Spyder Garage

Default Using RT-622 Trailer

My wife has a VW Beetle Convertible that we'd like to take on vacation. Let's just say that the trunk isn't huge . I was thinking of putting a hitch on her car & using it for luggage.

Has anyone else ever used it as a car trailer? I'm not really seeing any issues other than the wiring harness but I know someone in this group has done this or thought about it !!

Thanks for the help.......
    2016 F3 Limited with Topcase, RT-622 trailer, Lamonster LED Headlights, Lamonster LED Fog lights, Lamonster LED Ring Lights, 25" F4 windshield, BRP Belt Tensioner, 2018 Triton GU10 trailer to haul it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's how I got my 622 home I used the car..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    That's how I got my 622 home I used the car..
    Same here. I pulled mine home with my PT Cruiser. But I had to change out the 2" ball for the 1 7/8" on my hitch.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=PrairieSpyder;1278010]Same here. I pulled mine home with my PT Cruiser. But I had to change out the 2" ball for the 1 7/8" on my hitch.[/QUOTE

I have two receivers one for the 1-7/8 ball and the other with a 2" ball comes in handy and can use the trailer for a trip too if needed..

Spyder Garage

What did you guys do about wiring? Is there an adapter or something?? Any ideas where to look?

BTW....thanks for the help so far. Bet this will get some looks between Buffalo & the Outer Banks
    2016 F3 Limited with Topcase, RT-622 trailer, Lamonster LED Headlights, Lamonster LED Fog lights, Lamonster LED Ring Lights, 25" F4 windshield, BRP Belt Tensioner, 2018 Triton GU10 trailer to haul it

Spyder Garage

Default You mean like this....

FB_IMG_1495171056845.jpg I would imagine the ball size and the wiring hook-up would be the only issue...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Adapter available

There is an adapter available from brp.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shroth View Post
    What did you guys do about wiring? Is there an adapter or something?? Any ideas where to look?

BTW....thanks for the help so far. Bet this will get some looks between Buffalo & the Outer Banks
    Mine was a 2012 622 trailer. it already had the 4 pin flat connector on it.. I just plugged it into my car harness.

YOu can make a adapter much cheaper than getting the BRP one if they still have one.

What 622 harness end do you have on yours?

Spyder Garage

Mine is a 2012 trailer as well. When I bought my F3L 2 months ago, the dealer replaced the harness with the old round plug with a new square 4 pin one. So now I have to convert 4 flat to 4 square

Mine was a 2012 622 trailer. it already had the 4 pin flat connector on it.. I just plugged it into my car harness.

YOu can make a adapter much cheaper than getting the BRP one if they still have one.

What 622 harness end do you have on yours?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine is a 2012 trailer as well. When I bought my F3L 2 months ago, the dealer replaced the harness with the old round plug with a new square 4 pin one. So now I have to convert 4 flat to 4 square
    did they give your old one back??

And have you updated the ground on the trailer yet??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

did they give your old one back??

And have you updated the ground on the trailer yet??
    Yes upgrading that ground is very important.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Hmmmm........upgrade the ground?? No idea. Took the old BRP cable out (which they kept) * put in a new BRP cable. no idea about the ground. Everything works fine.

Really want to use this trailer for the car.......but the electrical sort of scares me

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I hauled mine home just last month with my GMC Terraine, there were two issues.

1. The tongue is so short and trailer do smallyou cannot see it back there. I stopped at a Lowe's and bought one of those orange fiberglass pole that one would use to mark the driveway edges. I then used a couple zip ties to fix the pole to the trailer tongue, then I could see the pole wagging in the mirror, hence the trailer is still there.

2. My vehicle has a four prong flat connector the RT 622 was 4 square. There is a company named Wesbar that makes trailers lights and such, they actually make a harness converter for this. It is 4 flat on one end and 4 square on the other. The item looks to be about a foot long but it ends up being about 5 feet long.

A word of note, the one that I got had the green and brown leads wrong so I cut it, shortened it crossed the wires and heat shrunk the whole thing.

If if you cannot find the part number search for Wesbar on the www and give them a call for the number and a local dealer.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I hauled mine home just last month with my GMC Terraine, there were two issues.

1. The tongue is so short and trailer do smallyou cannot see it back there. I stopped at a Lowe's and bought one of those orange fiberglass pole that one would use to mark the driveway edges. I then used a couple zip ties to fix the pole to the trailer tongue, then I could see the pole wagging in the mirror, hence the trailer is still there...

Joe
    I call them Whirlygiggers!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=1#post1022272
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hmmmm........upgrade the ground?? No idea. Took the old BRP cable out (which they kept) * put in a new BRP cable. no idea about the ground. Everything works fine.

Really want to use this trailer for the car.......but the electrical sort of scares me
    There is a ground kit that BRP sells or maybe under warranty. Check with your dealer. It is really easy to install. I would get one installed .

I will see if I can find the part number for the kit.

Spyder Garage

Fyi you can DIY a flat to square harness from a trailer extension(premade with both ends of 4flat connectors $10) kit found at most auto part stores. I made mine simply by finding the male or female side you need & cut the other end in 1/2 with a box cutter keeping enough insulation around the connector. image.jpg
    image.jpg Fyi mine is oppsite of what you described you need, as I needed the 4flat for another trailer at the time. I kept the two halves loose for ease of removing, but others have taped or heat shrink to fit shape. Sorry if pics dont show enough

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Wouldn't Hurt

If the diameter of the trailer tires are smaller than the towing vehicle, just keep the hubs greased and stop every hour to feel the hubs to make sure they're not getting too hot. Like the other poster said, it's going to be hard to see the trailer while towing or backing up so a flag or pole is a good idea.
    A winner is not the one who never loses. A winner is the one who gets knocked down a thousand times and never stays there.