change the "frequency" of the harmonic, but not when it arrives.

Get the Doc Humphrey's tensioner setup. It surely is the superior set up.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get the one from Doc Humphreys!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    I don't know about tightening the belt but an idler works. I have the BRP idler with over 9000 trouble free miles on it but there is a HUGE discussion going on in another thread about upgrading BRPs idler to two bearings or buy Docs. This will be a never ending topic until BRP offers a more resilient solution. My thoughts.

Mine had close to 12,000 miles on it before it started it's swan song. The two bearing set up I am puting in should fix that. Now if I did not already own the BRP one I would have purchased Doc's.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Does anyone have Doc's phone number?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by I-Day View Post
    Does anyone have Doc's phone number?
    Go here-

http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/roadster

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Well I just read all the posts on the other thread called Belt Tensioners and am more confused now than ever! I spent 26K for my ride and shouldn't have to pay another penny to eliminate belt vibration. It amazes me how BRP just ignored this and doesn't fix it under recall! At this point I think I'll just live with the vibration cause I don't want to spend another $265 plus the installation and still have a problem!

Spyder Garage

Default Well...yes

The vibration point will vary with the tension on the belt. Now the F3 has an even longer belt so it may be a bit different. There is a range you should keep the belt tightened to but we have found it works best on the looser side. Your vibration may come before the 70 but you will not have it there anymore... Tensioner seems to be the method of choice from what you see....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Well I just read all the posts on the other thread called Belt Tensioners and am more confused now than ever! I spent 26K for my ride and shouldn't have to pay another penny to eliminate belt vibration. It amazes me how BRP just ignored this and doesn't fix it under recall! At this point I think I'll just live with the vibration cause I don't want to spend another $265 plus the installation and still have a problem!
    The BRP tensioner is under $40, and it's an easy install for a do it yourself-er.
    Just check it every thousand miles or so and you should be good to go.

Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Changing belt tension either way will change not only the frequency, but also the severity and the speed (or Speeds) at which it occurs. A belt is like a guitar or piano string. Change the tension and you change the characteristics. The trouble with this approach is the 'Goldie Locks' effect. You might get a much better result than you started with. And you might make it worse.

A good belt vibration dampener will give you what you are looking for, for sure. If you ever have anything done which requires removing the belt, you may have to start all over again with hunting for a better vibration scenerio if you go with the tension changing approach. This is all eliminated with a good belt vibration dampener.

As far as too much tension on the belt drive. Yes, this will probably cause your rear wheel bearings to fail prematurely and can also destroy the front output shaft bearings as well. But there is a very wide range in acceptable tension and I would think it unlikely that a Spyder tech would exceed this limit.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I like the fact that with our Vibration Damper you can reduce the tension and still not have vibration. They "say" that more tension on the belt won't hurt the bearings, but BRP has reduced the recommended tension at least a couple of times. I think higher tensions will cause rear bearings to wear out quicker and probably is not good for the transmission either.
    Our website address is: http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/road...amper-products

We had to remove our phone number from the site since we were getting crank calls at all hours. If you email us here or from the site, we will promptly get back with you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Doc,
    You guys ship SUPER quick!
    I ordered one for my new bike today, and I already received an email saying that it was shipped.
    It even had a routing number!! Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Doc's

I recently installed Doc's tensioner and it's perfect. Install was straight forward and all is perfect. I recently went to the Bay area ( San Francisco ) and not a vibe noticed--- it was perfect.

Oh --- did I say it's perfect

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I use the one from Can am and love it!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Default Re BRP Tensioner

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderNeil View Post
    The BRP tensioner is under $40, and it's an easy install for a do it yourself-er.
    Just check it every thousand miles or so and you should be good to go.

Neil
    I put a brp tensioner on vibration still there

Spyder Garage

I put a "Smoothspyder" tensioner on when my bike was new. This eliminated 80% of the vibration. The rest of the vibration was eliminated by removing all three Kenda tyres and replacing them with quality automobile tyres. Smooth up to 90mph (not interested in going any faster).
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

I have to go with the Smoothspyder option. Very good construction of tensioner. Able to adjust amount of tension you need on belt. Easy to install and quiet. Costs a few bucks more then the others but what the heck we paid some 25+ on these things what's a few more.

I am happy with the Smoothspyder option..

JMHO

Spyder Garage

This is my first post here. I had my maiden voyage traveling 330 miles yesterday, we visited Crater Lake and Diamond lake. I have a new 2016 F3 Limited. After doing some searches on here, I now know this crazy vibration is fixable. I was about to call the dealer to start asking. Love the forum. So my question is, there is a lot of recommendations on here for the tensioners, but seems I am limited due to my model. Looks like my only aftermarket option is the Smoothspyder. Has any other owners of a 2016 F3 Limited installed this? Any feedback? Thanks in advance.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder4me View Post
    This is my first post here. I had my maiden voyage traveling 330 miles yesterday, we visited Crater Lake and Diamond lake. I have a new 2016 F3 Limited. After doing some searches on here, I now know this crazy vibration is fixable. I was about to call the dealer to start asking. Love the forum. So my question is, there is a lot of recommendations on here for the tensioners, but seems I am limited due to my model. Looks like my only aftermarket option is the Smoothspyder. Has any other owners of a 2016 F3 Limited installed this? Any feedback? Thanks in advance.
    We also sell a kit for your F3. That would be a kit #2 - F3.

