Spyder Garage

Default have 75 mi. total and already broke the RH water deflector plastic piece ..!

So disappointed in the cheap plastic parts used on this machine. I accidentally kicked the plastic water deflector and it broke two plastic mounting brackets that help secure it along the bottom of it. Now I need to track down the part and purchase a new one. I don't even have 100 mi. on this machine yet ..!
    Rant over, I apologize, just frustrated I guess ..!

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow - I'd still ask the dealer. Perhaps the item was poorly installed or defective.

If you are a do-it-yourself-er, you might try www.cheapcycleparts.com or a similar website.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

In your profile does not say what Spyder you have and what year. If it is brand new, with just 100 miles on it, this maybe covered under the warranty.

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

Cheapcycleparts.com. I get all my parts there and at a much better price and they have them in stock. Must have been a swift kick or you just hit it right....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default IT'S AN ?????

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    In your profile does not say what Spyder you have and what year. If it is brand new, with just 100 miles on it, this maybe covered under the warranty.
    ............. BUT I'm 99 % sure it's an RT .......... I made steel inserts for that part so I could use them as Highway peg / foot rests ........ I can stand on mine .............. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ............. BUT I'm 99 % sure it's an RT .......... I made steel inserts for that part so I could use them as Highway peg / foot rests ........ I can stand on mine .............. Mike
    That's what I need to do ...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-15-2020 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Removed OP's inadvertent hard return in middle of word...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the poster has an RT. Had my F3 2 years and have not managed to kick and break any parts yet. Water deflector is design to resist water not kicks. Not sure if "cheap plastic parts apply here".

Spyder Garage

Default i see you are

Quote Originally Posted by Dmetcalf View Post
    That's what I ne
    ed to do ...
    hahaha I see you are from texas , did you have your cowboy boots on at the time you kicked the splash trim ? { it is a good looking black }

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear that you're off to an inauspicious start in this relationship...
    Hang in there: it'll all get better!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    hahaha I see you are from texas , did you have your cowboy boots on at the time you kicked the splash trim ? { it is a good looking black }
    Yeap, I sure did to be truthful ..! Now I need to replace it, dang it ..!

Spyder Garage

Default Stop buying parts online SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL DEALER!!!

While parts maybe cheaper online, I suggest going to your local Spyder dealer for parts THEY NEED YOUR BUSINESS!!! There are a lot of people complaining on other threads about there dealer went out of business. As more, and more people shop online this could put more Spyder dealers out of business .

In a dealership you can look at it like a pie that has 3 pieces parts, sales, & service. If your parts sales start going down because of people not supporting you in your own community by buying online, it causes dealerships to make up the loss in revenue in other "pie" areas like raising the shop rate that you pay in service, and so on...

When you go to your local dealer to buy your parts instead of the internet you establish yourself to that dealer as a GOOD customer supporting the dealership! Over time that will pay off weather its a discount or just knowing your helping a company in your local area.

A lot of threads complaining about bad service on there Spyders. When dealerships aren't making money in all of the "pie" mentioned above they don't have the revenue to always pay top dollar for the better techs.

I could go on, and on, and on...

As you probably might have wondered I do own a dealership in another industry, and people just don't see how we are struggling! For me its not even just the internet, I have to deal with box stores. Wait till some box store starts dabbling into power sports, like Gander Mountain that was attempting to sell Arctic Cat, and Cabelas trying to get in on the action (Kawasaki) NOT GOOD .

In your case if you just bought it, your dealer might just feel bad that you broke it already, and give you a discount on the part .

Well those are just some of my brain waves for this subject.
    Last edited by JAS POWER; 06-28-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I understand what your saying but if you can save 20% to 40% online then at least I will be making the online choice. I don't mind buying at dealerships but I do mind the large markups.

Spyder Garage

Default Exactly whats wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I understand what your saying but if you can save 20% to 40% online then at least I will be making the online choice. I don't mind buying at dealerships but I do mind the large markups.
    What are you going to do when your broke down on a trip and the local dealers closed up because all you care about is saving money at the moment. Wait for your drone to come from Amazon (or whatever)??? This is exactly what is KILLING dealers .

I get what your saying as most people aren't rich, but the world is going to suck when all the local small stores close up and all we have are the same old box stores, & waiting for online orders. It isn't going to help let along get you rolling again when you have an emergency and can't wait.

Your talking about 20% to 40% savings I hate to break this to the public but, thats about average dealer discount when they purchase from Can-Am or Honda (AS A DEALER) (I'm talking about OEM parts not aftermarket like WPS, or Parts Unlimited) we aren't marking the price up 100-200% trying to make a killing on you. Its real easy If I buy a part from Honda as a dealer say list price is $10 my dealer cost is $6.00 my mark up or profit is $4.00 (40%)!!! Some dealer discounts that I deal with are as low as list price minus 15%, yes that terrible. I no some dealers set up there computer systems to up the price 10% (or higher) over list price across the board, its very easy to do with todays dealer software. Its just not many do that to stay competitive.

My point is WE NEED PROFIT to keep the brick, & mortar business going, & all the employees happily employed. Without the help from local people its VERY hard to do that when most buy online.

