Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by I-Day View Post
    Does anyone have Doc's phone number?
    Go here-

http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/roadster

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Well I just read all the posts on the other thread called Belt Tensioners and am more confused now than ever! I spent 26K for my ride and shouldn't have to pay another penny to eliminate belt vibration. It amazes me how BRP just ignored this and doesn't fix it under recall! At this point I think I'll just live with the vibration cause I don't want to spend another $265 plus the installation and still have a problem!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well...yes

The vibration point will vary with the tension on the belt. Now the F3 has an even longer belt so it may be a bit different. There is a range you should keep the belt tightened to but we have found it works best on the looser side. Your vibration may come before the 70 but you will not have it there anymore... Tensioner seems to be the method of choice from what you see....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by I-Day View Post
    Well I just read all the posts on the other thread called Belt Tensioners and am more confused now than ever! I spent 26K for my ride and shouldn't have to pay another penny to eliminate belt vibration. It amazes me how BRP just ignored this and doesn't fix it under recall! At this point I think I'll just live with the vibration cause I don't want to spend another $265 plus the installation and still have a problem!
    The BRP tensioner is under $40, and it's an easy install for a do it yourself-er.
    Just check it every thousand miles or so and you should be good to go.

Neil
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Changing belt tension either way will change not only the frequency, but also the severity and the speed (or Speeds) at which it occurs. A belt is like a guitar or piano string. Change the tension and you change the characteristics. The trouble with this approach is the 'Goldie Locks' effect. You might get a much better result than you started with. And you might make it worse.

A good belt vibration dampener will give you what you are looking for, for sure. If you ever have anything done which requires removing the belt, you may have to start all over again with hunting for a better vibration scenerio if you go with the tension changing approach. This is all eliminated with a good belt vibration dampener.

As far as too much tension on the belt drive. Yes, this will probably cause your rear wheel bearings to fail prematurely and can also destroy the front output shaft bearings as well. But there is a very wide range in acceptable tension and I would think it unlikely that a Spyder tech would exceed this limit.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like the fact that with our Vibration Damper you can reduce the tension and still not have vibration. They "say" that more tension on the belt won't hurt the bearings, but BRP has reduced the recommended tension at least a couple of times. I think higher tensions will cause rear bearings to wear out quicker and probably is not good for the transmission either.
    Our website address is: http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/road...amper-products

We had to remove our phone number from the site since we were getting crank calls at all hours. If you email us here or from the site, we will promptly get back with you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Doc,
    You guys ship SUPER quick!
    I ordered one for my new bike today, and I already received an email saying that it was shipped.
    It even had a routing number!! Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Doc's

I recently installed Doc's tensioner and it's perfect. Install was straight forward and all is perfect. I recently went to the Bay area ( San Francisco ) and not a vibe noticed--- it was perfect.

Oh --- did I say it's perfect

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Re BRP Tensioner

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderNeil View Post
    The BRP tensioner is under $40, and it's an easy install for a do it yourself-er.
    Just check it every thousand miles or so and you should be good to go.

Neil
    I put a brp tensioner on vibration still there

Spyder Garage

I put a "Smoothspyder" tensioner on when my bike was new. This eliminated 80% of the vibration. The rest of the vibration was eliminated by removing all three Kenda tyres and replacing them with quality automobile tyres. Smooth up to 90mph (not interested in going any faster).
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

I have to go with the Smoothspyder option. Very good construction of tensioner. Able to adjust amount of tension you need on belt. Easy to install and quiet. Costs a few bucks more then the others but what the heck we paid some 25+ on these things what's a few more.

I am happy with the Smoothspyder option..

JMHO

Spyder Garage

This is my first post here. I had my maiden voyage traveling 330 miles yesterday, we visited Crater Lake and Diamond lake. I have a new 2016 F3 Limited. After doing some searches on here, I now know this crazy vibration is fixable. I was about to call the dealer to start asking. Love the forum. So my question is, there is a lot of recommendations on here for the tensioners, but seems I am limited due to my model. Looks like my only aftermarket option is the Smoothspyder. Has any other owners of a 2016 F3 Limited installed this? Any feedback? Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Badco149 View Post
    I have to go with the Smoothspyder option. Very good construction of tensioner. Able to adjust amount of tension you need on belt. Easy to install and quiet. Costs a few bucks more then the others but what the heck we paid some 25+ on these things what's a few more.

I am happy with the Smoothspyder option..

JMHO
    I took my SmoothSpyder off to try Doc Humphries. The Smooth Spyder was quite a bit heavier and put a lot more tension on the belt. Worked ok, but not near as good as Doc's.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?