Thread: Ignition key

Spyder Garage

Default Ignition key

Is there a less expensive source for an ignition key than a dealer? I need one for a 2015 RTS.
    $51 seems a bit steep?

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting. ...

Will watch to see what comes up. I know for the older models it was not a problem but I don't know if it is only the programing that is the issue or the whole key blank with chip. ( we got them online, aprilla blanks worked) I know you can not clone the newer keys...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    Is there a less expensive source for an ignition key than a dealer? I need one for a 2015 RTS.
    $51 seems a bit steep?
    Nope. That's the list price. Buy the key and have it cut by a locksmith, for a fee undoubtedly, and take it back to the dealer to have it programmed into BUDS. If you can get the dealer to program it into BUDS for no charge that's about as low a cost as you are going to be able to get by with. The keys for 2014 and on are proprietary to BRP and no one has come up with a copy.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replays and info.

Spyder Garage

Default Programing Extra Key

The price of the key is around $50 to $55 regardless which dealer it is purchased from. A problem I am having is getting the extra Key programmed. The CanAm Dealer in Raleigh NC is having trouble programming the key. The extra key I purchased has been programmed and the original key no longer works. They are baffeled as to why they can't program 2 keys instead of just one. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimBway View Post
    The price of the key is around $50 to $55 regardless which dealer it is purchased from. A problem I am having is getting the extra Key programmed. The CanAm Dealer in Raleigh NC is having trouble programming the key. The extra key I purchased has been programmed and the original key no longer works. They are baffeled as to why they can't program 2 keys instead of just one. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
    This isn't unique to BRP. I went through this getting an extra key for my 2008 Xterra; in order to program that key AND have all the other ones still work they had to program ALL of them at one time. Take all your keys to the dealer and have them all programmed at the same time during the same session.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Inexpensive keys

Do a search here on "keys." It'll be a long one, but I read here where someone located keys for 14's and up that could be cloned to an existing key and function as if it was an original key. If I remember correctly it was cut and cloned at a Lowes store somewhere in the mid west. I read the posts in August or September of 2014 because one of my keys was stolen shortly after I bought my spyder. Long story, but I paid through the nose to have to have one new key made and the other key's chip changed and the bike's memory changed to match the new keys.

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I lost one of my keys a while back. I still have not got another one yet..I have been reading some posts, like finless Bob's post about keys. I was reading the manual and if you get another key cloned to your original key you have to get the new key programmed and also the original key re-programmed at the same time from my understanding..
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On the subject of Ignition keys
    This is just a question

If you had the DEES system switched off would a non chipped key one had copied be able to start the Spyder and allow it to be ridden
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bronzeflex42 View Post
    I lost one of my keys a while back. I still have not got another one yet..I have been reading some posts, like finless Bob's post about keys. I was reading the manual and if you get another key cloned to your original key you have to get the new key programmed and also the original key re-programmed at the same time from my understanding..
    Up through 2013 models you had the option of cloning the key. If you clone the key the DESS thinks it is the same key as the OEM that was used for cloning. No programming of the DESS is needed. If you buy a BRP key after it is cut you have to have it programmed into the DESS, but you must have all your keys available for programming as all the keys must be programmed in at the same time.

For 2014 and later there is no way known to us to clone a key. Your only option is to buy a BRP key. That key then then needs to added to the DESS list of authorized keys. If you lost a key you will want to have the key deleted from DESS. The dealer can add a new key one at a time. They don't need all of them. It's really not 'programming' the same as for pre 2014. All the dealer has to do is add it.

In fact, if you have two Spyders, 2014 and later, you could probably add all of the keys to each Spyder's DESS and any of the keys would operate either Spyder.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimBway View Post
    What year is your Spyder?

2014 Copper RTS