Thread: New Hip

Spyder Garage

Default New Hip

My wife (who I bought an 2016 F3T for) just had her right hip replaced,

Any of you Spyder riders ever have a hip replacement, and if you did, how long did it take you to get back on your Spyder?

thanks in advance

Spyder Garage

if you do the after surgery exercises 6 to 8 weeks or your surgeon could give you the ok after first X-rays, but to be on the safe side they don't want you to drive a car for at least the 8 to 12 weeks. Your Doctor should have the last word.
    Last edited by Doug; 07-10-2017 at 07:20 AM.
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow

Spyder Garage

I was riding my Spyder 8 weeks after my hip replacement. It would have been sooner, if not for the infection I developed. I was driving a car after 2 1/2 weeks. All with my doctor's approval. Just be sure she works hard at PT, and exercises at home as well. The therapist will give her home exercises to do. Best of luck, hope all goes well.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's to hoping for a quick, complete, and entirely successful recovery for her!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Here's hoping for a quick recovery. It's certainly important to do the P.T.; but, it's also important to continue on with exercise after physical therapy to keep the ROM, and mobility of the joint replacement. I can tell you that I worked with more than a few patients in an outpatient clinic more than a year after their joint replacement, b/c once they were discharged from physical therapy, all exercises were stopped. A few of those patients opted for manipulation (done under anesthesia), and that's more painful than the surgery.

The length of time for recovery, other than age related, and performing P.T., is also due to whether the operation is anterior, posterior, or lateral.
    Last edited by wyliec; 07-10-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HIP

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Here's to hoping for a quick, complete, and entirely successful recovery for her!
    ............. Mike

Spyder Garage

I had a full hip replacement on Jan 4 of this year (I am 71). My first ride was Apr 6 of this year. I was waiting for the ice to melt and not having problems with the new hip.

I also ended up purchasing another two wheeler on 6/27. I have almost 2000 miles on it since then.

For me, the surgery was a great success. I have no pain or movement issues with the hip. Don't even need the Airhawk or Sheepskin gel pads that I used previously.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-10-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The posters who stressed doing the rehab exercises and other physical exercise are spot on. I had my first hip replaced at 65 and rode a bicycle 20 miles six weeks after the surgery; had the second one done two years later and rode the 20 miles seven weeks after the surgery. Took it easier the second time around and actually found I could bend down and tie my shoes sooner after the second surgery. Didn't get my Spyder until I was 73.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

glad you guys posted. might be headed there[after riding season.]
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Default The hip

I had mine done about 3 years ago at age 65. Pretty much had the same questions, so I asked a friend who had his done.... how long ?? He told me 90 days. I thought, "well I'm a lot tougher than that" and I was right. Only took me 89 days. Oh yeah, I could do everything a lot earlier, but it was about 3 months before I started thinking I was 100% and stopped thinking about it. Good luck.
    Bob, k7xi. 2013 RTL

Spyder Garage

I agree as well with those who spoke of following post-op physical therapy. I had my left hip replaced October 2, 2014, at age 70, and religiously followed the PT program (surprised my wife too). I was able to get back on my motorcycle within six weeks (didn't have a Spyder at the time).

Despite being able to ride again I found myself a little reluctant to climb aboard a tall saddle adventure bike and decided to investigate Spyders. As it happens, that was a very sound decision. Love my 2015 RT-S and haven't looked back since.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I have had both hips replaced, 1st in 2006 and 2nd in 2014. Following the PT program is key to recovery. I did not get my Spyder until 2015, but I have no issues riding it!!
    I gave up 2 wheels because my knees have gone bad, it was too risky trying to balance it with the bad knees. I am a happy camper with my Spyder. Knees only bother me when I get off the Spyder!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

I own a Home Inspection company and was doing home inspections 4 weeks after total knee replacement. and was riding my Spyder F3 T at week 2. The key is doing the rehab like it's her mission in life. My brother just had total hip replacement this morning and he did 3 rehab sessions today. The rehab is so important it's not even funny. Good Luck

Spyder Garage

Default Hip

I had mine done on 2/8/17 and I was on my spyder 8 weeks out . Just do what they say , I can only say do the rehab everyday. It will payoff and listen to your body which for me was tough as I didn't I pushed it and was yelled at by PT. Six weeks out I was taking off my snowplow by myself and it got stuck on the mount and instead of getting the big pry bar I yanked it hard pulling it off onto my foot and breaking it . So being stubborn and pigheaded has made my recovery slow the hip is great but the foot is still bad which throws of my gate and stiffening up the hip . So the big winded answer is be patient it will come and the wind will still be there .
    I am so happy I got it done . Good luck from CT.
    2015 F3S , silver

Spyder Garage

Default thanks everyone

90 days - check
    PT - check
    work at it everyday - check
    No problems getting back on the Spyder - check

thanks to all

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    I have had both hips replaced, 1st in 2006 and 2nd in 2014. Following the PT program is key to recovery. I did not get my Spyder until 2015, but I have no issues riding it!!
    I gave up 2 wheels because my knees have gone bad, it was too risky trying to balance it with the bad knees. I am a happy camper with my Spyder. Knees only bother me when I get off the Spyder!!!
    x 2. been there, doing that.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]