Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Jacket Armor Question

I just bought this jacket (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and like it a lot. However, although it's got solid armor in the shoulders and elbows, the protection on the back seems a little weak in comparison.

Is it possible to get stronger armor protection to slip into the back of the jacket? If so, how do you size it and where do you order it from?

Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    I just bought this jacket (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and like it a lot. However, although it's got solid armor in the shoulders and elbows, the protection on the back seems a little weak in comparison.

Is it possible to get stronger armor protection to slip into the back of the jacket? If so, how do you size it and where do you order it from?

Thanks!
    The back protector is 'articulated triple density' ... can't imagine why you'd need anything more than that or where you would find it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The back protector is 'articulated triple density' ... can't imagine why you'd need anything more than that or where you would find it.
    ....Because it feels like nothing more than a thin foam pad to me. Unlike the shoulder and elbow pads which have a solid component to them.

Maybe I'm over-thinking things?

Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The various pieces of armor are designed to take the hits that they are most likely to get.
    None of them will protect you against all types of hits: all of the time!
    You also need to remember that you probably couldn't pick up and wear a jacket, that could!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

IT is nothing but a thin foam pad and you can do better. Google CE Protective Armor and you will have lots of choices in armor and places to purchase.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Or,

https://www.revzilla.com/product/tou...back-protector

Lots of them out there on the web

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The various pieces of armor are designed to take the hits that they are most likely to get.
    None of them will protect you against all types of hits: all of the time!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Yes there are MUCH better back protectors made of hard plastic armor, and some that are made of a flexible honeycomb material that disperses impact pressure out there that you can either put on under the jacket or slip into the jacket itself. The ones that you wear are better because they usually extend down for some tailbone protection too. And yes that foam is useless and will do nothing for you. Anyone saying you dont need more than that has obviously never hit the deck before and slid into something along the way.
    I will do a search for some links for you, although the Revzilla one mentioned above is a good starting point.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    Anyone saying you don't need more than that has obviously never hit the deck before and slid into something along the way.
    Mostly true. I did crash a Honda 450 on an exit ramp with an oil slick back in the 70s. Broke my elbow since I was not wearing any armor protection (nonexistent back then except for racers). Never had reason to think that if I crash the Spyder I will need back protection though.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Good subject. Most of jackets and pants I buy come with assorted, installed pads. The never totally cover the area they are supposed to protect for me. I therefore remove the stuff and have a full box of it.

I wear leather most of the time now--even though I know that is not perfect.

I have two pair of Kevlar jeans and the lining, although not thick, is supposed to protect from the garment tearing. Have never had to put them to the test though.

Most important to me are a good helmet, boots, and gloves.

My .02

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hi Slowpoke,

Re: I will do a search for some links for you, although the Revzilla one mentioned above is a good starting point.

Please do as the link on the Revzilla site says:

MD (out of stock)

LG ( out of stock)

No Restock

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Talk about timing on this subject. I came out of the restaurant this morning, began to put my First Gear jacket on & realized that the back protection had shifted. Took the jacket off, unzipped the access & found a piece of foam about 3/8" ( 10 mm ) thick. I would be interested in something better to install along with the foam.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Toss the foam and buy the CE elbow, shoulder and back pieces.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A lot of garment makers use a softer armor for the back, even premium brands. Not sure why, perhaps comfort, perhaps fear of lawsuits from back injuries due to hard armor? Dunno. AFAIK only race organizations require hard back armor, they know a thing or two from experience. Luckily there are many retro fit options available. Some, like D3O are soft under normal conditions but stiffen up upon impact. Others are soft like Forcefield but meet CE level2 certification for back protection.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

The best newer armor on the market is the D30 armor line up.

Their claim:
    An advanced, patented polymer, CE-rated D3O® impact protectors are the latest advancement in protective armor. D3O® impact protectors utilize intelligent molecules that lock together on impact. Because of this, the impact protector can be made thinner and lighter, making a jacket more comfortable and easier to wear. However, this decreased size does not come at the expense of impact protection.

​The reactive armor is the cat's meow.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Good subject. Most of jackets and pants I buy come with assorted, installed pads. The never totally cover the area they are supposed to protect for me. I therefore remove the stuff and have a full box of it.

I wear leather most of the time now--even though I know that is not perfect.

I have two pair of Kevlar jeans and the lining, although not thick, is supposed to protect from the garment tearing. Have never had to put them to the test though.

Most important to me are a good helmet, boots, and gloves.

