Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Confused About Rear Car Tires Options

I've been researching replacement rear tires for my '15 RT Limited that is ridden 2-up 90% of the time. I've narrowed it down to 3 tires:
    a. Yokohama S Drive: 205/55R15
    1. same size as OEM tire. Excellent traction due to very soft compound. Is this a street version of a racing tire??????
    2. Variable milelage(9,000-25,000)
    b. Michelin Premier A/S:205/60/R15
    1. Excellent ratings on tirerack.coms
    2. starting tread depth 8/32nds
    c. Altimax RT43: 205/60/R15 91H/ & 215/60/R15 94T (does speed rating matter???)
    1. Highly recommended by Spyder riders
    2. Most cost effective tire of the 3.
    I've read that "any car tire is a big improvement over the OEM tire"
    Any constructive insights would be appreciated
    Thanks,
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Mike!
    ANY of them would be a vast improvement over the Kenda that comes stock.
    Pick the one that you can:
    1. get the best price on
    2. get the best delivery time on
    3. your mechanic is willing to mount on your bike.

There's not a bad one in the bunch!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have not tried the Yokohama S Drive: 205/55R15 due manly to the tire milage, as some have reported getting less then 10,000 miles. The Altimax RT43: 215/60/R15 94T for me was not the best in heavy rain. The Michelin Premier A/S:205/60/R15 is what replaced the Alimax and lasted 24,000 miles and it still performed better in the rain at it's wear bars then the Altimax did for me.
    Tonight I will be installing the wheel with the new Premier and expect even longer mileage as I will be now running it at 20# down from 25# as that wore out the center faster. This is the more expensive option as it ran me with tire, mounting, and taxes $144. The S Drive should handle better, but I can take most curves at close to twice the posted speed so any better would be a waste on me.

Which ever one you get (as Bob said) will be an improvment, and I would run it at 18-20# air pressure to get it's best wear and handling.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Can only speak

for the Altimax. We also ride two up most of the time and now have around 1400 miles on the Altimax. That mileage includes 200 miles in a heavy rain. The tire was great, no wiggle, waggle, slip, or hydroplane at any time. I have the 215/60 15 and we run it at 20 PSI. I replaced the fronts with Federals even though the Kendas still had good tread because we have a trip to Nova Scotia coming up and now have good rubber all around. I am very happy with the Altimax and the Federals.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I have not tried the Yokohama S Drive: 205/55R15 due manly to the tire milage, as some have reported getting less then 10,000 miles. The Altimax RT43: 215/60/R15 94T for me was not the best in heavy rain. The Michelin Premier A/S:205/60/R15 is what replaced the Alimax and lasted 24,000 miles and it still performed better in the rain at it's wear bars then the Altimax did for me.
    Tonight I will be installing the wheel with the new Premier and expect even longer mileage as I will be now running it at 20# down from 25# as that wore out the center faster. This is the more expensive option as it ran me with tire, mounting, and taxes $144. The S Drive should handle better, but I can take most curves at close to twice the posted speed so any better would be a waste on me.

Which ever one you get (as Bob said) will be an improvment, and I would run it at 18-20# air pressure to get it's best wear and handling.

I have 17k on my Yokohama s drive maybe it will go 5k more not bad, I have another on order

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE CHOICES + ANOTHER

......with most of the above, however the Pirelli P4 Four Season Plus may be better than any of above .... That being said even though the Yokohama has a softer compound ( and does wear a lot faster ) I'd say the Altimax and the Michelin have better Wet & Dry traction .... IF , repeat IF you run them at 18 psi or up to 20 psi ( I think 18 is better - for many reasons ) ...... Personally I'm going to try the Pirelli next ...... and as others have said KENDA rear tires are garbage ............... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-11-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...... and as Bob and others have said KENDA rear tires are garbage ............... Mike
    Well... That wasn't exactly what I said.

Spyder Garage

Default Beads or speed balance?

Bought my '13 rt about a month ago,l've put around 2000 miles on it so it's got 12,000 on it now and yes it needs a new tire.I put the altimax on my 1300 Vtx and loved it.Can you get it speed balanced on the Spyder rim or do you have to use the balance beads and if the beads how many ounces?

