Spyder Garage

Angry Insurance problems

Hello to everyone, I am a 52 year old rookie to Spyders. I have a tentative deal done on a 2015 can am spyder RT Limited from a dealer. I can not believe how much difficulty it is to get insurance. My insurance company tells me that I have to have the spyder course, then I have to weight until the 60 days are up to get my M2 before they will give me insurance on it. I have the course booked already in 2 weeks time. But but by then that machine will likely be gone, but even if it wasn't I still cant get any coverage. So then I had to call the dealership back to cancel the deal. They even could not believe that my company would not give me coverage right off the hop. I tried calling other companys around and they will give me coverage before the course, but they are all a $1000 more a year than my company. So my question is has anyone else have similar problems. Thanks.

P.S. My insurance company said I could bring it home on a trailer,but there wood be no coverage on it.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

Where you are.. don't know about canadian insurance but here it varies state to state and dmv to dmv. We don't need motorcycle license so most insurance will take you right off. Other states require motorcycle license some three wheels or sidecar...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you really want to make the deal then it sounds like you have to go with the higher priced company. Although if you bring it home on a trailer and keep it in your garage I would think that if something happens it would be covered under your homeowners insurance. Maybe one of your fellow countrymen will chime in with an answer for you. We don't have the graduated licensing in the states like you have. Good luck.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

As a new rider your going to have to pay the price.I pay over 1000 bucks a year been riding over 40 years.Keep calling around only a few companys will insure bikes.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

Default insurance

Unfortunately, here in ontario and most of Canada you need either a motorcycle licence or take and pass the course for three wheelers, therefore your insurance company cannot insure you until you have the proper papers to legally be able to drive the spider on the road, but should be able to insure the bike for storing, until you can acquire your licence, so have the dealer deliver it to your home as part of the deal.
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow

Spyder Garage

I am certainly not a good reference because I am in Switzerland.
    Here, contrarily to other European countries, the car driving license is good for a trike. No certification or training required.
    But from an insurance point of view, I pay approx. 1500$US a year.
    I am 54 years old. So, from my point of view, and again I am not based in your country, that does not surprise me.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow! This makes my $430 a year cheap at twice the price!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default which company ?

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Wow! This makes my $430 a year cheap at twice the price!
    <--------- that is a good price ! I have 2 cycles , 3 and 2 , year insurance , 630.oo { and I am 16 years old } hahahaha o kay I feel like 16 when I am riding ----- progressive ----

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Different rules for different places...
    If you need a course: get one!
    Unless some of our Canadian friends can point to another way to get through this process.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

cant you get coverage then cancel it, then get a refund?? This way your covered until you get home.

Spyder Garage

Default Take the Spyder course

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    Hello to everyone, I am a 52 year old rookie to Spyders. I have a tentative deal done on a 2015 can am spyder RT Limited from a dealer. I can not believe how much difficulty it is to get insurance. My insurance company tells me that I have to have the spyder course, then I have to weight until the 60 days are up to get my M2 before they will give me insurance on it. I have the course booked already in 2 weeks time. But but by then that machine will likely be gone, but even if it wasn't I still cant get any coverage. So then I had to call the dealership back to cancel the deal. They even could not believe that my company would not give me coverage right off the hop. I tried calling other companys around and they will give me coverage before the course, but they are all a $1000 more a year than my company. So my question is has anyone else have similar problems. Thanks.

P.S. My insurance company said I could bring it home on a trailer,but there wood be no coverage on it.
    my company ( Commonwell) insured me immediately but yes it was expensive... $1600.00 for the year . I took the Spyder course at Georgian in Barrie and it dropped to $1200.00. They provide you with a Spyder for the course and give you the test for M2 exit for 3 wheel motorcycle at the end ( you need your written M1 to take course) . I had my motorcycle license from when I was 16 years old but around 2001 I moved and had some medical problems and didn't renew my license for 3 years ( yes stupid ) and had to retake my drivers license , forgetting I also lost my M license . So starting over or beginning in motorcycles is not cheap . My advise is to take the course , m2 paperwork and get a Spyder and full insurance... there are plenty out there for sale . The course teaches you a lot of very valuable habits and info on handling these machines and driving safety and defensively, BRP will reimburse the course in some circumstances as well if you buy new or non current from a dealer . Do it , you won't regret it

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, if you truly want that machine then I'd say make the deal and as was suggested by Doug, get it delivered. Yes it may be frustrating to see it sit while you get your affairs sorted out but at least it is a start. You should be able to get coverage for fire and theft.
    Motorcycle insurance is expensive any where in Canada. When I lived in Ontario many years back it was extremely high especially for new riders. In part you can thank young crotch rocket bikers that were killing themselves right and left for driving up the premiums from years past. I've had my motorcycle license for 40 years and a great record and I pay well over a thousand $ per year with the liability portion only being for 7-8 months of riding.
    I'd say they are at least being somewhat responsible in NOT allowing every newbi under the sun to buy a machine and head out to kill themselves as used to be the case. Just because it is a Spyder you want, remember that the license is good for any 2 wheeled machine.
    Hope you get it sorted out.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Me again, does anyone know if I purchased the machine and had them deliver it to me. Would it be covered under the dealerships insurance. If not I guess I would have to trailer it home without insurance if I want it bad enough.

Spyder Garage

Only advice from m/c & Spyder owners who live in ON will be of any help to you as all Provinces are different.

My household policy does not cover m/c or Spyder on my property, in my garage or in my basement. They specifically ask if I have any.

Personally I would not risk losing what I paid for the Spyder due to some mishap.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Default check with the dealer

Me again, does anyone know if I purchased the machine and had them deliver it to me. Would it be covered under the dealerships insurance. If not I guess I would have to trailer it home without insurance if I want it bad enough.
    I would check with the dealer on this topic , sometimes , the dealer will not let it go with out insurance , { in my area } and too deliver it , would not be the case , the idea I would say is , " they deliver the cycle , too the buyer , in good faith that the buyer is about too get insurance or paper work is in route , --- the problem that follows would be , " the dealer delivers the cycle under the same idea , but the buyer decides too go for a short ride , and causes an accident , now who is at fault ? { the dealer for delivery , with out verification of insurance by owner , or the buyer who fails to obtain the insurance ? I am thinking they both would be under a lawsuit , as they dealer is not suppose too let a cycle out with out insurance , and the buyer in not getting insurance in the 1st place " } just my thinking ... best be on the safe side and not have worries later ---- get insurance

Spyder Garage

Default YOUR SITUATION

SOMEONE MENTIONED MAYBE HOMEOWNERS WOULD COVER AT HOME. THEY WILL NOT COVER THE CAN AM AT ALL. A GOOD THOUGHT, BUT WILL NOT WORK. GOOD LUCK.

Spyder Garage

Try TD Canada Trust Insurance -
    https://www.tdinsurance.com/?campaig...:p21570986299-

they have great rates, great service and will insure Spyders. Unfortunately new riders will have to pay a premium until they get a couple of years under their belt.

The other option is Ridersplus Insurance https://www.ridersplus.com/

I have TD right now and paying $900 per year for full coverage.

Good luck - Rates in Ontario suck but .......

Spyder Garage

Default Insurance

Try Progressive Ins.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to our "Ontarioians", for giving the most useful advice!

Spyder Garage

Angry 2015 can am spyder rt limited

Well after all of the replies, I have decided that I am going to call the dealership tomorrow to go ahead with the deal. I am afraid if I don't it will be gone. I am going to take a chance and trailer it home without insurance. So when I get it home my wife told me to promise her that I will not even take it around the block until the 60 days have passed before I get my M2. So it will be hard as heck to see it sitting tucked away back in the garage for 60 longgggg days without me drooling all over it. The best that I will be able to do is go back and forth in my 40 ft driveway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This'll give you some time to become acquainted with the farkle-ordering process!
    Can you purchase some form of Comprehensive coverage, to protect the bike while it's not being ridden on the highways?
    Until the bike is licensed, and out of the road: your biggest chances for loss are through Fire, and Theft... get some coverage!

Spyder Garage

My insurance company will not give me any kind of coverage until I have my full license. My only concern is getting it home on a trailer. But once I get it home I wont be worried anymore other than taking it for a ride. LOL.

Spyder Garage

I think your Insurance company is giving you the wrong info, aslong as you have your M1 you can get insurance on your spyder, the 60 days is the least time till you can do your M2 and yes you are able to ride your spyder during them 60 days, best place i found for Insurance was Riders Plus Insurance and aslong as you have M1, they will insure your bike right away. there website is https://www.ridersplus.com/ The only Insurance the do is Motorcycle Insurance.

Spyder Garage

No my insurance company will not give me coverage during the 60 days prior to getting my M2. That is there policy. So I called other places around the Toronto area and, Yes you are right they will give me coverage right away but, they are also quoting me $2500 that is a $1000 more than my insurance company. Hard to believe that I am willing to pay them and, they don't want my money. That is very unusual they normally have there hand out right away.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sounds as if this all comes down to priorities...
    Either pay more; and have the coverage now...
    Or pay less; and get the coverage later...

I'm sorry to hear that you've fallen into this...