Thread: Heat-sink paste

Spyder Garage

Default Heat-sink paste

The Spyder shop manual calls for heat-sink paste to be applied to new spark plugs. Some Spyder dealers seem to be ignoring this requirement and their parts departments don't stock the stuff.

Are you using heat-sink paste?

Spyder Garage

Dealers that do not use the paste are not following the Service Manual procedure, which calls for the application of P12 heat-sink paste (P/N 420897186).
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    The Spyder shop manual calls for heat-sink paste to be applied to new spark plugs. Some Spyder dealers seem to be ignoring this requirement and their parts departments don't stock the stuff.

Are you using heat-sink paste?
    Its supposed to help dissipate the heat from the sparkplug

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Dealers that do not use the paste are not following the Service Manual procedure, which calls for the application of P12 heat-sink paste (P/N 420897186).
    -Scotty
    Scotty: Do you use this - yourself?

There are a number of things in the maintenance schedule and shop manual that I choose not to do. I don't know if heat-paste will be one of them. It would be helpful to know what the consensus is in the Spyder community.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    Scotty: Do you use this - yourself?

There are a number of things in the maintenance schedule and shop manual that I choose not to do. I don't know if heat-paste will be one of them. It would be helpful to know what the consensus is in the Spyder community.
    I have not had to change plugs in the Spyder yet, but I will use the paste. There is usually a good engineering reason for specifying things like this. Most stem from problems discovered during prototype testing. On some engines a heat-sink paste or anti-seize compund also keeps the plugs from seizing in the alloy heads. I will do whatever BRP requires as long as the Spyder remains under warranty, even if I think it is overkill.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

I have not had to change plugs in the Spyder yet, but I will use the paste. There is usually a good engineering reason for specifying things like this. Most stem from problems discovered during prototype testing. On some engines a heat-sink paste or anti-seize compund also keeps the plugs from seizing in the alloy heads. I will do whatever BRP requires as long as the Spyder remains under warranty, even if I think it is overkill.
    -Scotty
    Aren't most anti-sieze compounds high in metal content and are going to behave like a heat sink compound anyway?.......Is there any difference

Just trying to avoid having to buy the BRP stuff.
    A member of the rabble in good standing.
    A happy owner of a yellow SE-5.
    NMN Risers, Mudflap Lights, Fender Tips, Center Brake Light w/ Triple Play, Throttlemeister, Madstad Robo-brackets, Madstad windshield, CHAD windshield, Canisterectomy, Exhaust wrap.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Latemarch View Post
    Aren't most anti-sieze compounds high in metal content and are going to behave like a heat sink compound anyway?.......Is there any difference

Just trying to avoid having to buy the BRP stuff.
    That would be my guess, but there are other considerations. A metallic compound can increase or even cause electrolysis. I think it is better to go with what the manufacturer uses, and has tested. Not sure of the cost of the BRP stuff, but one tube or jar should last you a lifetime.
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Smile

What is the difference between heat sink and high temp anti-sieze paste. I have used anti-sieze for years in aluminium heads with no trouble. The BRP stuff must be expensive, I'm sure.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
    What is the difference between heat sink and high temp anti-sieze paste. I have used anti-sieze for years in aluminium heads with no trouble. The BRP stuff must be expensive, I'm sure.
    Use the heat sink paste. Your sparkplugs will love you for it. It will help your sparkplugs last longer. Its about dispersing the heat. A tube will last a life time. BRP thinks its important enough to make it part of the mandatory tools to be a dealer.
    Quality, Service, Price. Choose two.

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Your still not telling me why. Anti-sieze is hi heat grease (paste) and I would think the same product that BRP sells but is already in my garage. Plugs that are made of steel and are in aluminium heads need it to ward off corrosion I thought and I have used anti-sieze for as long as I can remember so what or how can BRP paste do anything different. Where can the heat be disapated to.

Spyder Garage

OK, tracked this stuff down.

The heat sink paste is made by Wacker Chemie AG and is otherwise known as Wacker Silicone Heat Sink Paste P12

This same stuff is also specified for all Rotax aircraft engines.
    It's also commonly used by Electronics manufactuers as a heat sink paste.

It's a pure silicone grease (polysiloxone) with suspended ceramic particles (most likely zinc oxide though they're not giving away that information). Thus it is chemically neutral and does not conduct electricity. It is used specifically to better transfer heat from the plug to the head by filling the gaps in the theads and providing a larger contact patch to conduct heat.

It is not the same as an anti-sieze compound, most of which are made of various metal compounds in a petroleum based grease. They are designed to allow the grease to vaporize and leave behind the lubricating metal compounds.

I guess I'm going to have to break down and order a tube from my dealer though Radio Shack's Heat Sink Grease is also pure silicone with Zink Oxide but who knows how the formulations might differ.......still in a pinch it would probably work.
    A member of the rabble in good standing.
    A happy owner of a yellow SE-5.
    NMN Risers, Mudflap Lights, Fender Tips, Center Brake Light w/ Triple Play, Throttlemeister, Madstad Robo-brackets, Madstad windshield, CHAD windshield, Canisterectomy, Exhaust wrap.

Spyder Garage

All my years of changing plugs this is the first I've heard of using paste.Not that your going to change plugs to often on the Spyder I suspect but would there be any noticeable difference if not used?Snowmobiles have aluminum heads as well and BRP has never mentioned any procedure for them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Latemarch View Post
    OK, tracked this stuff down.

The heat sink paste is made by Wacker Chemie AG and is otherwise known as Wacker Silicone Heat Sink Paste P12

This same stuff is also specified for all Rotax aircraft engines.
    It's also commonly used by Electronics manufactuers as a heat sink paste.

It's a pure silicone grease (polysiloxone) with suspended ceramic particles (most likely zinc oxide though they're not giving away that information). Thus it is chemically neutral and does not conduct electricity. It is used specifically to better transfer heat from the plug to the head by filling the gaps in the theads and providing a larger contact patch to conduct heat.

It is not the same as an anti-sieze compound, most of which are made of various metal compounds in a petroleum based grease. They are designed to allow the grease to vaporize and leave behind the lubricating metal compounds.

I guess I'm going to have to break down and order a tube from my dealer though Radio Shack's Heat Sink Grease is also pure silicone with Zink Oxide but who knows how the formulations might differ.......still in a pinch it would probably work.
    If it does not conduct electricity, it would seem that it would interfere with the firing of the plugs???? Don't they get grounded through the base????

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It's going to fill the gaps between the threads for heat transfer. The threads are going to make contact anyway.
    Quality, Service, Price. Choose two.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've used the white heat sink paste, on actual heat sinks, for years in the electronics industry. Any of the silicone based, white pastes, should do the job.

Retired engineer - thought this stuff was behind me - never would have to think about it again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikester View Post
    Retired engineer - thought this stuff was behind me - never would have to think about it again.
    You didn't retire...you just started working on your own stuff instead of your employer's. We've seen your handywork.
    -Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

You didn't retire...you just started working on your own stuff instead of your employer's. We've seen your handywork.
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I guess I'll have to say also and it sure is a lot more fun