http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/road...amper-products

Spyder Garage

Default F3-T OEM drivebelt vibration damper

I bought a 2016 F3T in March and have a big trip coming soon. My belt starts to vibrate at about 70 mph which is the speed I like to cruise at. I talked to my dealer about putting on a belt tensioner and he recommended tightening my belt a bit which should move that vibration out of my sweet spot. Does this work?
    Answer from Can Am customer service regarding their OEM belt damper accessory... didn't even mention their OEM damper... wonder why? Next to last paragraph answers all and any questions directed to customer service. Give em a call and confirm you have a problem. Enjoy the free vibration massage while riding in belt vibration range. BTW feel free to refer to case number. She is an erudite BRP guru... you can tell by her answer to belt vibration issue.

"Good day Mr. A*****,

Thank you for taking the time to contact BRP.

In response to your request regarding the vibration on your F3 Spyder, please note that the Spyder drive belt is a tensioned string system that transmits the drive pinion torque to the rear sprocket via the tension of the upper part of the belt.

The natural response of a string system is to vibrate when stretched and released at different speeds and strengths. The accumulated energy of these movements in the belt will be dissipated throughout the entire vehicle through the drive pinion and the rear sprocket.

We suggest you contact your local BRP dealership, they might be able to adjust your belt to displace the vibration, but it will not eliminate it as it is normal for a belt-driven vehicle to vibrate.

Should you have any other questions or comments, do not hesitate to reach us by replying to this email or call us at 1-888-272-9222.

Once again, thank you for contacting BRP.

Sandra B.
    Customer Service Representative

ref:_00D301Fh2R._5000c1NDMpo:ref"
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

ALL Belt Dampeners are Placebos, in my opinion, after 7500 miles of " Tweeking" tests on my 2016 RT Limited. Belts flex, stretch, expansion, contraction, under different loads, such as acceleration, deceleration, different speeds, wind velocity with Wind Screen up or down, up hill, or down hill, and tires wearing, changing the original balancing! Sorry, but there are no permement " Fixes" to eliminate Belt Chatter Vibration completely on these Spyders with long belts, as BRP Customer Service Rep. confesses! Drive shafts work well on motorcycles, but they are much shorter lenghts. If they were long, like on Soyders, then even the Drive Shafts would need to be balenced, and the Differential Gears would also need balancing and service. So, for those of us who are too old to handle Two Wheelers, then we either have to accept the Vibration factors, or,.........buy a Motorized Wheel Chair. ( Personally, that option is on hold for me. ) I had a BRP new 1973 Three Cylinder Free Air Two Cycle Snowmobile that ran like a Raped Ape, but was belt driven. The Vibration over 50 MPH was massive, even way back then, but it was the fastest Machine money could buy at that time. No one minded the Vibration when they could get that high speed. But, if "Some One" comes out with a conversion kit that totally eliminates the belt vibration, COMPLETELY, on my Spyder, for $500 or less, and instals it under Guarantee, I will be one of the fiirst in line to purchase. BRP will never change from their Belt driven system. They will keep passing the buck to the Dealers who will keep BSing the new owners unfamiliar with the problem. It is not a Safety problem, so BRP don't need to address it any more than they already have, by their Plastic Dampener device.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser37 View Post
    Answer from Can Am customer service regarding their OEM belt damper accessory... didn't even mention their OEM damper... wonder why? Next to last paragraph answers all and any questions directed to customer service. Give em a call and confirm you have a problem. Enjoy the free vibration massage while riding in belt vibration range. BTW feel free to refer to case number. She is an erudite BRP guru... you can tell by her answer to belt vibration issue.

"Good day Mr. A*****,

Thank you for taking the time to contact BRP.

In response to your request regarding the vibration on your F3 Spyder, please note that the Spyder drive belt is a tensioned string system that transmits the drive pinion torque to the rear sprocket via the tension of the upper part of the belt.

The natural response of a string system is to vibrate when stretched and released at different speeds and strengths. The accumulated energy of these movements in the belt will be dissipated throughout the entire vehicle through the drive pinion and the rear sprocket.

We suggest you contact your local BRP dealership, they might be able to adjust your belt to displace the vibration, but it will not eliminate it as it is normal for a belt-driven vehicle to vibrate.

Should you have any other questions or comments, do not hesitate to reach us by replying to this email or call us at 1-888-272-9222.

Once again, thank you for contacting BRP.

Sandra B.
    Customer Service Representative

ref:_00D301Fh2R._5000c1NDMpo:ref"
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default My last 3 H-D's were belt drive. No vibration!

I just don't understand why these machines need a belt tensioner at all .! If Harley has the same final drive system with no vibration then is there an engineering issue here ..??!
    Sorry for the rant, but really why is there an issue with this on these very pricey machines..?
    BRP want to chime in here ..?
    Thanks for allowing me to express my opinion here .!
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Engineering. It needs a tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    We also sell a kit for your F3. That would be a kit #2 - F3.

http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/road...amper-products
    So this kit will fit the F3 Limited? Your site is really unclear by not listing the Limited series, only the F3 model. Thanks.