Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Parking brake light comes on - brakes lock up --- UPDATE

---- anyone have this happen without depressing the park switch ??

We did recently in Idaho while on the road. !!

Pulled up to gas pump and stopped normally with foot brake, went to apply parking brake but didn't need to -- it applied itself and "park light" was on !! Hmmmmm

Gassed up anyway and pressed parking switch to release brake --- NOPE -- light and brakes stay ON !!
    Frantically pressed brake switch numerous times to no avail.

Soooo --- stuck at gas pump so turned off ignition -- now what ?
    In the time it took me to realize I had no clue what to do (maybe 15 minutes), the brakes released but the red blinking light stayed on ?

Rode away OK but with brake light still on, stopping every couple of miles to see if i was burning up brake pads

But one cannot ride all day like that huh ?
    SPYDERCODES to the rescue -- Rexburg Powersports in ID only 2 miles away -- yay !!

Made a phone call and was told to "ride on over and we'll check the bike out" -- cool

Young Tech, Austin, plugged in the laptop and saw (to the best of my memory) two events stored as faults --

1) Brake activation
    2) Brake release
    He had no explanation as to why but he cleared the codes. NO CHARGE - big props to Austin and Rexburg Powersports in Idaho

Took me the rest of the day to accept that the brakes were now good . We were into our 3rd week on the road and didn't need that hanging over our heads !!

Any thoughts guys ?
    Last edited by HayRog; 10-18-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Nice....

Good to hear a story with a happy and speedy ending. Glad Rogers app came in handy and all ended well.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Me too

Me too I had this happen to me at the gas station, I finally got it to release and drove home with the brake light flashing. Parked the bike and it the brake would engage but the beeping would not stop, it beeped for 30 mins or so. Then stopped, started the bike disengaged the brake and off we went that was about a month ago and have not had another issue.

I do find it quite odd we had the same thing happen, I have a 2016 RT I only have a little over 700 miles on it, I think this happened about with about 400 miles on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post

Pulled up to gas pump and stopped normally with foot brake, went to apply parking brake but didn't need to -- it applied itself and "park light" was on !! Hmmmmm

Gassed up anyway and pressed parking switch to release brake --- NOPE -- light and brakes stay ON !!

In the time it took me to realize I had no clue what to do (maybe 15 minutes), the brakes released but the red blinking light stayed on ?

Rode away OK but with brake light still on, stopping every couple of miles to see if i was burning up brake pads

SPYDERCODES to the rescue -- Rexburg Powersports in ID only 2 miles away -- yay !!

Made a phone call and was told to "ride on over and we'll check the bike out" -- cool

Young Tech, Austin, plugged in the laptop and saw (to the best of my memory) two events stored as faults --

1) Brake activation
    2) Brake release
    He had no explanation as to why but he cleared the codes. NO CHARGE - big props to Austin and Rexburg Powersports in Idaho

Took me the rest of the day to accept that the brakes were now good . We were into our 3rd week on the road and didn't need that hanging over our heads !!

Any thoughts guys ?

Spyder Garage

I had this very thing happen to me 6-8 months ago on my 2015 RT. It went away, but then returned and I could not get it to resolve.

Dealer had to replace my switch, and it has not happened since.

New switch feels like it engages a lot better. I think my original slowly weakened over time and was shorted out. Or, possibly dirty.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I had this very thing happen to me 6-8 months ago on my 2015 RT. It went away, but then returned and I could not get it to resolve.

Dealer had to replace my switch, and it has not happened since.

New switch feels like it engages a lot better. I think my original slowly weakened over time and was shorted out. Or, possibly dirty.

Sooo -- not just me then but not a common occurrence.
    The tech at the dealership did take the switch out of the cluster and look at it. It was dusty but all the contacts looked ok and there was no loss of grease/dialectric stuff or any corrosion.
    Guess I wait till it happens again.
    Maybe walk away and have a coffee and let it "think about itself"

Spyder Garage

Default Happening to me intermittently

This has been happening to me for about a month. My dealer hasn't been able to repeat the failure to release. I'm about ready to force him to replace every component in the electric parking brake system.

Spyder Garage

Angry Parking Brake issue is more serious than anyone is acknowledgement

Parking Brakes locked up on my father at 50 mph. He is lucky to be alive. I am a Spyder RSS rider. My father had a 2018 RT Limited until yesterday.

After church he went out to the RT and went to start and the Parking brake would not disengage. This is the 4th time he has had to deal with this and he had conversations about it with our dealer that does the maintenance work around here for us. Just as he had done before he had to loosen the brake just enough to release it. Once the system recognized the release he proceeded home approximately 6-8 miles away. he was traveling down a main road and got the bike up to 50 mph and locked cruise control. within 3 seconds the parking light flashed and the bike locked down, sending him off the side of the road down a 4ft ditch flipping a couple of times.

Luckily the ground was soft enough he is horrible bruised has a severe burn where the exhaust pipe landed on his hip probably a broken hand and a fractured rib. But my father is ALIVE.

