Spyder Garage

Default Okay it is time for me to fess up...

A couple of weeks ago I posted about a breakdown I had near Dayton Ohio. Pulling away from a light, I heard a loud tapping from the engine bay that would speed up with my RPMs. I immediately shut it down and had it towed to the nearest spider dealership- Middletown Cycle. I was convinced that it was a broken valve spring as something must have gotten down in the cylinder. It's a Spyder St Limited 2015 with 20000 miles on it.

Now for the rest of the story...

Middletown Cycle originally said it would be 2 weeks before they could even get to my bike. They were wrong. They got to it in 2 days and I was thrilled.

I heard back from them a week ago that my front cylinder spark plug electrode had burnt and broken away and falling into the cylinder. This little piece of metal created a heck of a racket and also damage the Piston head right on the outside edge.

Now you might be asking yourself, " How the h#$l did that happen?"

The short answer is - my stupidity!

Last March I changed out my spark plugs and as you 998 owners know, the front cylinder plug is quite difficult to get to.

I could not get my torque wrench in there so I use the old tried-and-true method of finger tight plus one quarter turn. Either it was not fingertight or it needed more than 1/4 turn because the spark plug worked its way out over time - there by overheating.

So in an attempt to save a few maintenance dollars, I will probably be paying $1,500 for the repair.

But it's all my fault. It sucks being me.

I am sharing the story because I want the truth to set me free and also serve as a little reminder to you folks who do your own maintenance.

Spyder Garage

we all have made mistakes, some more expensive then others. HEY i was a electrician and was working on some prepping for overtime work once. i was in the old PAN AM BUILDING on the top floor by the big switch board room. i had to install a new switch on overtime so i went and opened the box where it went. low and behold, i did not know opening it would shut down all the REALLY BIG SWITCHES for the building. IT DID. that shut down all the high rise elevators, that started the change over for the emergency generator to kick on. so lots of people were trapped in the elevators, most of the lawyers, the guy that ran the building had to run up close to 30 stories to start kicking all the main power back on. i was lucky that nothing happened to me, and that the building was able to calm everyone done. but that could of cost me thousands. so as they say S$$T HAPPENS
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update. An expensive lesson learned. But at least it was corrected quickly and now you can keep riding.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Grampa Denman always said that the person who never made a mistake, is a person who never did anything.
    At least you know what caused it, and Thanks for passing along a VERY useful tip to the rest of us!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We've all had our moments. Not even counting the ones we got away with. But I must say in all my years I have never torqued a spark plug and it's never been a problem. Not saying you shouldn't. Just saying I don't.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

By sharing you have helped others! Nice.

Spyder Garage

The short answer is - my stupidity!

Last March I changed out my spark plugs and as you 998 owners know, the front cylinder plug is quite difficult to get to.

I could not get my torque wrench in there so I use the old tried-and-true method of finger tight plus one quarter turn. Either it was not fingertight or it needed more than 1/4 turn because the spark plug worked its way out over time - there by overheating.

So in an attempt to save a few maintenance dollars, I will probably be paying $1,500 for the repair.

But it's all my fault. It sucks being me.

Don't beat yourself up, Stuff Happens.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one...

Hard to admit and even harder to publish. It is a help to others and we thank you for your taking this tough step. Between the loose plug and the broken tip I would imagine quite a racket.. sorry it was not an easy cheap fix but you will be back on the road again. After reading all the stories about the front plug I went with the JT Machine shop air filter system removing the air box and eliminating the problem and increasing the air flow and performance of the engine.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Been there, done that

I have done my share too, and my mistake is going to be fixed next week. While the part is only $35.00, the labor is the scary part.

My mistake was thinking I remembered Lamonster's instructions from his video that he made for the install of the LidLox. Watched it when I was buying as part of my research when I bought it. If you watch the video I did what Lamonster warned not to do.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    My Grampa Denman always said that the person who never made a mistake, is a person who never did anything.
    At least you know what caused it, and Thanks for passing along a VERY useful tip to the rest of us!

I appreciate the followup, even though it must have been a little humbling to post it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hi Ron,

Re: in all my years I have never torqued a spark plug

I've been wrenching on motor vehicles since 1954 & I'm with you.

Once it is like the German virgin ( Gudenteit ) it's good enough for me.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

perfect opportunity to make any upgrades while its apart. lemons to lemon aid.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting the information. Many times we here about the problem, but few come back with any updates.

Your "mistake" turned out to be expensive. Your publishing the results may save many from the same.

You are a good person.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Once it is like the German virgin ( Gudenteit ) it's good enough for me.
    I get the distinct impression that your youth was spent in a lot of very interesting places that are full of the best stories ever!

Did you survive it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks Spyder.....you're not the first and definitely won't be the last to do something like this. Thanks for posting the warning. I notice that no one has gone anywhere near calling you a goose, which shows how much a post like this is appreciated. I would post own my "failed initiatives", but Lamont may have a limit on the number of posts for an individual.........maybe not.....I just remembered Bob D

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

SH*T happens. You are not the only one to screw up somewhere, or something. We all do it. You just did it a little bit better. It takes a man to admit he screwed up. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL