Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Engine Stop Switch -- Really?

After picking up my new Spyder this afternoon, I've been pouring thru the manual.

I see that it recommends turning off the engine by using the "Engine Stop Switch" rather than simply turning the key and removing it (like you would with a car). I guess my question is whether that extra step (turning off that switch, then having to turn it back on when re-starting the Spyder) is really necessary? Do all of you experienced Spyder Ryders use than switch (on/off) each and every time?

Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, you should use the engine cutoff switch every time you shut your Spyder off. That way in an emergency you won't be searching for it. I was riding down the freeway when my bike went up in flames, the first thing I did was hit the emergency flashers followed by the engine cutoff switch. Also, if you were in an emergency and wanted to quickly shut down the bike if you used the key that would require removing your hand from the handlebars and that could be a bad idea.

Have you taken a motorcycle safety course? If not, you should really think about it as the Spyder is more like a motorcycle than you may think.

Enjoy your new ride.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    After picking up my new Spyder this afternoon, I've been pouring thru the manual. I see that it recommends turning off the engine by using the "Engine Stop Switch" rather than simply turning the key and removing it (like you would with a car). I guess my question is whether that extra step (turning off that switch, then having to turn it back on when re-starting the Spyder) is really necessary? Do all of you experienced Spyder Ryders use than switch (on/off) each and every time?
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I have not been doing that. Earlier on this forum there was a flurry of posts about failed switches so I wonder if that's Can-Am's way of ensuring it gets cycled often enough to keep it working? I guess I'm willing to give the engineers the benefit of the doubt.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Good idea...

If you get in the habit of usingvthe kill switch it becomes second nature and a sure safe way the shut down the machine especially in an emergency...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I admit

that I do not use the kill switch, but use the key. I have never read the reason for using the kill switch this way, and now I think I need to start using it to turn off the Spyder. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Yes, you should use the engine cutoff switch every time you shut your Spyder off. That way in an emergency you won't be searching for it. I was riding down the freeway when my bike went up in flames, the first thing I did was hit the emergency flashers followed by the engine cutoff switch. Also, if you were in an emergency and wanted to quickly shut down the bike if you used the key that would require removing your hand from the handlebars and that could be a bad idea.

Have you taken a motorcycle safety course? If not, you should really think about it as the Spyder is more like a motorcycle than you may think.

Enjoy your new ride.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    That makes sense. Duh.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I remember there being a thread on here a while back about the kill switch. Some people were quite set on not using the kill switch because it is not necessary to do.

Of course it isn't necessary to use but it's a good idea to become familiar with it. Regardless if you use it or not, it's a good idea to check it before starting your trike.

When I had the motorcycle safety course they said to turn off the bike with the kill switch & then turn off the key.

I'm sure there are quite a few people out there that have had problems starting their ride because someone flip the kill switch & they never got into the habit of checking it.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for your thoughts on this, guys. I'll have to get into the habit of using it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post

I'm sure there are quite a few people out there that have had problems starting their ride because someone flip the kill switch & they never got into the habit of checking it.
    Hahaha......yep......that would be ME, Steve.

So to save me getting my manual out, it's a case of Park Brake On, hit Kill Switch, turn Ignition Key off ?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Hahaha......yep......that would be ME, Steve.

So to save me getting my manual out, it's a case of Park Brake On, hit Kill Switch, turn Ignition Key off ?

Pete
    Yep. Don't forget to pocket the key too. Starting is insert key, kill switch, foot on brake, turn key on, wait for the gauges to start their sweep, push the mode button and then the start button. It's the Canadian version of a Chinese puzzle. I've found pushing the mode button before the gauges sweep doesn't work. Happy Ryding!

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Foam Grips
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son

Spyder Garage

Yep.....that's the way I shut down my Indian

Spyder Garage

If you are going to use the kill swith to shut the bike off, please remember to also turn the key off. I worked several years in a Harley shop and the porters who were MSF trained to use the kill switch, did. However, they would forget to turn the key off and we had more dead batteries than you could shake a stick at! For that reason I don't use the kill switch.. I would probably forget to turn the key off.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't use the kill switch either. I have seen too many of them fail and you wind up with a dead ride. One reason is use - there are only a set number of times you can use it before the contacts and little springy thingies inside fail and the kill switch is right there on top of the handlebar where it gets all manner of dirt and water which is always a bad combination for switches.

If mine fails I would much rather it fail ON than OFF. I am not worried about killing the engine in an emergency.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Drilled into me by years on a motorcycle - kill switch is right there next to your hand. On some Triumphs, Harleys, Hondas.. the key is not right in front of you but on the fork, or next to the seat, or somewhere. Kill switches are always on the handlebar. In an emergency you don't have to reach for or fumble for the key location especially if you ride different bikes.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I don't use the kill switch either. I have seen too many of them fail and you wind up with a dead ride. One reason is use - there are only a set number of times you can use it before the contacts and little springy thingies inside fail and the kill switch is right there on top of the handlebar where it gets all manner of dirt and water which is always a bad combination for switches.

If mine fails I would much rather it fail ON than OFF. I am not worried about killing the engine in an emergency.
    I use mine every time I start and shut it off and I've got 118,000 miles on my bike and it hasn't failed me yet. And it sure didn't fail me on my 13 when I was on fire. What exactly is that "set number of times you can use it"? If I haven't hit that number yet it is pretty likely that the rest of you won't ever hit it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I use mine all the time. It's like second nature.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I prefer the kill switch over the MODE button

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I use mine all the time. It's like second nature.
    +1!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Never used the engine cutoff as a routine and never will unless Can Am says it protects the electrical system. As far as a "safety" feature the cutoff is worthless in an accident. I have investigated HUNDREDS of accidents including many motorcycle accidents. They happen fast and without warning leaving the rider/driver no time to do anything.....other then scream "sh*t". I wonder what people think they are accomplishing by flipping that kill switch? If you can't remember to turn the key to off then you might forget to brake or stop at red lights or chew before you swallow. Maybe Can Am will have people press the Eco to remind them of another useless worthless lawyer inspired lawsuit reducing procedure.

Go ahead and flip that kill switch.....and throw out a boat anchor while your at it, you never know, a tsunami might be heading your way.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Kill switch? I will cycle the switch several times as part of my periodic maintenance but won't use it to kill the motor every day (several times). Forgetting to turn off the key would be a problem if I did . If you want to add an extra level of security it's good, tho. The complex procedure to start and run the bike itself is a great anti-theft device and the extra step of the kill will add one more.
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Kill switch? I will cycle the switch several times as part of my periodic maintenance but won't use it to kill the motor every day (several times). Forgetting to turn off the key would be a problem if I did . If you want to add an extra level of security it's good, tho. The complex procedure to start and run the bike itself is a great anti-theft device and the extra step of the kill will add one more.
    Actually watched a video of a being repo'ed. The guy had the key but could not figure out how to get the thing started. The previous owner just sat back and laughed. They finally figured it out, but it too a while.
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

2015 Spyder RT Limited - Perl White
    - Having fun with my knees in the breeze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    If you want to add an extra level of security it's good, tho. The complex procedure to start and run the bike itself is a great anti-theft device and the extra step of the kill will add one more.

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Foam Grips
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son

Spyder Garage

Great stuff. More things to ponder for me. Many pros and cons. Currently, I am not using the switch.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default kill switch

old time rider (82) .long time rider and bike wrench for 20 plus years. hate

to work on electrics always worry about that switch failing therefore i dont

use it. its there if you want to use it. see yea, ike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've only used mine a couple times, once doing 80 mph on the interstate! bumped it with my drink cup. you'll slow down REAL quick.