Spyder Garage

Default 2014 ST limited won't start

I have a 2014ST limited. Started it this AM backed it out of garage turned it off. Came back 5 or 10 minutes later it cranks but does not start. No warning lights and no codes on the fault code page.

Put on Battery charger. Brought to full charge still no start.

Any suggestions?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beaudog View Post
    I have a 2014ST limited. Started it this AM backed it out of garage turned it off. Came back 5 or 10 minutes later it cranks but does not start. No warning lights and no codes on the fault code page.

Put on Battery charger. Brought to full charge still no start.

Any suggestions?
    It sounds flooded.

Twist the throttle to wide open and hold it there.
    Push the start button and crank the engine for 10 seconds.
    Let the starter cool for 1 minute.
    Repeat wide open throttle crank for 10 seconds and allow starter to cool.
    Then do a normal start.
    If it is really badly flooded you have to do this again.

Twisting the throttle wide open before cranking the engine turns the fuel injectors off.
    Last edited by billybovine; 07-06-2017 at 04:11 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default o . k an old trick

I am not sure of this for the can-am -ers spyder , but on some of the older bikes , you get a vapor lock in the tank ... your in Arizona , was you cycle in the garage ? ---- try opening the gas cap --- if I am right you will hear air rush in , a vacuum from going to a cold spot too outside temps . try it any way if not in a cooler location at the time of the 1st start ... { when I roll out my 2 wheeler , and the temp is some what high in humidity , I can kind of roll the gas cap under my palm and you can hear the air rush in ) hope it is this easy --------> p.s. my rider buddy --- kill switch ?

Spyder Garage

Tried both of those and checked all the fuses that would have anything to do with starting (I think).

It was hot almost 100 I will let it set over night and see.

Spyder Garage

Default Double check the KILL switch

Some bikes won't respond at all when the kill switch is off and others will crank until you run the battery down. My '15 ST Limited is currently in the shop with transmission issues, but I think Spyders will crank as if nothing is wrong!
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    I am not sure of this for the can-am -ers spyder , but on some of the older bikes , you get a vapor lock in the tank ... your in Arizona , was you cycle in the garage ? ---- try opening the gas cap --- if I am right you will hear air rush in , a vacuum from going to a cold spot too outside temps . try it any way if not in a cooler location at the time of the 1st start ... { when I roll out my 2 wheeler , and the temp is some what high in humidity , I can kind of roll the gas cap under my palm and you can hear the air rush in ) hope it is this easy --------> p.s. my rider buddy --- kill switch ?
    The fuel tank should be at or near atmospheric pressure. So if there is a vacuum. that needs to be fixed.
    Spyders will not crank with the kill switch is in the stopped position. So that is not what is wrong in this case.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

Generally one of two things...electrical or fuel related. As it cranks it is not the whole battery thing but still can be an ignition/spark/coil issue. And as for fuel could be in the fuel dilivery , injectors, filter, or the supply lines...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Smile Hot No Start?

I assume (and we know what that does) that since you are in Tombstone it is HOT. I believe that there is a High Temp Limit in the Control software that is sensed from the AirTemp sensor that will shut the bike down if exceeded. We don't worry about it here on the coast but that could be an issue where you are. Soaking in the sun may have cased a problem, check the Air Temp displayed Value at the top of your display screen, if it is over 130F. or so that may be the cause.
    Also the boiled fuel in the injectors flooding the engine would be the most likely culprit as others have said along with the correction measures.
    Anytime there is a problem, others here have had it and someone has the fix. Not me , however!

Spyder Garage

Default Update?

Any luck ??? The TWO (throttle wide open) usually fixes these the first go round

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

No luck had it in the garage all night and it was cool this morning so don't think it was heat. I don't have those special triangle shaped torex type sockets to get the panels off so guess I will just haul it to the dealer later in the week after the 4th.

Thanks for all the suggestions. You would think it would throw some type of error code but it does not.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TOOLS

Quote Originally Posted by SierraSue View Post
    No luck had it in the garage all night and it was cool this morning so don't think it was heat. I don't have those special triangle shaped torex type sockets to get the panels off so guess I will just haul it to the dealer later in the week after the 4th.

Thanks for all the suggestions. You would think it would throw some type of error code but it does not.
    Torx look like an - asterisk " * " ..... and you have them in your tool kit in the Spyder .......T -30 for almost everything ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Torx look like an - asterisk " * " ..... and you have them in your tool kit in the Spyder .......T -30 for almost everything ..... Mike
    And if you don't have the one from the tool kit......NOW would be a good time to get one.

Spyder Garage

Well i have true thorex but these things are triangle shaped. About 1/4 in per side.

Spyder Garage

Are you talking about the Givi tool to remove the luggage mounts. If so you got one with your Spyder when new. Probably in the cardboard box of extra stuff from the GPS. This is what you are looking for.

If you really don't have one. You need it and can be order through your Spyder dealer, from Givi or some aftermarket vendors as well.

You need to have this tool and carry it with you at all times. But I am not sure why you would need it for a no start problem?
    Last edited by billybovine; 07-06-2017 at 04:13 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

yep that looks like what I need. I'm still taking iot to dealer just have not had time to get it there.