Spyder Garage

Default cell phone hookup

OK I have gone from my Goldwing to the RT, not to get into all the debates as to why I need to I would like to know if anyone has their cell phones hooked up on the bike to talk and receive calls while riding. I know J&M used to make a system but has discontinued it and Sena makes a system for the Goldwing but don't know if there is one for the Spyder, I have the CB on the bike along with the GPS mounted on handlebars (from Dealer) and need to have the phone hooked in also.
    Please lets keep this to just information on installation and not the right and wrong on using the phone while riding

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My Cell phone connects to my Sena 20S and i have a usb for power under the handlebars.
    my cell also connects to the gps throught the sena 20s
    it's all bluetooth connections no hardwaire

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Most of us use RAM X-Grips to hold the phone on the handlebars, and Providence (one of our sponsors) makes a RAM mount that can attach a ball to the handlebars. Providence and JT (again these are site sponsors) make power plug and USB adapters that can be mounted in a couple of places.

I think the consensus here is generally SENA, although some use Cardo. If you search on this website you'll find people who use the SENA headsets as well as the SM10 unit (I've never seen the use for this one).

Once you choose, let us know!
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapeSpyder View Post
    My Cell phone connects to my Sena 20S and i have a usb for power under the handlebars.
    my cell also connects to the gps throught the sena 20s
    it's all bluetooth connections no hardwaire
    Great way to go.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I have my iPhone connected to the power cord in the trunk and paired to my Sena SMH10. It works fine for answering calls -- if I want to do so.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I did figure the Sena 20 system was going to be the way to go but didn't know if the unit plugged into the headset plug with the cardo system on the can am. I have J&M headsets in the helmet but will take them out and install Sena system as long as I can still us the CB while riding with friends. I don't use the Cell phone very often but need to be able to answer call while riding (even if I have to pull over to do so).
    I know they made the Cardo system for the Harley and Goldwing and figured they also did for the Can Am seeing as so many are trading to this bike (:

Spyder Garage

Since you have the BRP CB and wired helmets, this is what you need.
    BRP Cell Phone Interface.

https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/shop/a...face-kit0.html

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I use the Uclear HBC200 to connect (bluetooth) to my wife who sits behind me. My phone is also paired to it for Google maps, my music, XM Radio or IHeart Radio thru their apps. It will also connect to a group of other riders, although I have not tried that yet. Their latest units use Bluetooth 4.2 and will connect up to 20 riders. They use advanced technology with a boomless mike. They have an app for your phone that will lead you thru the process to connect other riders, do firmware updates, and give you all the contents of the owners manual on your phone.

https://ucleardigital.com/product-ca...th/motorcycle/

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Bob
    I was about to endorse this as the likely ONLY solution that would give you both CB and the ability to talk on the phone.......but the description for it lists the stock Zumo GPS as a requirement.

I'm not sure that ANY "standard" set of equipment will give you BOTH two-way CB and two-way phone in your helmet headset.....at the same time.

I am about to try and connect my phone via the AUX input so I can use it to play music stored in it AND to use it to hear the GPS instructions......but that won't give me talk capability for the phone. I assume that CB use will cut the AUX input off like it does for the radio but not even sure about that yet.

I strongly suspect that you "can't have it all"; at least not all together at the same time.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cgroh360 View Post
    but will take them out and install Sena system as long as I can still us the CB while riding with friends. I don't use the Cell phone very often but need to be able to answer call while riding (even if I have to pull over to do so).
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I was about to endorse this as the likely ONLY solution that would give you both CB and the ability to talk on the phone.......but the description for it lists the stock Zumo GPS as a requirement.

I'm not sure that ANY "standard" set of equipment will give you BOTH two-way CB and two-way phone in your helmet headset.....at the same time.
    The cell phone interface connects to a mic input of the GPS and the phone BT pairs with the GPS.

So far no one has come up with an interface that allows BT headsets to be connected to the BRP CB. There is one system out there that replaces the wired headset with a BT connection for HD m/c's but I don't believe it's been adapted for the Spyder.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

I am about to try and connect my phone via the AUX input so I can use it to play music stored in it AND to use it to hear the GPS instructions......but that won't give me talk capability for the phone. I assume that CB use will cut the AUX input off like it does for the radio but not even sure about that yet.

I strongly suspect that you "can't have it all"; at least not all together at the same time.
    I assumed in your statement you had the GPS?

I have the CB on the bike along with the GPS mounted on handlebars (from Dealer) and need to have the phone hooked in also.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Use GPS

I Blue tooth the cell phone to the GPS. It announces loud enough to hear over the road noise. And I blue tooth the GPS to my Scala Q1 so I can hear in helmet if I want. My wife says that when I do that she can't tell that I'm hurtling down the road at 80 mph.
    2016 RTL , Stock Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I assumed in your statement you had the GPS?
    CRAP. Looks like he does.
    Sorry for the mis-direction.

