Spyder Garage

Default ignition will not turn with key in any direction

I am new to the forum. I just bought a 2010 Rt with 731 miles on it. Drove it home and the ignition won't open frunk and will not open seat. Will not turn for dash cycle.. Help?
    Last edited by timothy1697; 07-09-2017 at 02:07 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default ignition will not turn with key in any direction

Try pushing the key up and down vigorously, put a drip of oil on the key first, with so few miles clock it could be a bit sticky, mine has been on many occasions, every time I put my key in I always push it down 2 or 3 times before turning
    Also try sitting on the seat and see if the key will turn or push the frunk lid down and try, if something is jamming one or the other it won't turn.
    will the key turn at all? just to tun on the ignition?

Failing the above it's off with the tupperware and investigate.

Hope this helps.
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    50$ GPS connected to oem loom
    Trunk & Frunk Liners and lights
    Frunk and dashboard power outlets
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    Turn signal LEDs in mirrors
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light
    Windscreen wiper/ baguette holder

If I wasn't so cleverI wouldn't need to be so good looking.
    2014 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default thoughts

hey tim , are you getting at least the feel , of the frunk , or seat release trying to open ? a little resistance on the key , like the spring is pushing back ? on one other thread here the front trunk { frunk } they had a trunk not opening , and had too have some one push down on the lid too the front , while the other turned the key to release the latch ... seems to have been the rubber seal inside was off the housing that holds it in place and this caused the latch too be a bit tight ...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by agedbikeman View Post
    Try pushing the key up and down vigorously, put a drip of oil on the key first, with so few miles clock it could be a bit sticky, mine has been on many occasions, every time I put my key in I always push it down 2 or 3 times before turning
    Also try sitting on the seat and see if the key will turn or push the frunk lid down and try, if something is jamming one or the other it won't turn.

Hope this helps.
    A little bit of graphite might help to unstick things...

of your bike?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I have tried all your suggestions and thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    A little bit of graphite might help to unstick things...

of your bike?
    I added a third brake light (t-tap connections), and a Garmin 660 GPS. made these additions before 3rd July 17. Went to gas station fueled up, and after fueling tried to turn key, spyder key would not turn, embarrassing had to push Spyder from gas pump. waited four hours on tow. Wheels were moving and the wheels just stop rolling and start sliding during the tow. Spyder has not started since the third. If the key does not turn today when I get home. I wil have it towed to the dealership.Also, talk to prior owner, he says never had a problem with Spyder at all. Oh, pulled up codes 3rd of July 17 P0000. Hmmm! I wil get you guys some pics, also. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by timothy1697; 07-09-2017 at 08:20 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

First off welcome to both the spyder world and this site. the code you found is actually a non code. It is like a default when resetting. If the key is not turning then jumping on the seat or frunk lid will not help. I would spray some WD40 in or along the sides of the key if it does not come out so it can penetrate the mechanisms. After doing all the above it may be a dealer thing...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by timothy1697 View Post
    I am new to the forum. I just bought a 2010 Rt with 731 miles on it. Drove it home and the ignition won't open frunk and will not open seat. Will not turn for dash cycle.. Help?
    Are you saying that the ignition key worked to start the bike and to open the frunk and seat for you on the way home, but now it won't do either? The question isn't very clear to me.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wheels were moving and the wheels just stop rolling and start sliding during the tow. Spyder has not started since the third. If the key does not turn today when I get home. I wil have it towed to the dealership.
    The Spyder should NEVER be towed with wheel or wheels in contact with the ground!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The previous owner didn't by any chance give you two keys did he? And you drove home using one & now you are using 'the other one'?? I can't see any other reasonably feasible way that the key WOULD turn & work for you before, then you did something/whatever & now it won't turn??

Let's try & get it all straight... When you say the ignition won't open the frunk or the seat, I take it you mean that it won't move from the 12 o'clock position that it hasta be in for you to insert the key into the lock mechanism in the first place, & once it IS IN the Lock mechanism, it then:
    1). won't turn to the 2 o'clock position where the dash should light up & do its thing, so it won't start: & neither will it
    2). let you press it in & then turn it to the 10 o'clock position to open the frunk; nor
    3). let you press it in & then turn it to the 2 o'clock position to open the seat/access the fuel filler?!?

All of which implies that somehow, you've either got the WRONG KEY, as mentioned above, or somehow, something has got into & jammed the lock mechanism so it will no longer work at all??! Double
    Which sounds like it's gonna be a tray top delivery job to get it to a Dealer to install a new lock mechanism & key/security system/code etc....

Sorry to hear that you are having such a painful intro to your 'new to you' Spyder!!

Spyder Garage

Default Ignition switch will not turn or do any functios.

Well, I have tried flashers, work fine saddlebags, work fine, key will not turn at all. Dealer is closed today. Horn blows fine. Battery charge shows green. I just don't know. I only have one key. Drove it home with the one key that I have. Thanks in advance.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On a recent trip a member put his key into his Spyder RT - The
    key would not go all the way in and then would not come out it was somehow jammed
    We tried several attempts to get it to either go in fully or get the key out Nothing worked
    We were expecting a recovery trip to a dealer as we were on a planned ride out with them
    It was a Sunday and they were closed but the dealer went to get some tools and WD40
    after spraying the key with a lot of WD40 he got the key out
    There was no further issues after that
    It may pay members to lube the ignition switch from time to time to avoid any problems

Not sure if this will solve your issue but hope you do get it sorted
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    On a recent trip a member put his key into his Spyder RT - The
    key would not go all the way in and then would not come out it was somehow jammed
    What year bike was this one? There was a TSB put out for the 2014 RTs about ignition switches jamming up like this.

Spyder Garage

Default oil in key cylinder

Quote Originally Posted by agedbikeman View Post

Hope this helps.
    I would like to add just a bit of info regarding oil on the key. I work at a hardware store and have learned not to use any oil in a key cylinder. Instead, use powdered graphite (or spray graphite), TriFlow or similar type of lubricant. I think LPS makes a lock lubricant as well. The reason not to use oil is because it tends to attract dust and dirt which will prevent the key cylinder pins from working as expected.
    Lock-Ease makes a powdered and spray version of graphite lubricant.
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What year bike was this one? There was a TSB put out for the 2014 RTs about ignition switches jamming up like this.

Bob I believe his is the 2014 1330 RT SE6 model
    i don't suppose you have a copy of the TSB or a link to find it
    Thanks
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll see if I can find it...
    But I can't promise much: this goes back over three years into the archives.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob I believe his is the 2014 1330 RT SE6 model i don't suppose you have a copy of the TSB or a link to find it Thanks
    Try going to this link and put in your VIN to see if that is an open recall for your bike https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners...s_list_start=6

Or, try filling in this online form for customer support https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/form/contact-us.html
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-10-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

If you read the first post he stated that he bought a 2010 RT
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob I believe his is the 2014 1330 RT SE6 model
    i don't suppose you have a copy of the TSB or a link to find it