My .02
    Forgive me for saying this but I do so not to insult but to educate. If you remove your pads you are a fool. You should dress for the slide and not for the ride. Just because you are less likely to hit the asphalt due to being on 3 wheels doesn't mean it will not happen or that it hasn't happened before to others. Kevlar jeans will protect only in a slow speed slide (less than 30 mph) and have no impact protection. A full face helmet, motorcycle boots and gloves will protect your head, ankles and hands, but that leaves the great majority of your body unprotected. I'm sure most everyone here is familiar with ATGATT and I am a firm believer. I wear full coverage on ALL rides regardless of length. I have armor protecting the forearms, elbows, shoulders, back, chest, hips, tailbone, thighs, knees and shins. Oh, and I also wear a full face helmet, gloves with padded leather palms and hard knuckle protection as well as high boots made for riding. It does get hot sometimes but there's another old saying that is still true: I'd rather sweat than bleed.

Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    You want real protection? Go here: https://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/

Spyder Garage

I second the Bohn post, jackets, all kinds of other armored clothing.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    Forgive me for saying this but I do so not to insult but to educate. If you remove your pads you are a fool. You should dress for the slide and not for the ride. Just because you are less likely to hit the asphalt due to being on 3 wheels doesn't mean it will not happen or that it hasn't happened before to others. Kevlar jeans will protect only in a slow speed slide (less than 30 mph) and have no impact protection. A full face helmet, motorcycle boots and gloves will protect your head, ankles and hands, but that leaves the great majority of your body unprotected. I'm sure most everyone here is familiar with ATGATT and I am a firm believer. I wear full coverage on ALL rides regardless of length. I have armor protecting the forearms, elbows, shoulders, back, chest, hips, tailbone, thighs, knees and shins. Oh, and I also wear a full face helmet, gloves with padded leather palms and hard knuckle protection as well as high boots made for riding. It does get hot sometimes but there's another old saying that is still true: I'd rather sweat than bleed.
    Ouch! I guess you told me.

I have been around awhile, owned lots of motorcycles and spyders, and have hundreds of thousands of miles of riding experience. I am not going to dress like the Michelin Man. I know the risks and am willing to take a few. I do feel I dress for the slide--but nothing is perfect. I consider my gear to be ATGATT--such as it is.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-11-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I bought a D3O upgraded back pad for the FirstGear Jaunt jacket that I bought (xl for sale) and a Bohn for the 'Stitch. Now I just have to get healthy enough to ride. 😕
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    If indeed your motive is to educate and not insult, perhaps you could avoid the word "fool" in your second sentence. It didn't make you sound any more intelligent!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

My back protection was a 1/8 inch piece of foam rubber. I recently purchased D3O armor to replace all the armor in my mesh jacket, including the back protection.
    So that was elbow, shoulder and back. Revzilla was having a sale, so I bought it all there. Their service is great and if item is in stock, they ship usually within 24 hours.
    Good luck...
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    My back protection was a 1/8 inch piece of foam rubber. I recently purchased D3O armor to replace all the armor in my mesh jacket, including the back protection.
    So that was elbow, shoulder and back. Revzilla was having a sale, so I bought it all there. Their service is great and if item is in stock, they ship usually within 24 hours.
    Good luck...
    Please excuse my ignorance, but all this is new to me.......How do you insure that the purchased D3O piece of armor will fit into an existing jacket? It can't be trimmed as needed, can it?

Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please excuse my ignorance, but all this is new to me.......How do you insure that the purchased D3O piece of armor will fit into an existing jacket? It can't be trimmed as needed, can it?

Thanks.
    Take out your existing back armor and match it to the available shapes. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-...cets%5B%5D=431

As for shoulder & elbow armor, they are all the same shape.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default To: NEWBERT

As for the fit of the D3O armor, the elbow and back pieces were the same shape as the original armor, the shoulder pocket in my jacket was smaller than the replacement D3O piece.
    I trimmed a bit off one side of the new piece so it would fit. I used a sharp pair of kitchen shears to do the trimming, worked fine. I used the old shoulder piece as a template.
    I hope this helps!! Good luck.
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Newbert,

I might suggest that for future purchases you take a close look at Revzilla. You can find them at revzilla.com. They have video reviews on most of their products and it can be very educational. They have fair pricing and great shipping. Look at the category you want to shop an they will present you with all of the choices they have in that category. There are rider reviews on all products and they ship for free over $39.00. Very informative and a better option than going to Amazon. JMHO!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.