Spyder Garage

Bob
    I have one of those available. I'd send it to you for the cost of the postage.
    I have to tell you though, I've done the wired systems and now the bluetooth.
    Bluetooth is definitely the way to go.
    I overwhelmingly endorse the wireless systems, even though I fought it for years.
    I converted, that's why I have the cell phone interface available.
    Let me know.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 06-29-2017 at 09:23 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I have my iPhone connected to the power cord in the trunk and paired to my Sena SMH10. It works fine for answering calls -- if I want to do so.
    I use the same system, I plug my phone into the power and audio ports in the rear trunk. I have the Sena as mentioned above, I play music on the phone through the audio speakers on the bike and make or receive calls on my helmet.

Also, you may not be aware of it, and there are plenty of posts on here, but you should disconnect the temperature and fuel guages on the dash. I replaced one with a voltage guage and the other with a dual USB port. When you do this you will then get digital temp and fuel guages on the center screen that are HUGELY more accurate.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I have one of those available. I'd send it to you for the cost of the postage.
    I have to tell you though, I've done the wired systems and now the bluetooth.
    Bluetooth is definitely the way to go.
    I overwhelmingly endorse the wireless systems, even though I fought it for years.
    I converted, that's why I have the cell phone interface available.
    Let me know.
    Do you do group riding? If so, how do you manage communications with half dozen or more other riders? As I see it, and understand things, that's the one area that CB still has BT beat to hell.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes

Yes almost everybody uses their phone on their Spider.
    Should you wish to change over to all Bluetooth give me a call
    I can be of help in making that happen for you if you just give me a call.
    This is motorcycle Dave,, you can catch me at motorcycle Dave.com, I have everything you need in stock to make it happen call today 209-887-3283
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by cgroh360 View Post
    OK I have gone from my Goldwing to the RT, not to get into all the debates as to why I need to I would like to know if anyone has their cell phones hooked up on the bike to talk and receive calls while riding. I know J&M used to make a system but has discontinued it and Sena makes a system for the Goldwing but don't know if there is one for the Spyder, I have the CB on the bike along with the GPS mounted on handlebars (from Dealer) and need to have the phone hooked in also.
    Please lets keep this to just information on installation and not the right and wrong on using the phone while riding
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 06-29-2017 at 11:13 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    but you should disconnect the temperature and fuel guages on the dash.
    I understand that some people think that is "necessary"......but not all.
    I see absolutely no real reason to replace either.
    Both seem plenty accurate enough AND I really can't make out most of the stuff on the display without glasses......which I do not wear when riding.

I think I should NOT do that; probably others too.

Spyder Garage

Sena make a plug and play unit for the Goldwing that allows that audio system to be Bluetooth. It's called Freewire. Don't know if they make one for the Spyder (yet). Just today my wife and I installed Sena 20S in our helmets, her Goldwing and my Spyder. She also has the Freewire which will allow her to hear and talk to others on the CB and to hear and talk to me via Bluetooth. I just refused to spend a grand having the Spyder CB installed after researching and finding all the negative feedback about it's performance. I found out that Sena makes a device that will plug into my Midland hand held CB that makes that Bluetooth enabled. My next step is to see if I can work out the details to get me back talking with my CB buddies. Meanwhile, I can use my wife as a go-between if need be. The Sena system supports cell phone and a bunch of other neat stuff.
    Last edited by canamjhb; 06-30-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I found out that Sena makes a device that will plug into my Midland hand held CB that makes that Bluetooth enabled. My next step is to see if I can work out the details to get me back talking with my CB buddies. Meanwhile, I can use my wife as a go-between if need be. The Sena system supports cell phone and a bunch of other neat stuff.
    It works, but not without issues. My nephew used the Sena system and a 12 year old Midland CB to communicate with me on our way to Homecoming. He has a 2010 RT A&C and I have a 2014 RTS with the BRP CB. He had the CB mounted in the rear trunk.

First problem. He could not connect the CB into the aux power port because when he did there was way too much noise introduced into the CB signal making it really hard to hear and understand him. We had to power the Midland with its own batteries, which did last about two days.

Second problem was sound volume. When he connected via the Sena to his Scala headset the audio volume from the Midland was reduced quite a bit making it hard for him to hear me.

Third problem was distance. We could not communicate at all when we got separated by more than about 1/4 mile. How much of that was caused by lower power from the handheld, or by being in the trunk, or a combination of the two, I don't know.

When I'm riding with my Goldwing group there have been no problems communicating with the others. Personally, I find the BRP CB to be quite satisfactory. I have had problems, but I now think a defective lower cord may have been the source. Search for my posts about it. As for the price of the BRP CB, it's not much more than the Goldwing CB.

2014 Copper RTS