Thread: Need Advice!

Spyder Garage

Default Need Advice!

I purchased my 2016 F3T in April of this year and after spending 40 years on two wheels I'm having trouble re-learning how to ride curves and twisties! Leaving on a big trip Thursday to Yellowstone and I'm a little concerned! Any good advice would help! I did get a laser alignment and put on a Ron bar! Rides like a dream going straight!🙏

Spyder Garage

Default Relax...

Did you read all the do's and don'ts ...?? depending on how much you have ryden it does take a good 300 to 500 miles to start getting comfortable. Some adapt faster depending on what vehicles they have ryden in the past but you will get there. Relaxing is the key...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Bears and Rumblings

Quote Originally Posted by I-Day View Post
    I purchased my 2016 F3T in April of this year and after spending 40 years on two wheels I'm having trouble re-learning how to ride curves and twisties! Leaving on a big trip Thursday to Yellowstone and I'm a little concerned! Any good advice would help! I did get a laser alignment and put on a Ron bar! Rides like a dream going straight!🙏
    Yellowstone will be a fantastic place to visit. Sit back, relax the grip on the handlebar and enjoy the ride. By the time you get there you will be wondering why you wrote this!

Spyder Garage

You may want to explain what you are actually feeling when going thru a curve, which may help with suggestions. Are you having a problem with curves/twisties at any speed, or are you trying to do like some on here, and go thru at higher than suggested speeds?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Did you read all the do's and don'ts ...?? depending on how much you have ryden it does take a good 300 to 500 miles to start getting comfortable. Some adapt faster depending on what vehicles they have ryden in the past but you will get there. Relaxing is the key...

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Watch the bicyclists in Yellowstone, have fun and be safe.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Kinda like skiing

To help on the curves: Press on the outside foot board/ peg, inside knee against the "tank", gentle with the bars. Practice, Practice, Practice

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For me the hardest aspect of riding a Spyder was getting used to how "quick" the steering is compared to one wheel in the front. I found my self over steering into the curves and finding myself making an adjustment midway thru the curve. Another technique that I had to learn is to squeeze my tank with my knees depending what direction I was turning.
    Like others have said, relax and enjoy the spyder world.
    Mike
    it took me about 1000 miles to adjust from a standard trike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Just got back from touring over 4000 miles including Yellowstone. As it turns out, Yellowstone was a low point of our ride. It was CROWDED with lots of stop and go traffic. Didn't even see a chipmunk....too much traffic. The Tetons were great but Jackson Hole was, again, too crowded to be enjoyable. It's been a week and a half since we were in that area so maybe crowds have gone down a little with some schools starting. Have a good time, relax, and go slow.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Relaxing is the key...
    That is mostly the key to handling the bars correctly but there is more to it than that.

Ridden properly, a 2 wheel bike will push you down into the seat in a curve because your body will be aligned properly for that to happen.
    On 3 wheels, the body of the machine tends to pitch the top outward and your body along with it; it tries to throw you off.

If you are going to be turning at speed, you need to consciously lean your body to the inside. A really LOT of bike riders never learn to do that, even some who have ridden for a LONG time.

Spyder Garage

If you've ever ridden a snowmobile or an ATV (4 wheeler), the Spyder is a lot closer to them than 2 wheels when it comes to riding. Take it easy, light grip on the bars, remember it doesn't lean, so you have to. Once you get the hang of it, it can be lots of fun!

john

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    To help on the curves: Press on the outside foot board/ peg, inside knee against the "tank", gentle with the bars. Practice, Practice, Practice

Kaos
    Yes the more you get your feet into the action the better ...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe a generalization here but. You're from Minnesota, have you ever ridden a snowmobile? It's like that. Don't worry, by the time you reach Yellowstone, you'll be a pro at the curves. It took me probably around 400 miles until I felt easy with the cornering of the spyder.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow