Active Member CarolinaSpyderRyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well, I'm still doing dumb things

Had a great weekend in East Tennessee. On my way home however, in the actual county in which I live, I got pulled over and cited for 67 in a 50.IMG_20170624_165409500.jpgIMG_20170624_185421337.jpgIMG_20170624_185723854_HDR.jpgIMG_20170624_185701853_HDR.jpgIMG_20170624_193109593_HDR.jpg
    2014 RSS , Sunburst Yellow and Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow, awesome places.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Looks like you were in a very scenic, and relaxing place, where you might forget the speed at which you are going. Very nice picture of the spyder in front of the curve. Since I read where many riders say they can double the speed limit for a curve, I have to ask, was there a speed limit for that curve, and did you double it?

Spyder Garage

Default As a mater of fact...

at least doubled the speed limit for that curve (not mentioning any numbers) I did see a sign or 2 up there that said 15 MPH.IMG_20170624_194649569.jpg

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaSpyderRyder View Post
    at least doubled the speed limit for that curve (not mentioning any numbers) I did see a sign or 2 up there that said 15 MPH.IMG_20170624_194649569.jpg
    Those speed signs are just recommendations anyway.😉
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default Easy to do....

Looks like a great trip from the views posted... bummer about the speeding though around here they don't tend to bother us cause the crotch rockets are doning way so much more....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Yes, it is beautiful up there. So many roads to ride with great scenery. And so many places for cops to hide. Guess we missed each other up there.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SIGNS

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Those speed signs are just recommendations anyway.😉
    ......, Those signs are yellow .... they are caution , warning , recommended Max etc ....... by Law speed limit signs must be white and say Speed Limit .................. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But if you happen to have an accident near one of those signs, and they can use "speed not reasonable or prudent for the driving conditions", for writing a summons: then the sign will be more than just mentioned in Court...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default speed limit

If the LEO used RADAR to clock you, you can get a court order for the LEOs to release the RADAR speed limit. It's set by averaging actual driver speed, not statute. It's usually quite a bit higher that the posted limit (at least in California)

Spyder Garage

Beautiful pictures. Easy to get distracted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Nice pics Carolina!

I always enjoy the pics of the mountains and twisties no matter where they are.

Couple of weeks ago, I was daydreaming and got pulled over by a local LEO for 43 in town as the speed had changed to 35 mph. My wife was following on her ride and the officer was quick to mention that she could go... HES the one I'm after. She still reminds me about that. The officer also asked about our SENA's implying I guess that even if I missed the speed limit change, my wife could have warned me which she usually does. He left me off with a warning as I quess he felt I would be chastised and reminded to slow it down ENOUGH!
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default Above the Limit

Had a great weekend in East Tennessee. On my way home however, in the actual county in which I live, I got pulled over and cited for 67 in a 50.IMG_20170624_165409500.jpgIMG_20170624_185421337.jpgIMG_20170624_185723854_HDR.jpgIMG_20170624_185701853_HDR.jpgIMG_20170624_193109593_HDR.jpg
    Some years ago, I was stationed at Naval Air Station Oceana, Virginia Beach. I had a townhouse which I shared with another, and one weekend, he decided to return home to Philadelphia. On the way back, he was cited for doing 110 in a 35, over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. He had to make it back in time to commence work at 0700 on Monday. I understand that the fine was hefty.
    Additionally years ago, I was riding a then new 1977 Honda Gold Wing from East Boston through New York, into Canada, back into Michigan. This was at the time of the federally mandated 55 mph top speed in the States. You can imagine my elation at seeing posted speed limit signs which read, 60, then 80, and finally, 100. So I cranked it up to 100 eventually, and held it there. But it wasn't until later that I found that the speed limits were in kilometers per hour, vice miles per hour.......
    Today, I am more in tune with the posted speed limits, and find that the speed limit (80) on I-84, is fast enough for me. I've never been told, what the "all day cruising speed" of the two cylinder 998cc, Spyder is. How fast, CAN one go all day long on the highway without straining the engine?

Spyder Garage

Default I'm not sure how much "strain" youre talking about

The peak of the torque curve is about 5000 RPM. Which is about 70 MPH in fifth gear. Above this point, gas mileage suffers a bit. I will say, I've had it up toward the red line, and it doesn't seem to mind riding there at all. As far as all day goes, I wish I had the opportunity to test it out and see... but 17 MPH over the limit will apparently get me into trouble, so if I say it'll do 87 all day, I'm asking for trouble I guess, but it probably will. .

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilderThomas View Post
    I've never been told, what the "all day cruising speed" of the two cylinder 998cc, Spyder is. How fast, CAN one go all day long on the highway without straining the engine?
    Anything under the redline. When I had my 2013 RT I rode it hour after hour at 80+.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Quote Originally Posted by CA Railwhale View Post
    If the LEO used RADAR to clock you, you can get a court order for the LEOs to release the RADAR speed limit. It's set by averaging actual driver speed, not statute. It's usually quite a bit higher that the posted limit (at least in California)
    Friend that is not how RADAR works ..... and there aren't different versions in Calif., they all work the SAME ..... I ran Radar for decades and the LEO can set the unit to LOCK-ON at OR ABOVE a specific speed ..... however the target vehicle MUST ACHIEVE THAT SPEED.....OR ABOVE IT...... This is a brief explanation, .................. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default EXPLANATION

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1273611]Friend that is not how RADAR works ..... and there aren't different versions in Calif., they all work the SAME ..... I ran Radar for decades and the LEO can set the unit to LOCK-ON at OR ABOVE a specific speed ..... however the target vehicle MUST ACHIEVE THAT SPEED.....OR ABOVE IT...... This is a brief explanation, .................. Mike [/QUOTE
    It's not the RADAR, it's they way they calculate the speed limit. For some reason in California the statute speed limit and the RADAR limit are different. The way it was explained to me by a CHP officer is the RADAR limit reflects actual conditions and driver behavior and the statute is just the law. The officers tend to pick and choose which one they use, if they want a lot of tickets, they pace cars or hide around corners. They can write you based upon pacing or an estimated speed on the statute limit, but if they use RADAR and someone fights it they can lose unless the person was exceeding the computed limit.

Spyder Garage

Nice pictures, sorry to hear about ticket.

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry about the speeding ticket. Bummer! However, looking at the pictures it looks like you had a good trip on your spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

[QUOTE=CA Railwhale;1273618]
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Friend that is not how RADAR works ..... and there aren't different versions in Calif., they all work the SAME ..... I ran Radar for decades and the LEO can set the unit to LOCK-ON at OR ABOVE a specific speed ..... however the target vehicle MUST ACHIEVE THAT SPEED.....OR ABOVE IT...... This is a brief explanation, .................. Mike [/QUOTE
    It's not the RADAR, it's they way they calculate the speed limit. For some reason in California the statute speed limit and the RADAR limit are different. The way it was explained to me by a CHP officer is the RADAR limit reflects actual conditions and driver behavior and the statute is just the law. The officers tend to pick and choose which one they use, if they want a lot of tickets, they pace cars or hide around corners. They can write you based upon pacing or an estimated speed on the statute limit, but if they use RADAR and someone fights it they can lose unless the person was exceeding the computed limit.
    There is no such thing as a " COMPUTED LIMIT " way of deciding whether or not you violated the Posted Speed .... period. But what would I know, I was an LEO for 36 years....... Your knowledge appears to be based on - what you remember ( and your understanding of IT !!! ) from a brief conversation you had sometime in the past......... I'm leaving this conversation now .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-28-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But if you happen to have an accident near one of those signs, and they can use "speed not reasonable or prudent for the driving conditions", for writing a summons: then the sign will be more than just mentioned in Court...

way to ruin a speeding ticket brag post

Spyder Garage

"I'm terribly sorry officer. If your state wasn't so incredibly beautiful and had I not been completely enthralled by the scenery, I would surely have noticed I was perhaps traveling just a little too fast."
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)