Spyder Garage

Default Planning short road trip

As soon as this daily rain pattern in the deep south breaks, I'm thinking about taking my first short road trip - maybe lasting three or four days. Any general tips about Spyder security while staying in motels, or anything else I might need to know or plan for? Thanks, Jack.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by USMMAN View Post
    As soon as this daily rain pattern in the deep south breaks, I'm thinking about taking my first short road trip - maybe lasting three or four days. Any general tips about Spyder security while staying in motels, or anything else I might need to know or plan for? Thanks, Jack.
    I try to choose a well-lighted place with visibility from the room and the street. And a decent neighborhood. No guarantees in life, though.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you can get a ground floor room and park just outside your door that's about the best.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Ground floor, park under a street light as close to room as you can. I just did about 1300 miles in 3 days stayed at a few Comfort Inn's , worked well.

Spyder Garage

After hearing about glove box thefts at a recent group event, either keep it empty or make sure you lock your bars over to lock the glove box.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Even if it's not going to rain, I recommend using a half cover to keep things covered and out of sight. Also make sure that lock all compartments and the steering column. Do not leave anything that you can't live without on the bike. Last thing-don't worry! just ride and have an awesome trip! You can only control so much!

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just as UtahPete said, lights......the more, the better......,proximity to the building.......maybe as close to and in view of the office, a good neighborhood. You can get crime statistics for areas you'll be traveling to or through it you're concerned.

I've stayed at some less than stellar places for work and have never experienced any problems but that was with my truck. We've only stayed overnight three times with our Spyder and haven't had problems with it either. But the places we stayed were in nicer areas than where I stayed while working.

If you see a sign in the parking lot saying the motel is not responsible for loss to guests vehicles, look for another place. We went to Texas last month (in a cage) and were at a very well known and well regarded chain in a very nice neighborhood. I asked at the front desk if they had problems very often. They said the area was nice but that sometimes that attracted people who werent.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I lock my handlebars but that's about it. Covers take up valuable space so I don't carry one with me.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've been ripped off several times at motels which are right next to a major highway. They make a good getaway for the thieves. I would recommend stay at a place a few miles removed from highways for that reason. Sometimes those smaller places will let you leave your bike out in front of the office where the night clerk can keep an eye on it.

I also have a vicious Pomeranian I can lend you for the trip. He's only 7 lbs and doesn't have a tooth in his head but he has a bark that will wake the dead. Hey, you never know. He could run up the bad guys legs and trip them until the cops get there.

Spyder Garage

Some of the nicer Motel/Hotels have allowed motorcycles to park under the canopy right outside the office where someone is on duty 24/7.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

Default roads

you planning on the Natchez trace parkway ? a very nice ride from what I hear , wanting to make that ride from way up here sometime ... { would be really cool if you had other spyder riders in an area you were riding to, that could help out in , hotel locations , and points of interest at the same area ... you could swing by south haven Mississippi and help tim out with his trunk and seat latches

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    you could swing by south haven Mississippi and help tim out with his trunk and seat latches
    What a great idea!
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I agree with other posters and carry a half cover. My Kradellock is only for head calls and food stops. The basic rule: if you value it, don't leave it on/in the bike.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Don't leave anything with the that you don't want lost. A screwdriver will break open the front trunk, bags, and storage compartment instantly.

The suggestions about parking are also on. Don't forget to pull your key. I left the key in one in Fairbanks overnight. Fortunately, the bike was there in the AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Try This

Find a larger rubber snake. Coil it up and leave it in the trunk box unlocked.
    A winner is not the one who never loses. A winner is the one who gets knocked down a thousand times and never stays there.

Spyder Garage

Great information! Thanks to all.