Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    The "Kill Switch" has absolutely no value other then another means of turning off the bike. It is not a means of accident reduction. It will not assist in anything anywhere at anytime other then giving you a warm fuzzy feeling that you are doing "something". Pressing the "eco" button likewise does absolutely nothing and both are advice given by lawyers to reduce financial loss.

By the time you figure out to shut off your engine after an accident your significant other has already cashed in your life insurance policy and is sitting on a beach drinking pinna coladas. This of course is after you were scraped off the tread of the truck that ran over you.
    You know... statements like this are so flat out ridiculous....for you to claim "It will not assist in anything anywhere at anytime..." when we have a person ON THIS THREAD who had just such a situation where it DID assist them.

Fine.. we get it... YOU don't want to use it.... but it DOES serve a purpose.. and no.. it's not all about 'accident reduction'. Not sure how many times we have to say that for you to understand it.

It's common sense to use it.. and you've provided ZERO reason why a person should not use it. Switch failures have been very rare.

Don't personally like to use it ... fine... but you're giving bad advice to others that is in direct conflict with what EXPERTS who train MSF make very clear... use the damn thing.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post
    Wow another topic that we can beat to death and spin our Wheel's no pun intended. I brought up TCLOCK and it was dismissed but whatever we preach we follow what they taught me in my MSF class . I took a MSF class sponsored by Harley and the other by NAME and advanced skills they really pushed TCLOCK and the value of checking your Ride before every Ride. In today's world is probably a good idea to know were the switch is since your probably either looking at your GPS adjusting the volume on your music are reaching for drink cup Really!
    Most don't know what TCLOCK is. If you want people to learn and follow it, then maybe you should post a TCLOCK checklist rather than just claim it was 'dismissed'. Not everyone is going to be 'by the book', nor is inspecting every bike going to be the same. I keep trying to check my kickstand per TCLOCK but can't seem to find it.... lol. I doubt most of us do proper checks before EVERY ride. I do a quick once-over and only do a serious checklist when going on a trip. I'd probably be more stringent if I were on two wheels.

Using the kill switch makes good sense despite what some are saying out here. There are no good reasons not to use it, and many good reasons to.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Beautiful

Never used the engine cutoff as a routine and never will unless Can Am says it protects the electrical system. As far as a "safety" feature the cutoff is worthless in an accident. I have investigated HUNDREDS of accidents including many motorcycle accidents. They happen fast and without warning leaving the rider/driver no time to do anything.....other then scream "sh*t". I wonder what people think they are accomplishing by flipping that kill switch? If you can't remember to turn the key to off then you might forget to brake or stop at red lights or chew before you swallow. Maybe Can Am will have people press the Eco to remind them of another useless worthless lawyer inspired lawsuit reducing procedure.

Go ahead and flip that kill switch.....and throw out a boat anchor while your at it, you never know, a tsunami might be heading your way.
    As always, another positive comment!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Typical

The "Kill Switch" has absolutely no value other then another means of turning off the bike. It is not a means of accident reduction. It will not assist in anything anywhere at anytime other then giving you a warm fuzzy feeling that you are doing "something". Pressing the "eco" button likewise does absolutely nothing and both are advice given by lawyers to reduce financial loss.

By the time you figure out to shut off your engine after an accident your significant other has already cashed in your life insurance policy and is sitting on a beach drinking pinna coladas. This of course is after you were scraped off the tread of the truck that ran over you.
    As usual, you are the only one arguing. Others are only stating why they use the kill switch. You are the only one in this discussion "arguing for the sake of arguing." There must be something positive you have to offer......... though I am not too sure we have time to wait for that. Look to find something positive in life you will be happier, and so will we!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default I use it

I always shift into neutral, apply the emergency brake, and then hit the kill switch I immediately reset the kill switch so I am ready to go again. This was taught to by an experienced Spyder Ryder and it makes sense. So I know where it is, without thinking about it, and I am aware of what it does. In fact on our Iron Butt, I was doing 75 across the desert 🌵 experienced a loss of power. It freaked me out! Looked at the kill switch and I saw that I had hit with my hand and shut the machine down. Flipped the switch without ever stopping and the engine came back to life and espoused to throttle input. Did it again crossing South Dakota this year. Certainly wakes you up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I always shift into neutral, apply the emergency brake, and then hit the kill switch I immediately reset the kill switch so I am ready to go again. This was taught to by an experienced Spyder Ryder and it makes sense. So I know where it is, without thinking about it, and I am aware of what it does. In fact on our Iron Butt, I was doing 75 across the desert 🌵 experienced a loss of power. It freaked me out! Looked at the kill switch and I saw that I had hit with my hand and shut the machine down. Flipped the switch without ever stopping and the engine came back to life and espoused to throttle input. Did it again crossing South Dakota this year. Certainly wakes you up!
    Couldn't agree more, Pirate. Road Kill seems to have a fixation with only using the kill switch in an accident, while everyone else is listing the alternative reasons they have found a semi "automated" knowledge of its position to be of value. That's exactly why I am incorporating it in future.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I fully expect that some of you would change your mind after you forget to turn the ignition switch off.......and run your battery down......after using the "kill" switch to stop the engine.
    Of course, that also means that you forgot to take the key OUT of the ignition too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All this gibberish about the "kill switch" has me wondering who actually reads the very important "safety card"?
    Since almost everyone is in love with the "kill switch" they must also read religiously the "safety card".
    Who reads the "safety card" before they press the eco button? (YOU DO READ IT .....RIGHT?)......(SEVERAL TIMES A DAY!)
    Next week the simpletons will argue they check their air pressure every day! (EVERY FRIGGIN DAY!)

I'm heading out to use the "kill switch" cause.....
    I might have forgotten to take my key out.
    Maybe I forgot to get off my bike.
    I might get kidnapped by aliens.....you people are too much.

Spyder Garage

All this gibberish about the "kill switch" has me wondering who actually reads the very important "safety card"?
    Since almost everyone is in love with the "kill switch" they must also read religiously the "safety card".
    Who reads the "safety card" before they press the eco button? (YOU DO READ IT .....RIGHT?)......(SEVERAL TIMES A DAY!)
    Next week the simpletons will argue they check their air pressure every day! (EVERY FRIGGIN DAY!)

It's interesting how everyone's ideas that differ from yours are "gibberish". Road Kill.....I think that pretty much says it all, apart from you obviously feeling that name calling somehow strengthens your opinion.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    You know... statements like this are so flat out ridiculous....for you to claim "It will not assist in anything anywhere at anytime..." when we have a person ON THIS THREAD who had just such a situation where it DID assist them.

Fine.. we get it... YOU don't want to use it.... but it DOES serve a purpose.. and no.. it's not all about 'accident reduction'. Not sure how many times we have to say that for you to understand it.

It's common sense to use it.. and you've provided ZERO reason why a person should not use it. Switch failures have been very rare.

Don't personally like to use it ... fine... but you're giving bad advice to others that is in direct conflict with what EXPERTS who train MSF make very clear... use the damn thing.

"KILL SWITCHES" are generally considered "emergency KILL switches." And yes they are there for a reason. But not to shut off your machine on a regular basis. That's what the key is for. (IMO)
    Maybe I'm wrong here: But if you just hit the kill switch, the "system" is still draining the battery. ~ And that is a BAD thing. Especially if you forget. (leave key on in garage etc.)
    Last edited by TRLBLZR1; 07-03-2017 at 11:27 PM.
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TRLBLZR1 View Post
    "KILL SWITCHES" are generally considered "emergency KILL switches." And yes they are there for a reason. But not to shut off your machine on a regular basis. That's what the key is for. (IMO)
    Maybe I'm wrong here: But if you just hit the kill switch, the "system" is still draining the battery. ~ And that is a BAD thing. Especially if you forget. (leave key on in garage etc.)
    Yeah, I agree completely re hitting the Kill Switch and forgetting the key, TRLBLZR1.......and I am bound to forget. I just want to make it part of a routine so that knowing where it is, is automatic. I might actually use the key to power off and then hit the Kill Switch. Not the recommended routine, but it will achieve a purpose. I know from experience with hazard lights on a car, that when you need to use them in a hurry, you can lose precious seconds trying to find the switch, with vehicles bearing down on you from behind

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    It's interesting how everyone's ideas that differ from yours are "gibberish". Road Kill.....I think that pretty much says it all, apart from you obviously feeling that name calling somehow strengthens your opinion.

Pete
    You are correct. I'm not into name calling and wrote that apparently without proofing it enough. Other then using the word "siimpleton" I stand on my arguement.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Habit Forming.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I fully expect that some of you would change your mind after you forget to turn the ignition switch off.......and run your battery down......after using the "kill" switch to stop the engine.
    Of course, that also means that you forgot to take the key OUT of the ignition too.
    When you get into a routine you don't even have to think about it. Muscle memory.
    I hit the engine cutoff switch followed by the key but I don't usually remove the key until I've gotten into my trunk then I use it to lock the rear trunk. I've never left my key on.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I suppose you feel the same about wearing helmets on your Spyder or seat belts in your car?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

Well said Dan!
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are You Serious.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We are among the "simpletons" who check tire psi daily and many times while we're riding! We have TPMS on all of our bikes and it really does give us peace of mind. Every time I feel an odd little squirm, I can assure myself it's not a tire going down. The rest of your post just leaves me in awe regarding both your attitude and your logic......
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default last post on this topic.

This thread is about as informative as reading the graffiti inside a public bathroom. Chow.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This thread is about as informative as reading the graffiti inside a public bathroom. Chow.
    Don't knock it... When I was serving my Collegiate Sentence (A thousand years ago...): that's where I got the best dating tips from!

Spyder Garage

Well it WAS quite informative reading about the different reasons for using the Kill Switch, until you chimed in with your "it won't help you in an accident, you bunch of idiots" monotribe, Road Kill. ...maybe it will get back to being informative now. After all, the idea is to look at all the points of view and determine if some of the actions will be an advantage to the reader....and for me, they are. ........have fun having your dinner (I assume that's what you mean by "Chow").....

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    When you get into a routine you don't even have to think about it. Muscle memory.
    This is the closest I've seen to the reason I was given when I took the MSF course. The instructor taught to use the kill switch routinely, not to prevent any accident, but when you have one it is automatic to shut the engine down quickly instead of having to find the key. If you've been thrown or hit it probably doesn't matter either way, but if you're still with the bike it is a whole lot easier to find that switch next to your hand than fumble for the key. And, in my mind, I want that engine off as soon as possible.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    ........have fun having your dinner (I assume that's what you mean by "Chow").....

Pete
    He's likely eating road kill for dinner
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default no

Never use the stupid thing. Not needed as a Spyder is a roadster not a motorcycle. It will not fall over if you do not turn off the engine quickly.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    He's likely eating road kill for dinner
    51ZIIIV9p6L.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    Never use the stupid thing. Not needed as a Spyder is a roadster not a motorcycle. It will not fall over if you do not turn off the engine quickly.
    But hitting it could keep your 3-wheeled roadster from continuing on down the road if you're thrown from it.. especially if you have your cruise control on. It could stop a run-away-roadster from hitting someone else.

FYI mine is registered as a motorcycle, just like most states also do.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very interesting thread (especially since I'm the OP )!

Based on the responses in the thread, I've started using the Kill Switch to shut the engine off when I'm done riding. Today, I simply turned the key to the OFF position instead, just for the heck of it - and the Spyder started chirping at me for about 10-15 seconds.

My GUESS is that it didn't like that I left it in first gear when shutting it off with the key. (The emergency brake was already set.)

So why does it chirp when shutting off with the key, while it doesn't chirp when I use the kill switch instead? (In both instances, I'm in first gear and the emergency brake is set.)

Thanks!