Spyder Garage

Default Tire Pressure thoughts

Last Friday I went to check my tire pressures on my 2015 Rt. I do not do it as often as I should so decided to check on Spyderlovers for correct pressures. There are almost as many opinions as there are posts. While I do not consider myself any kind of an expert, I have come to the conclusion that there is no "one size fits all" tire pressure. It seems to vary with the weight carried, the type of riding you do and the feel the rider desires. Of course different brands of tire will also cause variations. Two things I see that are important. The pressure in the front tires must match side to side. Extreme high or extreme too low will cause excess tire wear and handling problems. My dealer recommends 25 in the fronts. I am running 24.5 in one and 24 in the other. My rear is inflated to 30 psi. With two up or solo. the bike run like it is on rails. With two up I keep my rear shock full hard. A bit stiff but handles beautiful. Will the rear tire wear quick at that pressure. I don't know, but the ride makes it worth while if it does. It appears to ride flat on the ground and the tire is rated above that pressure. I guess my conclusion is that I am enjoying riding the bike and I am not going to worry about meeting some spec. If it works good and the bike likes it, that is the way to ride and enjoy it. Put in what ever pressure gives you the most enjoyable ride.

Spyder Garage

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Enjoy your ride.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Running a high pressure will tend to wear out the center portion of the tread first...

But to be accurate: EVERYTHING seems to make the center portion of the tread wear out first!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

You're 100% correct, there is no one size fits all tire pressure. Begin with the recommended pressures shown in your owner's manual or on the tire sticker under your seat. Do yourself and your tires a favor and buy a set of Fobo tire pressure monitors, which I don't have, or check your tire pressure once a week, which I do. Set your pressure to whatever gives you your best ride, remembering to keep the front tires within 1/2 pound of each other. Yes, your rear tire will wear faster in the center than on the outer edges, even within the recommended pressure setting range of 30 +/- 2 psi. My last OEM rear tire, the third, gave me 11,650 miles of reliable service that included a 2,000+ mile trip to Spyderfest 2016 and lots of NC mountain twisties with some elevated hooligan factor in the other 9,000+ miles. I share your preference for the hardest ACS rear suspension setting.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE TIRE THING

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingman View Post
    Last Friday I went to check my tire pressures on my 2015 Rt. I do not do it as often as I should so decided to check on Spyderlovers for correct pressures. There are almost as many opinions as there are posts. While I do not consider myself any kind of an expert, I have come to the conclusion that there is no "one size fits all" tire pressure. It seems to vary with the weight carried, the type of riding you do and the feel the rider desires. Of course different brands of tire will also cause variations. Two things I see that are important. The pressure in the front tires must match side to side. Extreme high or extreme too low will cause excess tire wear and handling problems. My dealer recommends 25 in the fronts. I am running 24.5 in one and 24 in the other. My rear is inflated to 30 psi. With two up or solo. the bike run like it is on rails. With two up I keep my rear shock full hard. A bit stiff but handles beautiful. Will the rear tire wear quick at that pressure. I don't know, but the ride makes it worth while if it does. It appears to ride flat on the ground and the tire is rated above that pressure. I guess my conclusion is that I am enjoying riding the bike and I am not going to worry about meeting some spec. If it works good and the bike likes it, that is the way to ride and enjoy it. Put in what ever pressure gives you the most enjoyable ride.
    I'm sorry to inform you that almost every thing you have said above is not correct ... and this isn't SWAG ... Prior to my retirement I was qualified to give Expert testimony in Court about accidents ...prior to - during - and after occurrence. If you are still using Kenda's ... I can state with confidence they are well below the standards of any CAR tire that will fit your Spyder ..... If you want to be SAFE , when the Kenda's wear out get some Car tires ....especially for the Rear ..... Currently for the rear I like the General Altimax RT 43 in 215-60/15 & the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus in 215/60-15..... Now you can believe me ( with my qualifications ) or all the folks who say their tires feel great just because they think so !!! .... I'm not dissing anyone here, but if someone who never rode a Spyder came on this Forum and said - Well I think Spyders S*CK - what would you say ???? ....... I'm just trying to keep Everyone safe & happy ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm sorry to inform you that almost every thing you have said above is not correct ... and this isn't SWAG ... Prior to my retirement I was qualified to give Expert testimony in Court about accidents ...prior to - during - and after occurrence. If you are still using Kenda's ... I can state with confidence they are well below the standards of any CAR tire that will fit your Spyder ..... If you want to be SAFE , when the Kenda's wear out get some Car tires ....especially for the Rear ..... Currently for the rear I like the General Altimax RT 43 in 215-60/15 & the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus in 215/60-15..... Now you can believe me ( with my qualifications ) or all the folks who say their tires feel great just because they think so !!! .... I'm not dissing anyone here, but if someone who never rode a Spyder came on this Forum and said - Well I think Spyders S*CK - what would you say ???? ....... I'm just trying to keep Everyone safe & happy ....... Mike
    Now Mike while I agree with you on Kendas being crap I don't think the OP was talking about one brand versus another but about tire pressure.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default MY POST

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Now Mike while I agree with you on Kendas being crap I don't think the OP was talking about one brand versus another but about tire pressure.
    # 1.... Although I agree the Kenda's are CRAP, I didn't say that !!! #2. Since I believe He has Kenda's ( I reviewed His past Posts ) , I saw no point in discussing Car Tire pressures with someone who is using Kenda's - to me that would be Totally confusing to the OP and anyone else reading this Thread ........... Mike

Spyder Garage

turers
    # 1.... Although I agree the Kenda's are CRAP, I didn't say that !!! #2. Since I believe He has Kenda's ( I reviewed His past Posts ) , I saw no point in discussing Car Tire pressures with someone who is using Kenda's - to me that would be Totally confusing to the OP and anyone else reading this Thread ........... Mike
    Mike, Yes I have OEM Kendas, I am in total agreement with you regarding replacing Kendas with car tires. Both front and rear. There is no reason for motorcycle profile tires on a Spyder. No disagreement. Also take notice that I stated extremely low and extremely high tire pressures are not acceptable. Very small changes in pressure can make a great difference in handling characteristics. NASCAR racing has proven this with miniscule pressure changes. My rear tire was at 26 psi before last Friday. Riding two up it tended to not want to turn into the curves. (Understeer) One up it was fine. This was well with in the limits I have seen posted on this site, but for me it was not responsive enough. I am an old man who rides with a group who ride mostly Harleys so I am not meaning sport bike fast. But that four psi made a great difference. Now front tires? Each one individually might be within the MFG spec, but if the are not within 1/2 psi of each other a Spyder can get evil handling very quick.

Mike, your kind of response is what makes this site great. If we all agreed we would have no reason to post. Regarding my background. I was a 1950's Hot Rodder. Cars motorcycles, anything that went fast. We knew little, but if it made it faster it was the correct mod. Training wise I have a 2 year diploma in aircraft maintenance with a A & P license and a way out of date Inspectors Authorization. Much of my aviation experience was in bush operations in Southeast Asia. Getting a broke airplane out of the bush was a lot of SWAG. Careful, thoughtful SWAG, as I was going to be in the airplane when it went home. I also have a private pilots license with an instrument rating. I am retired from a company that manufactured industrial gas turbines. They also packaged these turbines mated to large pumps, compressors or generators. I was a field technician. A crew of one, who installed, serviced and troubleshot the customers equipment where ever it was anyplace in the world. Mike, this is not meant as a put down at all. Only added because you stated your qualifications. I believe my technical background gives me the experience to stand up against you in court.

Spyder Garage

Default Oh no....

Tires.... You are right in your assement of the views here. Regardless of personal feelings the more pressure the faster the center will ware, the faster the spin the more the center will rise. The less then the sides will tend to go first and all subject to all you mention. Road types, weather, driving style, tire brand and composition etc etc. It all comes down to what you have and the best pressure for them and you. Main reason for the difference in pressures are the plys used in the motorcycle and car tires. Kendas are a 2 ply and the car tires will vary 4 and up. I run Kendas and they have worked well at 17 -18 psi in the fronts and 25-28 rear. Remember that that pressure will change with the heat of the road and the weather...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Tires.... You are right in your assement of the views here. Regardless of personal feelings the more pressure the faster the center will ware, the faster the spin the more the center will rise. The less then the sides will tend to go first and all subject to all you mention. Road types, weather, driving style, tire brand and composition etc etc. It all comes down to what you have and the best pressure for them and you. Main reason for the difference in pressures are the plys used in the motorcycle and car tires. Kendas are a 2 ply and the car tires will vary 4 and up. I run Kendas and they have worked well at 17 -18 psi in the fronts and 25-28 rear. Remember that that pressure will change with the heat of the road and the weather...
    Very well stated. It is easy to get all wrapped up in meeting a tech writers spec, that takes the joy from the ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Begin with the recommended pressures shown in your owner's manual or on the tire sticker under your seat.

THIS.
    Most "casual" riders don't need to know anything else. Honestly.

Spyder Garage

joyce and i almost always ride together. combined weight of about 370#.
    i run 22 front and 28 rear. so all you guys think that is 2 much up front.
    all are wearing evenly and we have been "squaaaaared away". thanks to
    ann and joe.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 RT and been running the stock pressure on my stock tires. ( 20 front-28 rear ) The manual allows for 2 lbs plus or minus. I need to experiment to determine the best for handling, not interested in mileage. I know from racing motorcycles we went down in pressure, so pumping them up probably isn't the way to go. Of course being new to the Spyder, I could be wrong. I want to try 18 front and 26 rear. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Maddoggie501; 06-27-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Spyder Garage

For some reason a lot of folks think that higher air pressure is better. It's not. It really simple. The higher the air pressure, the less rubber touches the road. That means less traction and less grip for emergency maneuvers. Again let's not get extreme here either. Too low air pressure is not good either. Start with what BRP recommends on the label, on the swing arm.

Car tires in general need a lower air pressure then the stock Kenda's. That's because the sidewalls are generally stiffer and if it has too much air. The thread surface has a harder time staying in full contact with the road surface.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Hi,
    I am running brand new Altimax in the front and a brand new Yokohama in the rear. As per Mike's advice I have 18 PSI in the front and 21-22 PSI in the rear. I just completed an awesome 1,400 + mile trip. I was on Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway in rain and shine. The tires stuck to the road like glue. BTW, I was with all 2 wheelers and passed some of them most of the time. As Mike explained the lower pressure allows the tires to use all the the treads, including the sides. Also remember, these tires are made for cars that weigh much more than a Spyder. BTW, I weigh 165. Try these PSIs you may like them. Also, I averaged 32 MPG, no affect on gas mileage.
    Last edited by Crisis; 06-27-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PRESSURES

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingman View Post
    turers

Mike, Yes I have OEM Kendas, I am in total agreement with you regarding replacing Kendas with car tires. Both front and rear. There is no reason for motorcycle profile tires on a Spyder. No disagreement. Also take notice that I stated extremely low and extremely high tire pressures are not acceptable. Very small changes in pressure can make a great difference in handling characteristics. NASCAR racing has proven this with miniscule pressure changes. My rear tire was at 26 psi before last Friday. Riding two up it tended to not want to turn into the curves. (Understeer) One up it was fine. This was well with in the limits I have seen posted on this site, but for me it was not responsive enough. I am an old man who rides with a group who ride mostly Harleys so I am not meaning sport bike fast. But that four psi made a great difference. Now front tires? Each one individually might be within the MFG spec, but if the are not within 1/2 psi of each other a Spyder can get evil handling very quick.

Mike, your kind of response is what makes this site great. If we all agreed we would have no reason to post. Regarding my background. I was a 1950's Hot Rodder. Cars motorcycles, anything that went fast. We knew little, but if it made it faster it was the correct mod. Training wise I have a 2 year diploma in aircraft maintenance with a A & P license and a way out of date Inspectors Authorization. Much of my aviation experience was in bush operations in Southeast Asia. Getting a broke airplane out of the bush was a lot of SWAG. Careful, thoughtful SWAG, as I was going to be in the airplane when it went home. I also have a private pilots license with an instrument rating. I am retired from a company that manufactured industrial gas turbines. They also packaged these turbines mated to large pumps, compressors or generators. I was a field technician. A crew of one, who installed, serviced and troubleshot the customers equipment where ever it was anyplace in the world. Mike, this is not meant as a put down at all. Only added because you stated your qualifications. I believe my technical background gives me the experience to stand up against you in court.
    I don't know who coined this " you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink " and I'm a firm believer in it.... My life doesn't depend on the air pressure you put in your tires or what tires are on your Spyder , best of luck ..... On the court thing, in the type of cases I testified in, your " technical background " would not have qualified you to give an opinion.....this is a fact, not my opinion.... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-27-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PRESSURES

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    Hi,
    I am running brand new Altimax in the front and a brand new Yokohama in the rear. As per Mike's advice I have 18 PSI in the front and 21-22 PSI in the rear. I just completed an awesome 1,400 + mile trip. I was on Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway in rain and shine. The tires stuck to the road like glue. BTW, I was with all 2 wheelers and passed some of them most of the time. As Mike explained the lower pressure allows the tires to use all the the treads, including the sides. Also remember, these tires are made for cars that weigh much more than a Spyder. BTW, I weigh 165. Try these PSIs you may like them. Also, I averaged 32 MPG, no affect on gas mileage.
    Crisis..... I do recommend the lower PSI for car tires ..... However the OP is still using the Kenda's & He needs the higher PSI because the Kenda's require it ............ and if I'm the Mike you are referencing I would go with 15 in the front and 19 in the rear ..... just give it a try .... nothing BAD will happen - I promise ...... Mike