Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Right on.

I have always been one of those that feel that "any" ride is a good ride. Another's choice of ride, is strictly up to them.

Have never criticized openly or covertly another brand or model.

That said, yesterday, when shopping at the food market, I encountered my second remark from another grizzled biker.

The first was years ago. At a gas station, I was told by the grizzled biker, that my 08 looked like a snowmobile. Well, yes, it did. And we both had a laugh over it.

Yesterday, the guy said he recognized me and I had one of those "three wheeler things--right?" I said yes. He then said "When I grow up, I am going to get me one of those." We shook hands and off we went on our separate ways. I did not have a comeback, but I am pretty sure I would still have remained silent.

Bottom line: At least we are both riding.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yes to all the reasons. Seventy-two years of age, artificial left hip, diminishing upper body strength, and I think my
    Spyder is just fine. And I can tell the nay-sayers that I already have a convertible and several "real" motorcycles, thank you very much. You enjoy your machine and I'll enjoy mine and we will all be happy.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Ride what you like and like what you ride.A bunch of us were hanging at the local convience store the other night and a truck driver walked buy and said he didn't see any real bikes.One person asked what is a real bike he said a Harley.There were Indians,Honda,Yamaha and my can am.He asked me if my can am drives like a snowmobile,told him I never drove a snowmobile but the can am is more fun then 40 years of 2 wheels.I asked him what he had and he said he wanted a harley but his wife wouldn't let him get it,everybody laughed and he walked away.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It doesn't matter what you ride...

...It's that you do!

True Understanding.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slick999 View Post
    Ride what you like and like what you ride.A bunch of us were hanging at the local convience store the other night and a truck driver walked buy and said he didn't see any real bikes.One person asked what is a real bike he said a Harley.There were Indians,Honda,Yamaha and my can am.He asked me if my can am drives like a snowmobile,told him I never drove a snowmobile but the can am is more fun then 40 years of 2 wheels.I asked him what he had and he said he wanted a harley but his wife wouldn't let him get it,everybody laughed and he walked away.

I have a bunch of so called friends that I ride with. Since buying the Spyder Rt, I have heard every joke and ridicule I can think of from them. I just laugh and say, Keep it up, but I'm not going to be that guy low sliding around a blind turn. I will be the guy getting to my destination with a smile on my face and no Monkey Butt.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by slick999 View Post
    A quick "I thought so", with a chuckle; often shuts up the wannabees...
    This pic reminds me of them...

Poseur.jpg

Spyder Garage

One small correction to the article. 'THERE ARE NO EX-MARINES.' There are Inactive Marines, however we can become 'active' in a moments notice.
    Very good article. At 70 yrs. young & after riding 2 wheels since 1968, it sure feels good not having to hold up a bike at every stop light/sign.

Ride forever!!

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The wife and I just got back from riding 173 miles today. We got three compliments on our bike and several questions, all of a good nature. One lady had her little boy, probably about 4-5 years old, with her and he was in total awe of our Spyder. I asked if he wanted to set on it and he asked his mom if he could with all of the enthusiasm of an eager little boy. His eyes were huge and his grin stretched from ear to ear as I helped him on. He was telling his mom that he wanted a motorcycle like that when he grew up. I'll bet he will be telling anyone he can about his sitting on our Spyder.

Last week I had a lady telling me how unsafe "those motorcycles with two wheels in front are". I was polite and asked her the reason for her belief. As she answered, it was obvious that she knew nothing about motorcycles of any type but I remained polite and explained to her about the advantages of a Spyder compared to other cycles. She shook her head affirmatively and told me to have a safe ride and to enjoy the day.

I think our attitude to others who ask about our Spyders can go a long ways toward promoting the brand. I welcome the chance to "sell" our brand at every opportunity.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After all: we're the best Ambassadors for the brand!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Funny things, perceptions.

I get mildly annoyed when I hear of the spyder being great for older or injured riders -
    Yes, they are - but not "only"...

I rode two wheels for decades, am only middlingly old (that's my story) and have no injuries - like many others I chose the spyder for many reasons, but not because it was the only option

When asked, I comment that I chose the spyder because it is heaps of fun, is an absolute blast to ride, and add that it has as many acronyms as my car (abs, etc)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybob View Post
    One small correction to the article. 'THERE ARE NO EX-MARINES.' There are Inactive Marines, however we can become 'active' in a moments notice.
    Even those who physically can't become 'active' again, they're still Marines forever!

Was riding home from a biker rally, stopped for gas and munchies, when a guy and young daughter walked by. He stopped and we chatted about all the Harleys rumbling by. He looked at my Spyder and asked me how I liked the rally. I smiled and said "They put up with me," which they do.

We chatted a bit more, then the guy turned to go in the store. His daughter tugged on his arm and whispered something to him. He turned and smiled at me and said "She says I should buy a bike like yours." My reply was "Your daughter has good taste!" I saw a sweet little girl give a shy smile...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

My favorite quote:

"Motorcycles are like ice cream. We all have our favorite flavor, but they all taste sweet"
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's about time that we started getting some respect. I had to chuckle a little today while on a memorial ryde for Bob "Biggin'" Schlindler and one of the Harley guys I followed for about 50 miles said to me, "You seem to lean a lot on that bike of yours in the corners. Do you have to do that to keep up with us?" My wife would have been proud of me. I said, "No, it's not required to make the corners, but it is more fun and allows you to go faster and in better control. In fact, there is not a Harley in this group (about 40 bikes) that could keep up with me on the twisties. My byke corners much better than your hogs." What I didn't say anything about was that he had made at least 7-8 mistakes; misjudging corners and coming in too hot and not leaning enough to compensate, then slamming the brakes on to recover. Several times, he ended up in the other lane on a double yellow (if a cage had been coming, it would have been a head on). There was one particular curve that he had to almost completely stop to get back into the curve or he would have ran straight off the road.
    So, I had given him LOTS of room since he was riding the bike like he was. Guess he thought he was really kicking my F3's butt in them corners. Yeah, right!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As they say: Ride more and worry less.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default no Monkey Butt?