Spyder's are so pricy as it is, dealers aren't selling them like hot cakes. If they aren't selling parts either how long till they just say enough is enough and just stop caring the Spyder line. No return on a HUGE investment equals no more selling that product, no matter how much you may like it.

When enough dealers are not buying Spyders or they are not buying enough Spyders, Can-Am may just stop building them all together. I could honestly probably say they are possibly questioning the line now, from them changing to adopt the cruiser (Harley style) market type Spyder, & only the Touring model.

I can only speculate, but they are fishing for a crowd that hasn't completely gotten hooked other than the up there in age crowd that wants the touring model, or simply just don't want to ride a 2 wheeler (or can't). My local dealer told me two years ago when I was shopping that the reason they don't carry the RS and only a FEW RT's is the RS's don't sell good, to pricy for the younger crowd that is more attracted to the sport style. The RT sells to the older crowd, but they don't sell a ton.

I just hate to see the Spyder go away, and I feel a lot has to do with just local dealer support or LACK OF

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just cant force myself to pay 20% or more plus tax for an item I can get cheaper online with no tax and usually no shipping. Mom and Pop stores have be closing for decades. Its the wave of the future. Hell you can even purchase a Spyder online and have it shipped to you. As far as mechanics I guess I would not purchase or own one if there were no one to work on them and that would be true for any vehicle or product I would think about purchasing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Mike - would you happen to have any pictures of that modification, what you did and what you used?
    2015 RT-S SE6 Red Pearl - aka "Ruby"
    Tri-Axis handlebars - Bajaron Sway Bar and Heim Links - Roadster Renovations Spring Stiffeners & Top Case mirror - Value Accessories 3 pc. Lid Net Set - Lidlox Helmet Holders - JT's Dash Mount Bar - Drink2go rider & passenger cupholder - Wolo Bad Boy Horn - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - 12V power & heated gear ports - Spyderpops missing belt guard - BRP Trailer Hitch - Gold Plug hex head drain plugs

Spyder Garage

Default TAX

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Just cant force myself to pay 20% or more plus tax for an item I can get cheaper online with no tax and usually no shipping. Mom and Pop stores have be closing for decades. Its the wave of the future. Hell you can even purchase a Spyder online and have it shipped to you. As far as mechanics I guess I would not purchase or own one if there were no one to work on them and that would be true for any vehicle or product I would think about purchasing.

I'm saying no more.

I will just..

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default STEEL - INSERT FOR SPLASH GUARD

Quote Originally Posted by pontow View Post
    Mike - would you happen to have any pictures of that modification, what you did and what you used?
    Dale: Sorry no pics but they wouldn't help much anyway if you were thinking of making them ...... just look at the outside, see the way the top part curves up ( f to b ), well I took the piece off and ( look at a Fiche' ) ... the part has two pieces ... I removed the front half ..... I took a piece of 1/8 X 1 or 1 1/8 wide flat stock and just bent it to fit in the upper curve....I had to also taper it to fit like the OEM piece .... I then welded a piece of flat stock at 90 * with two holes to match the OEM mounting holes for the frame..... Wasn't that difficult .... if I was going to re-produce a lot of them I would have made a wood buck for fitting purposes ........ Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-28-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JAS POWER View Post
    While parts maybe cheaper online, I suggest going to your local Spyder dealer for parts THEY NEED YOUR BUSINESS!!! There are a lot of people complaining on other threads about there dealer went out of business. As more, and more people shop online this could put more Spyder dealers out of business .
    Well said. The exception of course is after-market parts, but for service and OEM replacements I try to support my local store (Weller Recreation in Kamas, Utah - great people!).
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Support your local dealer - or quit bitching when they go out of business!

Quote Originally Posted by JAS POWER View Post
    What are you going to do when your broke down on a trip and the local dealers closed up because all you care about is saving money at the moment. Wait for your drone to come from Amazon (or whatever)??? This is exactly what is KILLING dealers .

Spyder's are so pricy as it is, dealers aren't selling them like hot cakes. If they aren't selling parts either how long till they just say enough is enough and just stop caring the Spyder line. No return on a HUGE investment equals no more selling that product, no matter how much you may like it.

I just hate to see the Spyder go away, and I feel a lot has to do with just local dealer support or LACK OF
    And I would just add;

WTF are you thinking, buying a $25k+ machine and then trying to save money (nickels and dimes) on parts and service? Get real, folks. People who buy high-end Harleys, Gold Wings, BMW's and the like don't go cheap when it comes to after-purchase expenses. Not if they value their investment, they don't.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Well said. The exception of course is after-market parts, but for service and OEM replacements I try to support my local store (Weller Recreation in Kamas, Utah - great people!).

for supporting Weller Recreation

You are correct there is no better fit than a GENUINE OEM part no matter what the cost

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dmetcalf View Post
    So disappointed in the cheap plastic parts used on this machine. I accidentally kicked the plastic water deflector and it broke two plastic mounting brackets that help secure it along the bottom of it.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm forever spilling my beer on the carpet because of the cheap-ass brewers who won't make self-righting bottles. Jeez, what is the world coming to?
    2014 RTL Platinum