Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    I've only used mine a couple times, once doing 80 mph on the interstate! bumped it with my drink cup. you'll slow down REAL quick.

that's always a fun time
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Drilled into me by years on a motorcycle - kill switch is right there next to your hand. On some Triumphs, Harleys, Hondas.. the key is not right in front of you but on the fork, or next to the seat, or somewhere. Kill switches are always on the handlebar. In an emergency you don't have to reach for or fumble for the key location especially if you ride different bikes.
    Good explanation, but i don't use mine either, guess i need to though
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

I use it all the time. Let's me get going a little bit quicker after I gas up.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Never used the engine cutoff as a routine and never will unless Can Am says it protects the electrical system. As far as a "safety" feature the cutoff is worthless in an accident. I have investigated HUNDREDS of accidents including many motorcycle accidents. They happen fast and without warning leaving the rider/driver no time to do anything.....other then scream "sh*t". I wonder what people think they are accomplishing by flipping that kill switch? If you can't remember to turn the key to off then you might forget to brake or stop at red lights or chew before you swallow. Maybe Can Am will have people press the Eco to remind them of another useless worthless lawyer inspired lawsuit reducing procedure.

Go ahead and flip that kill switch.....and throw out a boat anchor while your at it, you never know, a tsunami might be heading your way.
    Perhaps an MSF course would be a good thing for you to attend sometime.. they can give you dozens of scenarios where using the kill switch might save you... but it's all the reasons they don't tell you about that really matter.

Every Spyder owner should take an MSF course.... you'll come away with knowledge that just might save your life.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I have not been doing that. Earlier on this forum there was a flurry of posts about failed switches so I wonder if that's Can-Am's way of ensuring it gets cycled often enough to keep it working? I guess I'm willing to give the engineers the benefit of the doubt.
    Meh... 100,000+ miles between my 3 spyders and never a kill switch failure. You probably have a better chance of failure due to non-use and corrosion than you do from over-use.

Spyder Garage

Ok
    So do you follow the MSF T-CLOCK since everyone keeps saying you should take a course!
    I feel this is the one to be adhered to before every Ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post
    Ok
    So do you follow the MSF T-CLOCK since everyone keeps saying you should take a course!
    I feel this is the one to be adhered to before every Ride.
    I keep my Spyder in good shape and give it a good inspection once a month. Not as anal as the T-Clock, but then again I'm not riding an HD... lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why would Can Am put in a kill switch if it wasn't meant to be used? Just like the safety card.. oh wait. nvmd,
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I keep my Spyder in good shape and give it a good inspection once a month. Not as anal as the T-Clock, but then again I'm not riding an HD... lol

Well sorry I'm so anal but have always been that way with all my Bikes. Just resentonaly was coming home from Trip towing my trailer did my usual pre ride inspection and found out my left side trailer lights weren't working. Glad I didn't wait a month. Just sayin!!
    I keep my Spyder in Good working condition also!
    Last edited by ABQSpyder; 06-30-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default I used the kill switch once !

Quote Originally Posted by BitSlayer View Post
    Actually watched a video of a being repo'ed. The guy had the key but could not figure out how to get the thing started. The previous owner just sat back and laughed. They finally figured it out, but it too a while.
    I used the kill switch once. Just to cause my wife some greif trying to figure out how to start the Spyder !!
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    I've only used mine a couple times, once doing 80 mph on the interstate! bumped it with my drink cup. you'll slow down REAL quick.
    I did the. Rey same thing yesterday. Luckily, nobody was behind me.
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

2015 Spyder RT Limited - Perl White
    - Having fun with my knees in the breeze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    I'm sure there are quite a few people out there that have had problems starting their ride because someone flip the kill switch & they never got into the habit of checking it.
    I discovered that my "dismount" technique on the Spyder causes my gut to bump the kill switch to OFF.

It is a tradeoff. Most of the people who have trouble with the switch are the ones who USE it all the time; it wears out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps an MSF course would be a good thing for you to attend sometime.. they can give you dozens of scenarios where using the kill switch might save you... but it's all the reasons they don't tell you about that really matter.

Every Spyder owner should take an MSF course.... you'll come away with knowledge that just might save your life.
    I done both the MSF and Experience Rider Course. Couple that with investigating accidents tells me the "Kill Switch" is not about safety but rather just another means to turn off the engine. Common sense says that the 1-2 seconds before an accident the "kill switch" plays absolutely no assistance in anything, and yes accidents happen that fast.

Another poster to this thread stated they use the kill switch without even thinking about it. This is because they litteraly are doing it as a routine and not because of saftey. We all press the eco button for the same reason....WHO ACTUALLY OPENS THE SIDE PANEL AND READS THE SAFETY CARD? This make pressing the eco and kill switch meaningless to prevent anything. I stand on my previous statement.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I stand on my previous statement.

As is your right.

I NEVER use the kill switch.

BUT getting into the habit of using it CAN save you more than a few seconds getting the engine turned OFF AFTER an accident.

This is more important, I would think, when on 2 wheels since the vast majority of the time your bike ends up on it's side with the engine still running.

If that were to happen to a Spyder, the rider probably wouldn't still be close enough to use EITHER the kill switch or the ignition.

Good habit to get into: maybe.
    Necessary: With a 3 wheeler, not really.

Just jumping on the brakes hard likely will kill the engine anyway.

Spyder Garage

I done both the MSF and Experience Rider Course. Couple that with investigating accidents tells me the "Kill Switch" is not about safety but rather just another means to turn off the engine. Common sense says that the 1-2 seconds before an accident the "kill switch" plays absolutely no assistance in anything, and yes accidents happen that fast.

Another poster to this thread stated they use the kill switch without even thinking about it. This is because they litteraly are doing it as a routine and not because of saftey. We all press the eco button for the same reason....WHO ACTUALLY OPENS THE SIDE PANEL AND READS THE SAFETY CARD? This make pressing the eco and kill switch meaningless to prevent anything. I stand on my previous statement.
    The fact that 1-2 seconds can make all the difference is exactly why the kill switch is a good practice. Why add the few seconds it takes to move your hand off the bar and to the key? Having it programmed into your 'muscle memory' is a good practice.. just like using your turn signals ALL of the time... you program your body to do that before turning or changing lanes.

To each their own, I'll stick with what every MC safety class teaches... which is to use it every time. There simply are not enough good arguments for not using it. It also may be a bit of a theft deterrent. Also not a bad idea to go out and practice on a back road using it while at speed to get a feel of what a total engine cutoff feels like.

To each their own....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    I use it all the time. Let's me get going a little bit quicker after I gas up.
    You betcha!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The fact that 1-2 seconds can make all the difference is exactly why the kill switch is a good practice. Why add the few seconds it takes to move your hand off the bar and to the key? Having it programmed into your 'muscle memory' is a good practice.. just like using your turn signals ALL of the time... you program your body to do that before turning or changing lanes.

To each their own, I'll stick with what every MC safety class teaches... which is to use it every time. There simply are not enough good arguments for not using it. It also may be a bit of a theft deterrent. Also not a bad idea to go out and practice on a back road using it while at speed to get a feel of what a total engine cutoff feels like.

To each their own....
    MC safety classes teach that (in my opinion) because they must adhere to lawyer gibberish to prevent lawsuits. 1-2 seconds of notice prior to impact leaves shutting off the engine pointless. If you have enough time to flip that switch prior to or during an accident then you have enough time to avoid it to begin with. If flipping that switch makes you feel good then do so. If not reading the "safety card" is too time consuming then do so. Nobody I know who has a Spyder actually reads that thing every time they shut off the engine. So press away my friend.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

MC safety classes teach that (in my opinion) because they must adhere to lawyer gibberish to prevent lawsuits. 1-2 seconds of notice prior to impact leaves shutting off the engine pointless. If you have enough time to flip that switch prior to or during an accident then you have enough time to avoid it to begin with. If flipping that switch makes you feel good then do so. If not reading the "safety card" is too time consuming then do so. Nobody I know who has a Spyder actually reads that thing every time they shut off the engine. So press away my friend.

The hole in your theory is that you say the only time you need to shut off your engine is in the case of an accident. There are other emergency conditions besides accidents. Also using the kill switch keeps both hands on the bars.

Ill keep pressing away. I know I have been in an emergency situation and it was second nature to me. Good luck to you should you ever encounter an emergency.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Yep.....Makes sense to me....I'm convinced, Ann......I'll start using the Kill Switch as part of my routine.....

I did actually develop my own Kill Switch at one point. Every time I did a full U turn, the engine died on me, which was a bit dangerous with traffic coming

Turns out it was completely my fault. I had rotated the bars up, which had changed the cable position next to the ignition switch, and when I added Lamont's IPS key cover, the new cable position caught an IPS ridge at full lock, and turned the key off. Frightening as heck the first time it did it, but easy fixed with a bit of repositioning.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Wow another topic that we can beat to death and spin our Wheel's no pun intended. I brought up TCLOCK and it was dismissed but whatever we preach we follow what they taught me in my MSF class . I took a MSF class sponsored by Harley and the other by NAME and advanced skills they really pushed TCLOCK and the value of checking your Ride before every Ride. In today's world is probably a good idea to know were the switch is since your probably either looking at your GPS adjusting the volume on your music are reaching for drink cup Really!
    Last edited by ABQSpyder; 07-01-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default No will not use it

I do not use and do not plan on using it. If I was to worry about my bike catching on fire I would try to rethink my thinking.
    Kenn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    I do not use and do not plan on using it. If I was to worry about my bike catching on fire I would try to rethink my thinking.
    Kenn
    Thats not really the point. The time to think about safety is before something happens not while it is happening.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Thats not really the point.
    No it isn't.
    The point, for me, is:
    On a 3 wheel ride, actually NEEDING the kill switch in some kind of emergency is something that happens so infrequently as to be trivial.
    I certainly wouldn't lose one second of sleep worrying about it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    No it isn't.
    The point, for me, is:
    On a 3 wheel ride, actually NEEDING the kill switch in some kind of emergency is something that happens so infrequently as to be trivial.
    I certainly wouldn't lose one second of sleep worrying about it.
    I also wouldn't lose any sleep worrying about whether I might experience a particular kind of emergency, Easy Rider, but adding a step to my shutdown procedure that will take all of one second, and will enable me to know where my kill switch is subconsciously, with the added bonus of not accidentally flicking it off and wondering briefly why the Spyder won't start, only has upsides for me.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Lets cut this pointless arguement

The "Kill Switch" has absolutely no value other then another means of turning off the bike. It is not a means of accident reduction. It will not assist in anything anywhere at anytime other then giving you a warm fuzzy feeling that you are doing "something". Pressing the "eco" button likewise does absolutely nothing and both are advice given by lawyers to reduce financial loss.

By the time you figure out to shut off your engine after an accident your significant other has already cashed in your life insurance policy and is sitting on a beach drinking pinna coladas. This of course is after you were scraped off the tread of the truck that ran over you.