Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jackndeanie View Post
    I have a 2018 RT Limited with about 2000 miles. Last night my parking brake wouldn't release. This is the first time this has happened to me. I know that I started the bike out of sequence. I stabbed for the Mode button and hit Park instead and when I found the brake locked on I wondered if that might be what caused it. In my case, though, I couldn't just restart, I had to leave it off for a while (30 mins) before the problem cleared itself. I've restarted and moved the bike several times since then and the parking brake works perfectly. Even though all seems OK, she's going to the dealer Tuesday to be checked over.
    Regarding unable to start, take a look at the owners manual, page 136, under ENGINE DOES NOT START. Check item numbers 1, 2 & 7. Do any of these apply?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IgoFar2 View Post
    Regarding unable to start, take a look at the owners manual, page 136, under ENGINE DOES NOT START. Check item numbers 1, 2 & 7. Do any of these apply?
    IgoFar2, sorry, I was not clear when I wrote, '...I couldn't just restart...' What I meant was I couldn't just turn the key off and on and boom, it was fixed. I tried restarting several times. The bike always started up, but the flashing brake indicator light light and the warning beep would start up as soon as the key was turned on and continue after the bike was running. Pushing the parking brake button didn't affect the light or the beep, and the parking brake remained locked on. I finally had my wife bring me home to get a wrench so I could unhook the parking brake cable. The trip took 30 to 45 minutes and of course the bike was off during that time. The first thing I did when I got back is try the key one more time - and all was good. This time there was no flashing light or beeping when I turned the key. I started her up and drove her home with no problems along the way. I've tried to duplicate the problem several times since I got her home, can't do it.

I did check item numbers 1, 2 & 7 on page 136 under ENGINE DOES NOT START. They did not apply.
    2018 Spyder RT LTD Pearl White Dark

Spyder Garage

Default A suggestion....

Just a suggestion. If this, or anything similar, occurs again take a video on your smart phone. It could help you or the service department to diagnose the problem.

Spyder Garage

Angry Parking Brake issue is more serious than anyone is acknowledgement

Parking Brakes locked up on my father at 50 mph. He is lucky to be alive. I am a Spyder RSS rider. My father had a 2018 RT Limited until yesterday.

After church he went out to the RT and went to start and the Parking brake would not disengage. This is the 4th time he has had to deal with this and he had conversations about it with our dealer that does the maintenance work around here for us. Just as he had done before he had to loosen the brake just enough to release it. Once the system recognized the release he proceeded home approximately 6-8 miles away. he was traveling down a main road and got the bike up to 50 mph and locked cruise control. within 3 seconds the parking light flashed and the bike locked down, sending him off the side of the road down a 4ft ditch flipping a couple of times.

Luckily the ground was soft enough he is horrible bruised has a severe burn where the exhaust pipe landed on his hip probably a broken hand and a fractured rib. But my father is ALIVE.

Please let us know if you have had a similar issue!!!

Spyder Garage

WOW !!!
    But Dad is alive, that's the main thing.
    It's my limited understanding (only cause I read it somewhere on this site) that the brakes are designed NOT to be operational above a certain ( ??) vehicle speed.
    The dealership should be in on this one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    The dealership should be in on this one.
    So should the NTSB and the NHTSA.
    Please report this to them.

BRP needs to take this problem a bit more seriously.
    Too bad that they seemingly need to be FORCED to do that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There had to be a lot of failures; for this to occur...
    First: there's an interlock that prevents the parking brake from applying at speeds above 6 mph...
    (I know: I've checked mine, and it worked on all three of my RTs...)
    Then we have the mysterious engagement of it...
    I think that I'd like to see some proof of the cause; when your dealer determines exactly what happebed.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    First: there's an interlock that prevents the parking brake from applying at speeds above 6 mph...
    Exactly how is that "interlock" supposed to work ?

It prevents the brake from applying above 6 MPH......via the "normal" mechanism, right........like pushing the park button ??

It would be pretty hard to design a safety interlock for all possible system failures.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try it (I did...)
    t 10 mph: hit the parking brake button...

