Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking for purchase advice

Have done some test rides on Spyders and have decided I want to move in that direction. Not sure which model I want. What I do know is I will be doing some touring and want to tow a trailer. Budget restricts me to $10K and below, so slightly used will do. My idea, tell me if misguided, is to install a large Givi top bag for both passenger back rest, storage and additional lighting. Additionally, a taller windscreen to avoid buffeting. So back to my original question, unless my ideas are off base, what model would best suit my wants? Are the aftermarket accessories available? Then there’s the engine size...900 or 1300? Can I go 1300 on my budget? Read everything I could here and noticed it’s recommended to buy from a reputable dealer. So many questions...looking for your valuable knowledge from riders that have been there and don’t that to allow me to make a knowledgeable decision. For background on me...been rolling on 2 wheels for more than 50 years. Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

We've had the RT models only, so I can't speak for the other models. The RT comes with storage compartments already, but I don't know if you'll find one in your budget amount, especially with the 1330 motor. Don't get hung up on a dealer sale. There are lots of decent people out there that will likely be looking to just upgrade from a perfectly good older model. I would however have a dealer put it on a computer and see what it may or may not need (provided work was done at a dealer prior).
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Start here.....

10K is going to restrict your choices quite a bit. Your best bet is to look for a 2014 RTS but again 10k is going to be a problem.
    Begin here.........http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/f...-Owner-and-WTB.......good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes we just can't afford what we want or need...

My advice: save your money, and come back when you've got something realistic to work with.
    Good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you are being unrealistic.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I started out with a 2009 RS SE5. I love the semi-auto. trans. Sounds like you are already looking at the RS, great. If you can get a 1330 engine, all the better. The 6 seed and larger mill make a huge difference. I have owned three Spyder's , a 2009 RS SE5, a 2011 RT SE5 and a 2014 RT SE5. Both RT's were base models. I didn't need the luggage, chrome, the $1,000 BRP floorboards or any of the other, overpriced, factory gadgets. Much cheaper to do your own aftermarket add-ons. Both the RS and RT have their own personality. I invented the Seal Floorboards (1st. ever for the Spyder) to improve the riding comfort of the Spyder. Whatever you decide on, the Spyder is a whole new world of riding, especially for us geezers and those with special needs. Good luck, and please check out my website.
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think you are being unrealistic.
    Thanks Pete, sometimes we have to hear what we don’t want to hear. 😉 that’s why I like this forum, keep saying what you believe.

Spyder Garage

Hi Sage,

Re: Budget restricts me to $10K and below

I was in this same place 4 yrs ago.

Two local guys told me I needed an RT. Well, once they said, 'needed' the hairs stood up on the back of my neck.

I spent a fair amount of time shopping ( I knew it would only be a GS/RS on my budget ), but eventually found just what I wanted.

Find a local Spyder group & go riding, try them all.

Only you can know what you will want.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I would not own an RT if it was free; I'd take it but sell it ASAP. They remind me of a '59 Caddie.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would save more money and get a 1330 when you find a good deal.

Good Luck.

Spyder Garage

The Spyder has been around in one version or another long enough now you can find one in the 10K range, even less. But you may have to travel a bit to get it. Look over cycletrader.com and you'll see it is possible. Do your research on the different models and trasnsmissions. There is nothing wrong with a 990 engine. I bet most of the SL members started on one. Newer models typically improve but again, the 990 is solid so you shouldn't hesitate to start with one.

The nice thing is there are different models to suit different tastes, especially riding position. Do multiple test rides, find a local riding group and a good dealer when service is needed.

Good luck on your search. More Spyders are hitting the market now that riding season is near.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Sage,

Re: Budget restricts me to $10K and below

I was in this same place 4 yrs ago.

Two local guys told me I needed an RT. Well, once they said, 'needed' the hairs stood up on the back of my neck.

I spent a fair amount of time shopping ( I knew it would only be a GS/RS on my budget ), but eventually found just what I wanted.

Find a local Spyder group & go riding, try them all.

Only you can know what you will want.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I would not own an RT if it was free; I'd take it but sell it ASAP. They remind me of a '59 Caddie.
    Hey, I like '59 caddies
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Them thar's flame war startin' words, pardner! Me 'n my '59 Caddie RT will meet ya in the RT Forum if you've got the guts!

Spyder Garage

You can get an nice GS/RS for your budget if you are patient & can travel to get it.

I have an '08 GS & I fitted a Givi Maxia 52 litre top box with backrest pad (& xtra lights). My daughter never travelled very far so I can't say how comfortable it would be on a long haul.

