Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default FUEL GUAGE ACCURACY

Up to now on my BMW I've been used to having a fuel guage that counts down the miles left to run. Now with just a traditional guage to go by I was wondering how accurate it is. Run it to empty do I shudder to a stop or like the BMW it runs for at least 20 miles when it says zero.

Spyder Garage

Lot depends on year model(pre2010 bounced a lot) but for most of us stateside we track our miles with the trip meter & watch the gauge simultaneously. Generaly you do get 15-20 miles after bottom of gauge but best not to get that close & start looking fore some place when the fuel light come on.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Question: So, are you saying that you would (typically) have 15-20 miles at one bar and low fuel warning light on? Or, something else?

I'm pulling over at about 180 miles, which seems awfully low to me as a new (2016) F3TSpyder owner.

Spyder Garage

Default .

I've gotten 210 miles on my 15 RT-S w/ 2up and towing a 622 trailer packed. Then again I fill till it wont take any more. You know you can keep putting in at the top till it wont go down any more. Once I got 6.755 gal. squeezed into it. What is the most anyone has put into there bike? I thought it only had a 6.8 gal tank. And BRP syas I should be able to get 252 miles on a tank. ya right.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Lot depends on year model(pre2010 bounced a lot) but for most of us stateside we track our miles with the trip meter & watch the gauge simultaneously. Generaly you do get 15-20 miles after bottom of gauge but best not to get that close & start looking fore some place when the fuel light come on.
    Got a 17 Limited . I have set the trip on fill up but so far have chickened out when the guage shows 1/4 full. I would expect to get about 250 miles out if a tank but as you say there is still fuel there when it shows empty.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I strongly suggest that you disconnect/remove the fuel and temp gauges and then you will get the much more accurate digital versions on the center screen.

Once I did that my mileage capacity per tank increase by about 50 miles. I used to fill up when it was reading very close to empty and I would only get 3.5 gallons in the tank. Now with the digital I regularly add 4 - 5 gallons, and there is still room for more.

Try the experiment, pull the panel with your guages, disconnect the wire to the two, and turn on the Byke, the new guages will appear. Then remove them and add maybe a volt guage or charging ports.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I strongly suggest that you disconnect/remove the fuel and temp gauges and then you will get the much more accurate digital versions on the center screen.

Once I did that my mileage capacity per tank increase by about 50 miles. I used to fill up when it was reading very close to empty and I would only get 3.5 gallons in the tank. Now with the digital I regularly add 4 - 5 gallons, and there is still room for more.

Try the experiment, pull the panel with your guages, disconnect the wire to the two, and turn on the Byke, the new guages will appear. Then remove them and add maybe a volt guage or charging ports.

Joe
    Does this also work on the 1330 models?
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I believe that it does, again just unplug them and c for yourself.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have found that when the low fuel light comes on, I have about a gallon and a half of gas left. Thats when I start looking for a gas station. I have gone 250 miles on a tank but I dont generally push it that far. Also the Spyder doesnt start sputtering when you are about to run out of gas, they just stop. You can guess how I found that out.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Thank you gentlemen. Didn't even know it had a low fuel light, don't like reading handbooks,
    .I shall try the light option but have a small csn in the back the first time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    I have found that when the low fuel light comes on, I have about a gallon and a half of gas left. Thats when I start looking for a gas station. I have gone 250 miles on a tank but I dont generally push it that far. Also the Spyder doesnt start sputtering when you are about to run out of gas, they just stop. You can guess how I found that out.
    I can say that I've done all of this exactly as described except for the part about knowing how it shuts down! That said, if anyone needs to know just exactly what happens when you hit the red kill switch at 77 mph, just let me know!
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I've read several posts here of just how bad it was to 'overfill' the gas tank, and indeed the manual does say that and to stop at the pump's auto turn off feature. I've been doing that...But, why is the Spyder different from my past Goldwing and why does the first fuel level light turn off after about 5 miles. I'm going to 'overfill' my Spyder, we'll see what bad things happen...or not.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    Then remove them and add maybe a volt guage or charging ports.
    Unless you got a digital voltmeter, your "volt gauge" is even LESS useful than the one that it replaced.
    The bike will refuse to start before the needle moves far enough for you to notice.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    I have found that when the low fuel light comes on, I have about a gallon and a half of gas left.
    Me too. Based on the published tank capacity and the amount that I pump in.
    Based on ~30 MPG, I figure that is plenty of "reserve".
    But it depends on what kind of an area you will be riding in.
    I start looking for gas when the needle starts touching E.
    That way the light usually doesn't come on at all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nealperkins View Post
    I'm going to 'overfill' my Spyder, we'll see what bad things happen...or not.
    BAD plan.

First, if your tank inlet is designed like mine, trying to "overfill" it will result in a hell of a mess.......unless maybe you use a cup and funnel.

Second, part of the danger comes from the sucking liquid fuel into the vapor recovery system. When you do that, the problems sometimes don't show up right away and are progressive until you notice the engine isn't running quite right.

And why it wasn't a problem with the Goldwing: Different vehicle, different design.
    It IS a potential problem with most all modern bikes, cars and trucks.
    Especially if you overfill it and then let it sit out in the sun right away.

Spyder Garage

So how come I can't get the mileage or the gallons in the tank BRP says it will hold?

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

I figure what my average mpg is and figure I have at least that many after the warning. I generally run out to see if it is true and so far always is. I carry a liter fuel canister but generally look for fuel after the warning. Here with the epa laws you will come up short having to push the nozzel so far into the tank to get the fuel to flow. I normally pull the seal back and fill till the fuel bubbles at the vent and this gets the tank as full as it should be. There are different tank capasities so there will be different ranges.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Usually fill when she hits two bars just before light comes on. BUT just yesterday was out and pushed her as I wanted to beat the rain and get to my fav station that has high-test non-ethanol.

When I hit the gas station, she had NO bars left, the light was on, she had gone 210 miles and took 6.1 gallons. Manual says it takes 7. Not sure you'd say I overfilled her but yes I topped her off, a couple of times !
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nealperkins View Post
    So how come I can't get the mileage or the gallons in the tank BRP says it will hold?
    Well first you need to explain exactly what you mean by that.

In order to find out what the absolute max. range is and what the real total tank capacity IS........
    You would first need to run it completely out of gas.
    Then you would need to drain the tank and see if any is left.
    And only then would you fill it up and see how much it takes.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    BAD plan.

First, if your tank inlet is designed like mine, trying to "overfill" it will result in a hell of a mess.......unless maybe you use a cup and funnel.

Second, part of the danger comes from the sucking liquid fuel into the vapor recovery system. When you do that, the problems sometimes don't show up right away and are progressive until you notice the engine isn't running quite right.

And why it wasn't a problem with the Goldwing: Different vehicle, different design.
    It IS a potential problem with most all modern bikes, cars and trucks.
    Especially if you overfill it and then let it sit out in the sun right away.
    I have over 30,000 miles on my 2014 RT and have filled the tank to where the lip is ....most of the time ..... No engine issues ....and because of a major re-design the gas can't get into the evap canister ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have over 30,000 miles on my 2014 RT and have filled the tank to where the lip is ....most of the time ..... No engine issues ....and because of a major re-design the gas can't get into the evap canister ..... Mike
    So that's something else not to worry about. Good.

Spyder Garage

Default mileage

50 miles difference on a tank at 75 mph compared to 55 mph

Spyder Garage

The subject of gas gauge comes up from time to time.

The analog gauge is to give you an "idea" of how much gas is in the tank.

The digital gauge is a bit more accurate, but there is no such thing as miles per bars. Like most gas gauges, in the upper range, you get more miles per bar, in the low range less.

The suggestion to zero a trip meter (either A or B) at each gas fill is the best idea. Get to know your and drive accordingly. You will soon know how many miles "your" will get per tank, which also depends on "your" driving habits.

When the refill light goes on, its time to start looking for more gas.

Last, refill to the same level each time. I always come up to the filler ring, stop, let it settle for a second or two, come up to the ring a second time, and STOP.

We usually get about 150 miles to refill light on the 998 and 200 on the 1330. I have done 180 on the 998, it showed empty, and took 5.2 gallons to refill that one time.

And of course the usual: WARNING, WARNING, WARNING, your gas mileage may vary.

Excessive wind resistance and excessive speed will both suck up your mpg--if that matters to you.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-01-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The RTs with the 998 engines had fuel gauges that were... pretty dang inaccurate!
    It was ALWAYS best to ride by the tip odometers.

But the 1330 bikes have fuel gauges that are accurate and repeatable. Run them down to when the "Low Fuel" light comes on, and you'll invariably take right about 5.5 gallons.
    So that leaves you with over a gallon of fuel for finding an open gas station!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Or running into a headwind versus running with a 25 MPH wind at your back

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    50 miles difference on a tank at 75 mph compared to 55 mph
    Lots of variables but IMO, the biggest variable on the RT is the wind resistance and how fast you're trying to push it. Some days the low fuel light comes on at 170 miles and some days when you're running less fast or with the wind, you can go 210 before the light comes on (with the 1330 engine). The low fuel light comes on with one bar left on the center gauge cluster and I have gone 30 miles more without running out (reduce speed to 55 and don't be pushing wind). Knock on wood, we have yet to run out of gas. I also like the redesign Mike quoted where previously a full fill would risk puttling gas in the evap canister on the earlier pre '2014 "hot" models.
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 07-02-2017 at 07:54 AM. Reason: add "previously"
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss