Thread: First ride

Spyder Garage

Default First ride

Finally after buying my first used 2015 Spyder RTL I got out on a ride yesterday afternoon. Sqeeling brakes is that normal for a bike that was sitting at a dealership for a couple of months. Will this go away after riding for a while.

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on your new bike and first ride! Every ride will get better and more enjoyable as you learn how your bike responds to you and you to it. The brakes may be a bit dusty and thus squealing.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE SQUEEL

This is ONLY common when you stop or slow in reverse.... going forward they shouldn't ... you can get some spray products that will have some effect .... but as the other poster said , if it was not used for a long period it may need cleaning .... using them will do that .... but if it persists take it back ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My F3 brakes have always Sqeeled a little. Dealer said it was in normal range. Some here have said to spray with wheel/brake cleaner and the noise will go away. I have not remembered to purchase so I don't know if it actually helps.

Spyder Garage

and...what they said about the brakes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Try this....

Make a few straight line emergency stops at about 60 mph. This should heat them up and clean them and the disc off. If from brake dust some simple green sprayed on and hosed off will get the dust off...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default breaks

ride about 20 or 30 yds in reverse gentling riding your brake pedal.this has allways worked for me.

Spyder Garage

Default Led lights

Some of the led lights are burnt out on my left fender rear facing red lights. Do I have to change the whole piece or not likely can I just change the little bulbs if that is what they are. I have no idea because I just bought this bike, and I am new to all of this stuff.

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on getting your Spyder. Check out Ontario Spyder Ryders on Facebook. Lots of info and the occasional ride. Check out Stanley's BBQ. You will meet plenty of riders in the area.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    Some of the led lights are burnt out on my left fender rear facing red lights. Do I have to change the whole piece or not likely can I just change the little bulbs if that is what they are. I have no idea because I just bought this bike, and I am new to all of this stuff.
    LED lights are actually solid state devices soldered to a circuit board of some type. They should outlast you in normal use, which is why they don't make them repairable. Most of the vendors on this forum that provide LED products will provide a warranty, so it would help if you had the paperwork from the prior owner to show who provided / installed them.

Otherwise, you can either live with having one or two diodes burned out, or you can replace the whole fixture. Not too many other options.

BTW, LED's are not unique to Spyders, but the after-market products on your bike are in most cases designed specifically for the Spyder. Time to do a little research and maybe post a picture for us to better understand what you're dealing with.
    2014 RTL Platinum