Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Well you can disagree all you want but IF you live in an area that changes the formulation seasonally, then the "summer" blend has a slightly lower energy density. The energy density goes down as the temperature of the fuel pumped goes up too.......but the underground tanks don't vary that much in most areas.

Are you telling us that you actually RIDE in the winter in New Yorks state ??

IF you really care about this, do a Google search on "winter blend gasoline".
    The only Month that I've never had the pleasure to ride in, is January.
    Having said that: do you actually believe that I don't notice a difference in the fuel economy of the RAV4 that my Missus drives?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default What the hell, I'll throw my 2 cents in.

With a 2014 RTS:

1. I always fill my tank to the brim. When the gas nozzle is all the way in and the tank shuts off, I pull the nozzle out to the edge and continue filling. Have NEVER had a problem from doing this.

2. No, I don't ryde my Spyder in the winter but from cars and trucks driven in the winter in Canada, I can say with certainty that we do not get any where near as good mileage in the winter with the winter blend gasoline. A widely held belief in Canada at least by those of us that have lived in some of the colder parts. Is it the winter blend gas or the fact that vehicles just aren't as efficient in the winter? Possibly a combination of both? Gasoline storage tanks being under ground helps keep the gas cool and at close to the same temperature summer or winter in those tanks. Once in the vehicle seasonal temperatures take affect.

Gary

Meant to add that I have always been happy with the accuracy of our analog gauge on our 14.
    Last edited by cognaccruiser; 07-06-2017 at 07:30 AM. Reason: addition
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Over my first 750 miles since it came out the crate it's averaged 42 mpg. But that's Imoerial gallons which are 1.2 something US gallons. Makes a difference but if course doesn't increase the distance it will go.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If your Imperial Gallons are about 20% larger than ours; does that makes yours "economy-sized"?
    BTW 42 mpg Imperial: works out to about 35 mpg of our tinier gallons.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If your Imperial Gallons are about 20% larger than ours; does that makes yours "economy-sized"?
    BTW 42 mpg Imperial: works out to about 35 mpg of our tinier gallons.
    Economy, you must be joking. Work this out. 1 ltr of fuel here costs on average £1.16. Times 4.52 to the gallon, a Total of £5.24 per gallon. A Pound is today 1.29 USD.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTman10 View Post
    Economy, you must be joking. Work this out. 1 ltr of fuel here costs on average £1.16. Times 4.52 to the gallon, a Total of £5.24 per gallon. A Pound is today 1.29 USD.
    I never said that this was a Sport for the meek and timid!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Having said that: do you actually believe that I don't notice a difference in the fuel economy of the RAV4 that my Missus drives?
    Honestly I don't know what to think about you some times.

I am not a mind reader so I don't know what other vehicles your family has OR what you have observed with them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Honestly I don't know what to think about you some times.

I am not a mind reader so I don't know what other vehicles your family has OR what you have observed with them.
    Did I EVER say that my experience was only limited to my eight years of riding Spyders?
    That would forego the 45 years of driving on the road (legally), and the dozen or so years of crashing mini-bikes into things.

If it had a trip odometer, and I knew how much fuel went in: I recorded the fuel mileage.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-06-2017 at 09:29 AM.

Spyder Garage

The typical analog voltmeter has a full scale range of 0 to 15 volts or so.
    When the system is working right, the charging voltage runs around 13.4 volts.
    When it goes bad, it drops down to 12.5 or a bit less.
    That ONE VOLT drop equates to about the width of the needle.
    It is almost impossible to NOTICE that slight movement of the needle.

At 12.0 volts, the battery is half discharged already......but the gauge still hasn't moved much.
    The engine likely will stumble OR it won't turn over enough to start before you notice anything with the meter.
    Analog voltmeters are USELESS in most common situations.

To be useful, you need a digital meter with two digits after the decimal point: 12.85 volts, for example.
    Thank you very much!
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irvin48 View Post
    also, remember your fuel is used to cool the fuel pump. so you want to have some gas level in the tank at all times.

no one ever did say if the 14 and newer rt's have the digital
    gauges when the analogs are unhooked. WELL, do they ?--irv
    Yes. I removed both gauges to install ram mounts for my tablet and phone right after I got the Spyder. Been looking at the bars on the cluster screen ever since.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Been there....

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    I have found that when the low fuel light comes on, I have about a gallon and a half of gas left. Thats when I start looking for a gas station. I have gone 250 miles on a tank but I dont generally push it that far. Also the Spyder doesnt start sputtering when you are about to run out of gas, they just stop. You can guess how I found that out.
    Yup, no sputter just a cough and coast! Restart was no issue though!