The 25" touring screen keeps most of the wind off. I have fitted an extra lip on top of mine & find it great.

Fitted a hitch & pull a trailer. Don't even know it's there.

The 990 motor is powerful enough for all you will ask it to do.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most GS/RS's prior to 2010 are under $10k. There are quite a few at $8k which leaves you plenty to add Givi bags and other accessories. We have an 08 with the full Givi saddlebag and topcase, touring screen, comfort seat and heli-risers making it a fine touring machine. The 990 is a proven reliable motor.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Most GS/RS's prior to 2010 are under $10k. There are quite a few at $8k which leaves you plenty to add Givi bags and other accessories. We have an 08 with the full Givi saddlebag and topcase, touring screen, comfort seat and heli-risers making it a fine touring machine. The 990 is a proven reliable motor.
    There's one in Las Vegas for under $10k. It's listed here.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

When you are looking at budget, you'll want to consider maintenance as well as initial cost. Once that is said and done, I would only consider a 2012 if you get the older motor in the RT, but in the long run I think a 2014 or newer RT will be a better long term value. The 2013's had some heat issues, which have been solved with a modification, but I don't know how those have faired after the modifications in terms of repair (although I'm sure this is the place to research and find out).

The 2010 had issues that put me into a 2014 (which I love) and the 2011 is better, but it's the 2012 that those with the older motor seem to prefer.

The 2014's forward are just built and work better. They haven't had a meaningful change since, except for a new instrument cluster this year.

I would absolutely test ride if you can.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Hi ruralgirl,

Re: Them thar's flame war startin' words, pardner!

NOTE: I never said you should not own one.

I believe that you should own whatever you want as long as you can afford it and everything is within legal bounds.

I believe in to each, his ( or for you, her ) own.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Only a test ride will tell you which type of spyder works best for you. After you determine what type you are looking for, check Ebay and craigslist (don't let people scare you about craigslist, just be careful and meet in public places). The biggest thing you will need with your budget of $10k is patience. If you keep your eyes open, and don't rush things, you will find the bike for you. I have found a good source for used bikes is with people who want to upgrade and are looking to trade. Sometimes you can pick up their pre-owned unit for trade in value. That creates a win win for everyone.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldest Sage View Post
    Have done some test rides on Spyders and have decided I want to move in that direction. Not sure which model I want. What I do know is I will be doing some touring and want to tow a trailer. Budget restricts me to $10K and below, so slightly used will do. My idea, tell me if misguided, is to install a large Givi top bag for both passenger back rest, storage and additional lighting. Additionally, a taller windscreen to avoid buffeting. So back to my original question, unless my ideas are off base, what model would best suit my wants? Are the aftermarket accessories available? Then there’s the engine size...900 or 1300? Can I go 1300 on my budget? Read everything I could here and noticed it’s recommended to buy from a reputable dealer. So many questions...looking for your valuable knowledge from riders that have been there and don’t that to allow me to make a knowledgeable decision. For background on me...been rolling on 2 wheels for more than 50 years. Thanks in advance.
    Your budget is severely short on total dollars??? sorry, but you asked.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

For your budget, a used RS/GS would fit nicely, plus would leave some cash for farkeling. I just happen to have one available. AND I AM LOCAL!

May be a few days before we can get it out (the ice has to melt).

PM me if interested.

Happy shopping.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

I sent you a PM.
    This is a picture of the Spyder I mentioned in the PM.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Not likely you will find a 1330 in your price, but check out Caswells cycle's website under used as they have two 990's that are under $10,000. They are located in Mora, MN and are one of the best dealers around.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi ruralgirl,

Re: Them thar's flame war startin' words, pardner!

NOTE: I never said you should not own one.

I believe that you should own whatever you want as long as you can afford it and everything is within legal bounds.

I believe in to each, his ( or for you, her ) own.

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Jerry. I was just clowning around. I didn't really take your comment to heart.

Wendy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    Hi Jerry. I was just clowning around. I didn't really take your comment to heart.

Wendy
    Which color Cadillac were you talking about?

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1341468]Which color Cadillac were you talking about?

Pink'll do! Very cute clip. Eons ago, I sold Mary Kay cosmetics to help make ends meet, but never earned my pink Cadillac. Gads, those were miserable winter nights in the hills of upstate NY (mountains to anyone here in MI). Mini skirt and heels, 2 feet of snow, coming home 10-11pm on unfamiliar winding, steep roads which, with the new accumulation during the 3-4 hours of my "show" no longer gave a hint of where the edges were. I would've earned that pink Caddie!