Please let us know if you have had a similar issue!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Tell them you will sue them

Sooo -- not just me then but not a common occurrence.
    The tech at the dealership did take the switch out of the cluster and look at it. It was dusty but all the contacts looked ok and there was no loss of grease/dialectric stuff or any corrosion.
    Guess I wait till it happens again.
    Maybe walk away and have a coffee and let it "think about itself"
    I believe the carrot works better than the stick but sometimes you gotta make a threat. Tell the dealer you are going to sue him and put him out of business if your Spyder locks up on you while your on the road. Tell them you will sue Can Am and put them out of the Spyder business (sorry Spyder lovers) if they don't fix the problem and you are in an accident. Maybe that will get someone to do something.

I'm concerned someone is going to get hurt if the brake locks up going down the interstate. Can Am needs to address this since multiple Spyders are having this issue.

Spyder Garage

According to the owners manual, the parking brake cannot be activated if the vehicle speed is above 6 mph. This would include having a faulty switch.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DonTheDude View Post
    I believe the carrot works better than the stick but sometimes you gotta make a threat. Tell the dealer you are going to sue him and put him out of business if your Spyder locks up on you while your on the road. Tell them you will sue Can Am and put them out of the Spyder business (sorry Spyder lovers) if they don't fix the problem and you are in an accident. Maybe that will get someone to do something.

I'm concerned someone is going to get hurt if the brake locks up going down the interstate. Can Am needs to address this since multiple Spyders are having this issue.
    I can understand your frustration, but you're new here and may not know this:
    The quality of service you get is DIRECTLY dependent on your dealer, NOT BRP.
    And if you want help from BRP, the last, I mean the very LAST thing you want to do is talk about lawyers.

My experience is that BRP is very helpful and will go out of their way to fix your bike, PROVIDED they are approached nicely by a dealer that is respected.

As always, my free unsolicited advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Maybe a weeee bit drastic, don't you think over a switch????
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Empty threats are counterproductive.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Mee Toooo

I am having the same issue and I have an 2018 Rt Limited. It locked up finally got a hold of mechanic that told me to release the cable from the back brake assembly. It rode fine as I drove 2 hours to the shop. Low and behold he could not get it to replicate the problem again. So I was on my way and at the time it only had 400 miles on it. Guess what happened again today and it only has 600+/_ miles now. I released the cable and drove it home. They want me to leave it with them so they can look in to it. I can release the brake now and it release and it will also lock but at times the light still flashes. Anyone have any ideas please?
    I am new on here so please bear with me if I put this post in wrong place.
    Thank you
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    Me too I had this happen to me at the gas station, I finally got it to release and drove home with the brake light flashing. Parked the bike and it the brake would engage but the beeping would not stop, it beeped for 30 mins or so. Then stopped, started the bike disengaged the brake and off we went that was about a month ago and have not had another issue.

I do find it quite odd we had the same thing happen, I have a 2016 RT I only have a little over 700 miles on it, I think this happened about with about 400 miles on the clock.

Spyder Garage

Default Daddyray ....

Scroll down to post #43 on the link below

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-lock-up/page2

Hope this helps you. :-)

Spyder Garage

1) Brake activation
    2) Brake release

Any thoughts guys ?
    I mentioned this before, I was having the intermittent parking brake lock up and then it completely locked up. I manually released the cable and took it to the dealer. They could not replicate the problem at the dealer but knew that I obviously was having issues. They replaced the parking brake switch and since that replacement, I have not had any further parking brake issues. I have seen others write how their parking brake issues went away with a new switch.

Gunner

Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake issues

[QUOTE=HayRog;1276002]---- anyone have this happen without depressing the park switch ??

1) Brake activation
    2) Brake release

Any thoughts guys

Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake issues

[QUOTE=DesertRider;1292790]

1) Brake activation
    2) Brake release

Any thoughts guys
    I have a 17 RT Ltd and I got out to ride today. The parking brake would not disengage. I turned off the bike, let it set a minute and tried again and it came off, I went for a mile or two ride, came home and set the brake, but it wouldn't set.......Parking Brake Failure I thought. I turned it off and the beeping started, so started it up again and everything worked fine. I rode for the day and had no more issues. I have made an appointment at the dealer just to have it hooked up to the laptop and see what happened.

Spyder Garage

1) Brake activation
    2) Brake release

Any thoughts guys ?
    Seems to be several of us on here with the parking brake issues. According to BRP, they have had no complaints. Well I have had two incidents and the Tech at the dealer can verify each time and date of default. Very aggravating, but it's an issue that takes more than just clearing the codes. This problem needs to be addressed by BRP and fixed.

Spyder Garage

Well, happened again parking brake wouldn't release. This time on the road in Oregon.

This time though I didn't panic, even though I was at a gas pump -- again !!

Sat there and let it beep at me for 90 seconds until the brake released, but, the light remained blinking. Blinking stopped 30 seconds later and the rest of the trip was uneventful.