Spyder Garage

where are you able to drive 55, except the school zone

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I strongly suggest that you disconnect/remove the fuel and temp gauges and then you will get the much more accurate digital versions on the center screen.

Once I did that my mileage capacity per tank increase by about 50 miles. I used to fill up when it was reading very close to empty and I would only get 3.5 gallons in the tank. Now with the digital I regularly add 4 - 5 gallons, and there is still room for more.

Try the experiment, pull the panel with your guages, disconnect the wire to the two, and turn on the Byke, the new guages will appear. Then remove them and add maybe a volt guage or charging ports.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    50 miles difference on a tank at 75 mph compared to 55 mph
    2012 , java

Spyder Garage

30 miles from gas, now that is pretty hard here on east coast

The RTs with the 998 engines had fuel gauges that were... pretty dang inaccurate!
    It was ALWAYS best to ride by the tip odometers.

But the 1330 bikes have fuel gauges that are accurate and repeatable. Run them down to when the "Low Fuel" light comes on, and you'll invariably take right about 5.5 gallons.
    So that leaves you with over a gallon of fuel for finding an open gas station!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-09-2019 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2012 , java

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My point is that the gauge is accurate enough, that you CAN use it reliably.
    Nobody ever said that you HAD to run it down that far!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerrydonna View Post
    where are you able to drive 55, except the school zone
    Get OFF of the freeways.

There is a lot of beautiful country out there.......and it is best viewed at a leisurely pace.

If you pick a US route that roughly parallels an Interstate, the pavement is usually good, the traffic is light and you have an "out" if you need to get in a hurry for some reason.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My point is that the gauge is accurate enough, that you CAN use it reliably.
    Nobody ever said that you HAD to run it down that far!
    It is repeat-ability that you need.
    Absolute accuracy isn't that important......unless maybe the tank goes empty BEFORE the gauge hits bottom.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I addressed the issue of repeatability in an earlier post...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I removed both gauges to install ram mounts for my tablet and phone right after I got the Spyder. Been looking at the bars on the cluster screen ever since.
    For those who have removed the gauges for 12 volt and/or USB ports, where did you get the right size to fit in the holes?

Thanks

Spyder Garage

The other option, that I use, is the Fuel feature on my Garmin 590. Set max distance to 200 miles, set warning to 170 miles, and up pops a "refill required in 30 miles" type warning, and it displays the nearest fuel spots (including those behind you, just in case.) I also reset Trip A to zero, just as a fallback. Mind you, once you get on our outback country roads out here, you have to set the warning to 195 miles

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Most gas bought

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    I've gotten 210 miles on my 15 RT-S w/ 2up and towing a 622 trailer packed. Then again I fill till it wont take any more. You know you can keep putting in at the top till it wont go down any more. Once I got 6.755 gal. squeezed into it. What is the most anyone has put into there bike? I thought it only had a 6.8 gal tank. And BRP syas I should be able to get 252 miles on a tank. ya right.

5.93 gal 2016 RTS 13k mi. Never got 200 mpg due to way I ride.

Spyder Garage

Default gas gauge

when I travel I spend many miles in North and South Dakota when I see a sign giving the distance to the next town I check my gauge I have filled up with half a tank left just to be safe especially on a Sunday. I have learned to pay attention to the distance I must travel and the availability of gas between points A and B I was running low on fuel in North Dakota and pulled into a small town [name forgotten] asked a local fellow if there was a gas station directed me to a house in town there was a single pump in front of the house and you had to knock on the door and hope they were home we were lucky I start looking at about 1/4 of a tank depending on location don't want to get that low again.

Spyder Garage

I disconnected my gages to run some wires on my 2016 RTL, but I didn’t see any digital gages
    appear. Do you have to do anything else?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by george123 View Post
    I disconnected my gages to run some wires on my 2016 RTL, but I didn’t see any digital gages
    appear. Do you have to do anything else?
    You disconnected all three wires from both the temp and gas gauges, right? Are you saying you aren't seeing the two sets of bars under the temp and gas icons on the cluster as shown in this pic?

cluster.JPG

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Nevermind!!!! I DO have that. I guess I was looking for a normal looking gage. Thanks for the picture. I got in too big of a rush last night to realize it was there.
    Last edited by george123; 07-17-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDavis View Post
    For those who have removed the gauges for 12 volt and/or USB ports, where did you get the right size to fit in the holes?

Thanks
    I just got some blanks from these folks;

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...ank-black-52mm
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue