Thread: Burning oil

Spyder Garage

Default Burning oil

I have a 2011 RT. For the last coupla years, it's been using about a qt of oil between oil changes. I've had all the fairing off, and can't see any place it's leaking. It doesn't smoke, I just have to add a little oil every now and then. Is this common for the 2 cylinders ? It runs great, no dripping on concrete. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 998 Bikes DO use some oil: it's just the "Nature of the Beast".
    Years ago; Docdoru posted a leak-down test on a 998 engine, and it showed that they were just going to be prone to using a bit of oil.
    My advice: keep a spare couple of quarts of oil available, and remind yourself to check the oil level every couple of weeks.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

As he said, it is normal with the 998. I wouldn't wait to fill it when the oil change comes due. Check it every 1000 miles and add when needed.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks for the quick response. That's what I was hoping to hear.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I check mine at about 300 miles......usually works out to about every other ride!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above

Best check your oil after a long ryde or two when you come home. I park it take off my gear and check the oil and add if needed. You do not have to be at the full mark just between the add and full.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Yeah, my old 08 GS would use about a quart and a half between oil changes. It wasn't great, but it was just the nature of the beast. Like was said, just check it several times between oil changes and add when necessary.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marr View Post
    I have a 2011 RT. For the last coupla years, it's been using about a qt of oil between oil changes. I've had all the fairing off, and can't see any place it's leaking. It doesn't smoke, I just have to add a little oil every now and then. Is this common for the 2 cylinders ? It runs great, no dripping on concrete. Thanks
    You need to check your often until you get an idea as to how much oil you use over X miles. This is very important on the SE model 998's because if the oil gets to low the transmission will start to give you fits. The cause of the oil consumption is it is being sucked into the air cleaner box from the rear valve cover (crankcase ventilation).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    You need to check your often until you get an idea as to how much oil you use over X miles. This is very important on the SE model 998's because if the oil gets to low the transmission will start to give you fits. The cause of the oil consumption is it is being sucked into the air cleaner box from the rear valve cover (crankcase ventilation).
    3/4 qt. to 1 quart between oil changes is about average for a 998. If you are getting oil in the air box there is a cheap and easy fix for that. If enough oil pools in your air box it will start dripping onto hot engine parts. Not good.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...