Spyder Garage

Reading this sure makes me feel all warm and fussy . Hope your dad recovers alright ,and will he ever feel safe to drive a spyder again ?
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

This thread is SCARING ME! Our Spyder is mainly for my wife, who, at 4 foot 11 is not exactly bullet proof...If brakes lock and she gets thrown off! OMG that would be terrible! I would be talking to a lawyer at that point...Yikes!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In spite of the histrionics: you can relax. The Sky isn't falling.

Chicken Little.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    In spite of the histrionics: you can relax. The Sky isn't falling.
    Maybe it IS.

There are a LOT of reports of parking brake failure.
    Just read back through ALL of the posts in this thread.

A friend of mine had his fail and then lock up on him.
    Thankfully he was going real slow at the time.

Some speculation here but I think the good news is: Haven't heard of any lock-ups just out of the blue.
    So the lesson is: once your parking brake fails, do NOT ride it until it is fixed.
    And.....do not accept "We can't find anything wrong" from the dealer.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 12-05-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If your Spyder isn't making you happy when you ride it: cut your losses, and sell it.
    Nobody should ride a bike that they don't trust...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Maybe it IS.

There are a LOT of reports of parking brake failure.
    Just read back through ALL of the posts in this thread.

A friend of mine had his fail and then lock up on him.
    Thankfully he was going real slow at the time.

Some speculation here but I think the good news is: Haven't heard of any lock-ups just out of the blue.
    So the lesson is: once your parking brake fails, do NOT ride it until it is fixed.
    And.....do not accept "We can't find anything wrong" from the dealer.
    Reminds me of the old line from many Harley dealers..."They all do that!" I will park the RT and get it towed if the parking brake starts giving me headaches...Until then, we will ride without fear, cause I am sure they do NOT all do that!

Spyder Garage

Or maybe BRP should pull their head out of their azs and get to the bottom of this !!!!
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Question, this thread is under Spyder RT Touring! Why isn’t it under Spyder general so everybody sees it! I’m sure it’s not an RT only problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PopGun View Post
    Parking Brakes locked up on my father at 50 mph. He is lucky to be alive. I am a Spyder RSS rider. My father had a 2018 RT Limited until yesterday.

After church he went out to the RT and went to start and the Parking brake would not disengage. This is the 4th time he has had to deal with this and he had conversations about it with our dealer that does the maintenance work around here for us. Just as he had done before he had to loosen the brake just enough to release it. Once the system recognized the release he proceeded home approximately 6-8 miles away. he was traveling down a main road and got the bike up to 50 mph and locked cruise control. within 3 seconds the parking light flashed and the bike locked down, sending him off the side of the road down a 4ft ditch flipping a couple of times.

Luckily the ground was soft enough he is horrible bruised has a severe burn where the exhaust pipe landed on his hip probably a broken hand and a fractured rib. But my father is ALIVE.

Please let us know if you have had a similar issue!!!
    Didn't you post on Facebook about this same incident? I thought you said he had problems with the brake not releasing so he disconnected the cable at the parking brake so he could get it to the dealer? If the brake cable had been disconnected, how did the bike lock the parking brake?

There have been a number of failures of the electric parking brake control but your is the first I have heard causing the brake to lock up while riding. Just FYI, locking up the parking brake does not effect steering and should not have you off in a ditch. Just slowing down pretty darn quick. I've done this before. If the bike jerked to one side on brake lock up, it was more likely one of the front brakes that locked, not the parking brake. Entirely different problem.

I am glad your dad is going to be ok, just would like to figure out what really happened mechanically here for future prevention.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 12-06-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Having originated this thread back in July 2017, I posted an update in Oct 2017 that read .....

......."Trouble ticket says -- 1) replaced gear motor, 2) replaced parking brake module.

P0571, P1571, HBS switch fault and HBS switch deactivation fault respectively.
    Good continuity between pin 1 & 3, closed and open. Good continuity between grn/wh wire and cluster.

Hope this may be of help to any on the forum.

Dealer tech wasn't able to duplicate the fault but a case # was created anyway."

Quite a few thousand of miles later and I've not had this problem reappear.
    Jus' sayin'

Spyder Garage

Default Parking brake self applied at 50 mph twice

I am serious. Without warning or cause my 2020 Spyder RTL parking brake applied itself while I and my wife were riding at 50mph. The smell of burning brakes was obvious. I was able to pull over but WOW this is scary. I will call Can Am tomorrow.