Spyder Garage

Cool summertime riding in dark jeans

I guess I've always thought that I was more of a cooler weather rider. But this summer, the tops of my thighs are getting cooked because I'm wearing dark jeans. I am an ATGATT girl. So I'm going to continue to wear them. But did I read somewhere that spandex in the jeans causes this splotchy "rash" (rather than sunburn) that takes hours to fade away after I stop riding? And it's truly a burning sensation as I'm riding. I'm not a real big fan of motorcycle pants. And I would think that leather chaps would not be the solution in summer. In the cowboy/horse world, there are "chinks", a sort-of half-chap that just goes over the knee that could maybe function as a sun blocker. But I'm thinking a lighter colored and weight fabric. (I'm not half bad on a sewing machine.) But I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem, and maybe has come up with some solutions.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.
    Jane

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default blue jeans vs ?????

Have you given any thought to sturdy pants of a different color.....ie something from Duluth Trading co. or some type heavy twill ????? ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by janeellen41 View Post
    I guess I've always thought that I was more of a cooler weather rider. But this summer, the tops of my thighs are getting cooked because I'm wearing dark jeans. I am an ATGATT girl. So I'm going to continue to wear them. But did I read somewhere that spandex in the jeans causes this splotchy "rash" (rather than sunburn) that takes hours to fade away after I stop riding? And it's truly a burning sensation as I'm riding. I'm not a real big fan of motorcycle pants. And I would think that leather chaps would not be the solution in summer. In the cowboy/horse world, there are "chinks", a sort-of half-chap that just goes over the knee that could maybe function as a sun blocker. But I'm thinking a lighter colored and weight fabric. (I'm not half bad on a sewing machine.) But I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem, and maybe has come up with some solutions.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.
    Jane
    Take a look at the Bohn under-armor that you can wear under any light-weight pants. I just recently got some and I like the flexibility of wearing normal outerwear without giving up the protection of armor. They are pricey, but maybe you can steal the idea and make up your own if you're handy with a sewing machine!

https://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Unless you are wearing some kind of armored jeans you are not an AGATT type person. Only half-a$$ed because your a$$ is bare. Do a bit of research and you will find that jeans provide practically zero abrasion protection.

I don't have much trouble with the sun as my armored motorcycle mesh over-pants are a light color, breathe sufficiently and I can wear jeans or even short pants under them and stay quite cool while moving. I wish my jacket was a lighter color but those were not available where we were shopping at the time.

I can tell you from experience in moving the Spyder around our big back yard that, while moving, short pants only are the hottest with the sun on my legs and the heat from the Spyder, followed by jeans, but I am coolest in full AGATT, top and bottom.

Stopped and no breeze is a different story but if I am stopped for long or in stop and go traffic I can partially unzip my jacket and I have a small 12v fan I blow on my face/upper chest, feels good.

CLP AGATT.jpg
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

There has been discussions on Facebook on jeans with Lycra causing you to get hotter than plain old cotton denim. I have noticed it myself when I'm wearing jeans without riding pants over them. You might try a pair of mesh riding pants over your jeans, they will keep you from burning and you can take them off when you reach your destination

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Cool Thanks to all!

Great tips from all of you. Guess I'm checking out some motorcycle pants for these not so thin legs.