Spyder Garage

Default Gas pumping problems when the weather is hot during a long ride

2012 rt limited. I do a lot of riding, and when it is hot outside and I have been riding a few hours, I stop to get gas and when I try to pump the gas, the pumps keeps shutting off. This only happens when it is hot outside and I have been riding for at least an hour in the heat..... I installed scoops to try and get some cool air into the Tupperware, removed the acoustic panels and both sides and removed the bottom plate on the right side..... I solved the heat problem on my leg/foot and cooled the glove box down, but I still have problems fueling while riding in the heat....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had this problem on my ST. At that time husband was still riding a Honda, and we found that if I opened my gas cap, filled his bike, by the time we got to mine the fuel had cooled and the pump would work. If we tried to fill mine immediately the pump wouldn't work - fuel hot, vapours etc.

Not much of a solution, but it's all I can offer...

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrover View Post
    2012 rt limited. I do a lot of riding, and when it is hot outside and I have been riding a few hours, I stop to get gas and when I try to pump the gas, the pumps keeps shutting off. This only happens when it is hot outside and I have been riding for at least an hour in the heat..... I installed scoops to try and get some cool air into the Tupperware, removed the acoustic panels and both sides and removed the bottom plate on the right side..... I solved the heat problem on my leg/foot and cooled the glove box down, but I still have problems fueling while riding in the heat....
    Yeah, you've got it figured out. It's heat related. The excessive evaporation going on in the tank, as well as the air trying to get out as you fill it, tends to trip the nozzle prematurely. You can minimize that somewhat by not placing the nozzle way down into the tank, only slightly inside the filler neck. And that problem is usually made worse by a nozzle that has that rubber boot on it. And you've noticed that once some cool fuel gets in there and squelches all the vapor, that it fills fine the rest of the way. If you wanted to go an extra step, you could wrap the left side header or otherwise insulate that section as it passes by the tank, but I'm not sure you would notice a great improvement, if any. It's Georgia, after all, and you've already installed the scoops. So, it's just part of your machine's personality that you'll come to get used to. Have fun with it and stay safe.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-06-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try not shoving the nozzle all the way into the tank: hold it so that it's just in far enough, to keep the fuel going in the right direction...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black