Spyder Garage

Default GARBAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Well... That wasn't exactly what I said.
    I apologize , I removed " YOU " from the comment the instant I saw it ..... again I'm very very sorry ... if I was totally ANAL , I'm sure I could find a post somewhere in your 83,500 + posts where you did use that term

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No big deal...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I apologize , I removed " YOU " from the comment the instant I saw it ..... again I'm very very sorry ... if I was totally ANAL , I'm sure I could find a post somewhere in your 83,500 + posts where you did use that term
    Yikes
    2015 RT-S , RED/BLACK

Spyder Garage

Default HIGH SPEED BALANCE

Quote Originally Posted by Papaw View Post
    Bought my '13 rt about a month ago,l've put around 2000 miles on it so it's got 12,000 on it now and yes it needs a new tire.I put the altimax on my 1300 Vtx and loved it.Can you get it speed balanced on the Spyder rim or do you have to use the balance beads and if the beads how many ounces?
    I doubt you will find a machine that can do it without special cones and they usually don't have them ( they are expensive )...... You can try Beads or Ride -On or the new stuff Lamont is selling ...... OR you can use what I use ....NOTHING ( in rear only ) my last three didn't have any weights ( they were car tires - not a Kenda ) and I had no issues with any of the tires or handling ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Mike

Guess I'll try nothing first and go from there

Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

[QUOTE=Papaw;1278746]Guess I'll try nothing first and go from there.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................... I try to go with the least expensive option if you have a few valid ones....... and I really haven't had any issues in 70,000 + miles ....... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-12-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default General Altimax RT43

I am running the General Altimax RT43 215/60 R15, as a rear tire on my 2014RTS-SE6.

I am running it @ 26 psi, and I have not had any problems, with the tire. Changed the kenda tire @ 5,824 miles ( in 6/20/2015) I have 12,776 miles on the General Altimax. I still have a lot of thread left. It has a built in "replace tire monitor system) in the tire rubber . Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papaw View Post

After I had my Yokohama mounted at a tire dealer I had to take it to a motorcycle shop to get it spin balanced. Running 20-21 LBS PSI in it after reading recommendations from BlueKnight911 and Peter Aawen. It does seem to run and handle extremely well. Well, it did before it had to go to the shop for repairs. I'm curious to see if there will be a notation about having a car tire on the rear when I get it back.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn't know you had handling issues with the Altimax in the rain. I've got Altimax #3 in the garage ready to install on my Spyder, I love it with the Federal Formoza's on the front. What are you running for front tires? FYI I run the rear Altimax at 28 psi.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default ALTIMAX REAR TIRE

Deanna777 @ 26 psi ....... SpyderAnn @ 28 psi ....... This is at or close to the recommended pressure for the Kenda which probably needs that much pressure to keep it from losing the bead ....... So why do you think the Altimax needs that much air pressure ???? ..............Thank you ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I didn't know you had handling issues with the Altimax in the rain. I've got Altimax #3 in the garage ready to install on my Spyder, I love it with the Federal Formoza's on the front. What are you running for front tires? FYI I run the rear Altimax at 28 psi.
    Ann,

I am running the Kumho Solus KH 16 in the 175R55/15 on the front. I was running that same tire in the 155R60/15 before, but the 175 handles better. I wish that the Michelin Premier was available in a size that fit the fronts as I am that impressed with how it handles rain.
    When the Kumho's wear out I my try the Federals, but that's going to be awhile yet.

About the Altimax,
    That was the rear tire we had on for the Alaska trip, and I was very happy with it until -
    Kathy noticed a loss of traction in the rain around 11,000 miles on the Alimax. I noticed that around 14,000 miles. When it got to 17,000 miles I was slipping and sliding the rear on any wet road. That is when I tried the Michelin.

Les

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

About the Altimax,
    That was the rear tire we had on for the Alaska trip, and I was very happy with it until -
    Kathy noticed a loss of traction in the rain around 11,000 miles on the Alimax. I noticed that around 14,000 miles. When it got to 17,000 miles I was slipping and sliding the rear on any wet road. That is when I tried the Michelin. Les
    Les,
    1. What pressure were you running in your Altimax at the time?????
    2. What size RT43 were you using, the 205/60R15 91H(same size as Premier) or the 215/60/R15 94T????
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Les,
    1. What pressure were you running in your Altimax at the time?????
    2. What size RT43 were you using, the 205/60R15 91H(same size as Premier) or the 215/60/R15 94T????
    Mike

Mike,

1) = 28# (too high)
    2) = 215/60/R15 94T

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ran 23 psi in the Kumho Ecsta AST, that I just traded in.
    (225/50-15 sizing)

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

if it were for me and i am not using the kenda i would go with the 225x50R15 kumho ast

Spyder Garage

I just installed the General Altimax on the rear of my RSS and its the best thing I've done to my Spyder so far. I've only ridden about 150 miles on it so far but it is so much better than the stock Kenda. I didn't have any problems in the rain with it so far but it wasn't raining real hard. No matter what you pick it will be a big improvement over the Kenda.

Spyder Garage

I run 26# in my Altima. Tried 22lbs and the bike seemed to want to "wander" a bit. After I increased it to 26 lbs no more wandering. To each their own.. I can agree that this tire out performs the Kenda hands down! My wife's bike will also get the same tire real soon!

Kent
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.