Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Belt Tensioner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I put the BRP tensioner on my RT and on first ride with it installed I heard a clicking sound. So, went home to pull the Tupperware and have a look. And right next to the pulley in the belt is A DAMN PEBBLE STICKING UP THRU THE BELT!! Spyder God looking out for me? I haven't ridden it since I found it. I need to wait until next month's payday to buy a new belt. I just hope it hasn't affected either sprocket.

If it's only a smallish pebble (damage site is less than 1/4 of the belts width) and it hasn't torn or frayed any, especially on the edges of the belt, then as far as the belt is concerned, you should be fairly safe to simply remove the pebble & ride on.

BUT, as you've already mentioned, a careful inspection of both front & rear pulleys is in order - the pebble may have damaged some of the teeth, either requiring remediation with a careful file, or if the damage is beyond that type of repair, replacement of the affected pulley... in which case you should probably replace the belt as well too!

Seriously, these belts are well able & up to to handling 'minor' damage from things like small pebbles, and unless there's any fraying or tearing at &/or beyond the initial hole/damage site, the belt will likely show a 'self healing' effect on any small holes thru use & is likely to be perfectly serviceable for many more miles yet.

But it's your ryde, and if you want to be sure to be sure!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-14-2019 at 01:54 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Badco149 View Post
    I have to go with the Smoothspyder option. Very good construction of tensioner. Able to adjust amount of tension you need on belt. Easy to install and quiet. Costs a few bucks more then the others but what the heck we paid some 25+ on these things what's a few more.

I am happy with the Smoothspyder option..

JMHO
    I took my SmoothSpyder off to try Doc Humphries. The Smooth Spyder was quite a bit heavier and put a lot more tension on the belt. Worked ok, but not near as good as Doc's.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If it's only a smallish pebble (damage site is less than 1/4 of the belts width) and it hasn't torn or frayed any, especially on the edges of the belt, then as far as the belt is concerned, you should be fairly safe to simply remove the pebble & ride on.

BUT, as you've already mentioned, a careful inspection of both front & rear pulleys is in order - the pebble may have damaged some of the teeth, either requiring remediation with a careful file, or if the damage is beyond that type of repair, replacement of the affected pulley... in which case you should probably replace the belt as well too!

Seriously, these belts are well able & up to to handling 'minor' damage from things like small pebbles, and unless there's any fraying or tearing at &/or beyond the initial hole/damage site, the belt will likely show a 'self healing' effect on any small holes thru use & is likely to be perfectly serviceable for many more miles yet.

But it's your ryde, and if you want to be sure to be sure!
    The pebble is almost dead center in the belt. I'll loosen up the tire/belt and check the sprockets and see up close how much damage was imparted. Maybe put a dab of epoxy in the hole. Thanks for your input.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I dunno about putting any epoxy in the hole...

I'm not professing this as something I know from experience or otherwise, but the belt guru's I've talked to about this sorta thing say these belts will 'self heal' to a certain extent once the offending object/pebble has been removed, so adding something like epoxy or anything that could well form a barrier to that 'self healing' & probably isn't such a good move.

The recommendation I got was to simply remove the pebble, check & clean up the pulleys & 're-shape' any partially damaged teeth on them &/or the belt, then ride on as per normal (altho I figured it might be smart just to take it a little gently at first! ) Once you're moving again, the action of rolling the belt over the drive sprockets will generate the self healing effect in the belt and away you go - well, unless the damage is too great of course, in which case the belt very likely fails then & there, with no further harm! But I did show them some pics of stones & damaged belts from here & the Oz forums, and they were pretty adamant that for most of the small pebbles & less than extensive damage shown, the belts should be able to continue safely, just so long as the damage hasn't spread along the belt, chewed or removed any teeth, &/or taken out more than 1/4 to 1/3rd of the longitudinal fibres in the belts....

So I reckon a small pebble poking right thru the belt that hasn't been there long enough to expand a tear along the belt or start the belt or hole edges obviously fraying a fair bit should be OK... but it is your Spyder & your belt! You can do whatever you like, I just put the info I had out there.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-14-2019 at 07:24 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

brp installed one from the factory on my 2019 f3s special series spyder I guess they are listening on all the complaints, about time brp
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    Maybe put a dab of epoxy in the hole. Thanks for your input.
    Don't use epoxy, use superglue. It forms a seriously strong bond with rubbers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    The top of the belt is like a guitar string vibrating and the damper is like pressing a finger on it and stopping it.
    Whilst that is true, a tensioned string (belt) will not vibrate on its own, it has to be energised buy some force. In this sense a roller as a damper is a band-aid because it's not dealing with the actual cause of the problem. It's notable that a good many Spyders do not suffer from the vibration, it seems that they do not have the energising force transmitted to the belt sufficiently to cause it to resonate.

My experience, and from what i've read, many others' experience, is that the resonance occurs when the engine applies power as it does when on cruise control when it modulates the throttle. Under these conditions the belt will undergo extra tension applied by the belt driving torque applied at the engine pulley and it seems that engine vibration is the force energising the resonance of the belt. Perhaps some engines are not as smooth in operation as others or perhaps there are engine mounting issues which don't absorb this excitation energy. BRP would do well to get on top of the real issue IMHO.

Spyder Garage

The belt on the Spyders is twice as long as on a Harley or other belt-Drive bikes. That’s why they need an idler/tensioner.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Old fashioned threshing machines were powered by a long, 20' to 30' or so, flat belt 6" to 8" wide. Too tight or too loose, they wouldn't stay on the pulleys. And they flopped and bounced all over the place. Sometimes they had to be twisted to help keep them quiet. I don't know that there is such a thing as an absolutely smooth running belt of any sort anywhere on a machine.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I'm in the belt dampener being a positive thing camp, but I've had an unusual thing happen. I've been smelling a rubber burning smell when I stop for a while now. I've checked my dampener for heat and belt wear, but have noticed none. I removed my arm from the unit to see, no burning rubber smell. I also noticed with the extremely low belt tension I'm running that the vibration, if any is noticed, is so minute that I may leave the dampener off. Pretty surprised by all this, my bike has a pretty good amount of belt vibration above 160 lbs.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.