Dealer visit time asap.

BTW -- 90 seconds feels like 9 minutes when there's a car behind you

Spyder Garage

Default Bike in shop ..

.. trouble ticket opened with BRP, WPM module on order and awaiting repairs. Gonna be a long week as the weather right now is prime for riding !

Really -- ANY weather is riding weather

Spyder Garage

Default Bike back home ---

--- 2 weeks later.
    Trouble ticket says -- 1) replaced gear motor, 2) replaced parking brake module.

P0571, P1571, HBS switch fault and HBS switch deactivation fault respectively.
    Good continuity between pin 1 & 3, closed and open. Good continuity between grn/wh wire and cluster.

Hope this may be of help to any on the forum.

Dealer tech wasn't able to duplicate the fault but a case # was created anyway.

Good on ya E.G. Power Sports

Spyder Garage

1) Brake activation
    2) Brake release

Any thoughts guys ?
    I had brake problem--- see quoted original entry below... the fix was to remove cable at rear wheel, reinstall exactly to the thread where it was... all worked for few weeks then same thing. removed cable at rear wheel again.. reinstall---just a hair looser, no problems for 5 weeks and 1200 miles... this is not a fix really, but the problem has not come back as of yet... seemed like the cable was so tight the motor and front cable tensioner wheel by your right knee under the plastic was unable to disengage... like when you park on a hill and your auto trans car is hard to get out of park because the weight of the car is on the parking "pin"... that is just a theory... no fault codes ever showed up. and i am riding on island of Oahu, which is 80-97 degrees now and a mix of freeway, city and coastal 35mph driving (my fav).

so--- what can be causing this issue....mmmm.. ????

2016 RT-S Parking brake will not disengage

Hello All,

Parking Brake will not release…

2016 RT-S with 2000 miles, parking brake has worked fine up to this point, park trike—engage—walk away. Upon start up, will not release when pressing rocker button. Brake lite flashes on dash showing engaged upon start up, when pressing switch to release, flashing dash brake lite stays on steady, brake will not disengage. Shut down engine, parking brake lite stays solid lit—no flash and beeps for 20 seconds, as if brake has not been set.

Have checked fuses—looks good, disconnected battery-reconnect – same problem.

Any thoughts and advise greatly appreciated…THANK YOU,
    JOE

Added on for clarity…

Checked brake reservoir --- level is perfect
    Checked locking nuts on back wheel brake assembly--- they are as the factory set

Spyder Garage

Default Multiple parking brake issues

I have a brand new 2017 RT Limited, which I purchased the end of January 2018. I had an intermittent parking brake issue where it would not engage so I had to carry a block to put behind my wheel when it wouldn't engage. The dealer had a hard time getting it to duplicate and the Buds file they were sending to BRP after they opened up a case file kept coming up empty. The apparently found something loose in the wiring harness and the buds file finally came up showing what happened. My bike has been at the dealer's since April 5th and still isn't fixed. They replaced the parking brake motor and switch and it was supposedly fixed but when I went to pick it up (in May!) the brand new parking brake motor wouldn't disengage!! The bike ended up staying there but I must say that the dealer felt so bad that they gave me a loaner for the trip I was taking the next day (4 days in the NC mountains doing the twisties). That was nice of them, especially since they weren't even the dealer I purchased my bike from!! Anyway, BRP had them order a new parking brake motor, switch, and sensor. The put that in and the problem still hasn't been resolved. As of today, July 5th, BRP had them order Windshield/Parking Brake Module, which was ordered today and is supposed to be overnighted by BRP so they should have it tomorrow. Hopefully that will finally fix my problem because my bike has been at the dealer longer than I've had it in my garage. I should add that I had emailed BRP early on when I first started having problems and the dealer had it for a week without getting the problem to duplicate and I took it on a short overnight trip and then brought it back to them. Contacting BRP in the beginning didn't seem to help speed things up (I contacted them to help the dealer out because they didn't feel they were being helped). Just recently I went on the FB page for Can-Am and posted a message about my dissatisfaction and I was asked to email them again, which I did. I got a call from BRP today and the customer service rep I talked to updated me on the part order and said he'd be watching when the part got there and would keep me updated. So I have a different rep checking things out and he seems much more into making sure it gets done so I won't be upset with BRP. I hope this getsmy issue resolved for good!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SC Spyder Girl View Post
    I hope this gets my issue resolved for good!!
    Thank you.

I admire folks who take the time to share the details of their unfortunate experiences so that others might benefit.

Posts in places like this are MUCH easier to read if you put in a little white space.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Thank you.

I admire folks who take the time to share the details of their unfortunate experiences so that others might benefit.

Posts in places like this are MUCH easier to read if you put in a little white space.

Thanks for the heads up about white space. I didn't even realize what my post would look like since it was my first one but I will definitely

keep that in mind if I post again. As an update, I got a call that my windshield/parking brake module is in (BRP did in fact overnight it) so the

technician will be working on it as of tomorrow.