Quote Originally Posted by Maddoggie501 View Post
    I have a bunch of so called friends that I ride with. Since buying the Spyder Rt, I have heard every joke and ridicule I can think of from them. I just laugh and say, Keep it up, but I'm not going to be that guy low sliding around a blind turn. I will be the guy getting to my destination with a smile on my face and no Monkey Butt.

I agree with the part about arriving smiling, but....tell us your secret about how being on three wheels instead of two guarantees no Monkey Butt.

Pete
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoswami View Post
    I agree with the part about arriving smiling, but....tell us your secret about how being on three wheels instead of two guarantees no Monkey Butt.

Pete
    The comment was in reference to my riding buddies who have to stand every 15 or 30 minutes on their bikes because their seat sucks. I also have one of them bikes which I avoid taking long trips on. The Spyder seems fine. Oh, I shouldn't mention the brand of bikes they ride (BMW). However, I worked for the company for a few years and I can honestly say, Russel Day Long Seats might be out of business if not for BMW. I had a BMW 1600 GTL ($30,000 plus) as a demo and could barley make a 30 minute ride without Monkey Butt setting in. Damn shame. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Last edited by Maddoggie501; 07-02-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have been riding with a bunch of Snow Birds here in Mesa, Az. for the last 15 years or so. The name of our Gang is "Over The Hill Gang" from East Valley. Almost all are Goldwings. And Almost all have "graduated" to trikes. The last few years I have been very vocal that we should rename our "gang" to "Over the hill Tricycle Gang" but it just doesn't have the same fear factor. Well, this year at 70 years of life, I have finally joined my tricycle friends on 3 wheels and glad to be able to keep the wind between my ears. My (much younger) wife inherited my Goldwing. But, some day her time is coming too......

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder to the rescue

Because of an inner ear problem and subsequent loss of balance around age 40 I had to give up a few sports that I loved for safety reasons , motorcycle riding was a big one ... golf is still doable but not the same . Seeing a couple Spyders at the Friday 13th weekend in Port Dover around 2010 got me thinking , and a few years later I " pulled the trigger" and bought my GS . I still get the " why don't you ride a real bike " from the clowns that have 10 Harley shirts and no bike but honestly most people show genuine interest in the machine and applaud the fact I am able to Ryde again because of this Spyder . One thing I know is if by some miracle my balance was 100 % normal again I would NOT go back to 2 wheel bikes , too many " almost" incidents for me and many bad things I see happen commuting everyday on our roads .... and yes these things are their own kind of fun to drive anyway 🕷🕸

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    My favorite quote:

"Motorcycles are like ice cream. We all have our favorite flavor, but they all taste sweet"

Spyder Garage

Default loisk, question on perception....

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Funny things, perceptions.

I get mildly annoyed when I hear of the spyder being great for older or injured riders -
    Yes, they are - but not "only"...

I rode two wheels for decades, am only middlingly old (that's my story) and have no injuries - like many others I chose the spyder for many reasons, but not because it was the only option

When asked, I comment that I chose the spyder because it is heaps of fun, is an absolute blast to ride, and add that it has as many acronyms as my car (abs, etc)
    First, let me say, I agree with everything you say. That is why I'm specifically asking you. My perception is that there are many members with hip/knee replacements that seem to use that as a reason for not being able to perform as they once did. To me that's not the reason why their performance is off; that's just more of an excuse for not doing some form of exercise, the result muscle atrophy and decreased ROM. That's my perception. What might your input be? You can P.M., if you choose to answer. Of course, my perception may be slanted because I work in physical therapy.

I know there are a few that will hit on the word performance, and automatically comment on the bedroom, which is not what I'm talking about.

Spyder Garage

Default Love the irony

I love the irony! All of those V twin riders on their ape-hangers are the rebels. They are the guys that choose their future, their path, their freedom.

But, you see them all over the road on the same Harley wearing the same clothes! Seems to be conforming to me.

Along comes something radical, re-engineered, and head-turning and they bash it.

I was at the Texas ROT Rally, and didn't give a flip if they liked it or not.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

One moment at the motorcycle rally when we were riding the "loop" at the meeting....

Mind you there are things that these eyes will never "unsee" and the debauchery was at Mardi Gras level.... but..

There were two drunk guys riding on the back of a golf cart in front of us and I could tell they were bashing my Spyder. I slowly rode closer to them and told them that she jumped off of a Harley to ride with me. "Have fun on the back of your golf cart."

16388365_10212066899887327_6438076095225102263_n.jpg19092773_10213381131622299_292039061434330475_o.jpg
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a class M license and have no restrictions either. I do have arthritis in both elbows and occasionally it is extremely painful to move my arms, along with limited range of motion. As long as everything went right, I wouldn't have problems, as long as I was by myself with no extra gear.

Throw a passenger, extra gear, etc., into the mix and I would be asking for trouble. My Spyder takes that worry out of life. I still work, and like someone who's illiterate, I have developed says to compensate for my arthritis. My Spyder happens to be one of them!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it gets your "knees back out in the breeze"; who gives a crap what anyone else thinks?