Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Sensible gun control

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    That's a good way to keep me out of a place. Idiots.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down " No Firearms allowed here"

A store, coffee shop, eatery, ect. that displays a sign that makes legal concealed carry patrons unwelcome will not get my business. But I don't call them names.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

It is very common here to walk into a Dairy Queen or other restaurant and see people openly packing. That's the way it is. Open carry is perfectly legal here in Arizona and concealed is legal for all. No big deal...... I wouldn't be caught dead cruising without my Body Guard. (S&W 38). Years ago I did a lot of hunting and wore a pistol all day. No issues. I quit hunting but still often see hunters with their side arms in public. Again, no big deal..... I'd rather see them in control of their firearm that leave them in the truck for some pimply faced 15 year old to steal and do bad stuff. Flame Away......
    Last edited by canamjhb; 06-24-2017 at 11:59 PM.

Spyder Garage
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Default Ooooo...!!🤔

tenor.gifthis could get ugly...I'm outta here...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Store #1 has " gun free zone" sign in window,
    Store #2 has the gun welcome sign
    Which store will the nidal hasans visit

committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    A store, coffee shop, eatery, ect. that displays a sign that makes legal concealed carry patrons unwelcome will not get my business. But I don't call them names.

Kaos
    Seems as though Utah Pete has an issue with our 2nd amendment to the constitution. And I guess he doesn't realize name-calling only increases resentment.

So Pete, ya wanna lighten-up?

Spyder Garage

Well, I guess I was just called a idiot.. In this instance, proud to be one...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

offended.jpg

And for the record:

1922__orig.jpg

I'm gonna see if I can get a copy of that sign, and post it in my Office!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I carry 24/7... ..... and I patronize those that do also.. just saying

osm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Store #1 has " gun free zone" sign in window,
    Store #2 has the gun welcome sign
    Which store will the nidal hasans visit
    This is a completely BS point.

No matter how many guns are present, the first one to shoot has a HUGE advantage.
    And the terrorist won't stand out if his gun is visible.
    And the general public is not known for good marksmanship......so the extra lead flying around might actually be MORE dangerous.
    The assassin expects to die in the process.

Listen, I don't like to "debate" stuff like this in a forum with an entirely different purpose but...............
    If you are going to debate and try to draw an intelligent conclusion, you need to consider ALL of the factors, not just the emotional ones.

The difference between a fine upstanding law abiding citizen with a gun and a criminal with a gun is: about 3 seconds.

The more handguns in circulation, the more gun deaths there will be; and most of them will NOT be actual criminals.
    Most will be friends, family members and children.

Calling it gun "control" is itself biased toward an emotional response. It should be referred to as "gun restrictions".

We require a drivers license for a car, whose purpose is not to kill things.
    Then there are guns, whose main purpose IS to kill things but no license required at all.

If you support removing all restrictions from owning guns, then you support a large increase in accidental gun deaths.
    That is a fact, whether you like it or not.

And finally.........where do you think that "criminals" GET the guns that they have ??
    The overwhelming answer is: From a person who initially bought it legally.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    This is a completely BS point.

No matter how many guns are present, the first one to shoot has a HUGE advantage.
    And the terrorist won't stand out if his gun is visible.
    And the general public is not known for good marksmanship......so the extra lead flying around might actually be MORE dangerous.
    The assassin expects to die in the process.

Listen, I don't like to "debate" stuff like this in a forum with an entirely different purpose but...............
    If you are going to debate and try to draw an intelligent conclusion, you need to consider ALL of the factors, not just the emotional ones.

The difference between a fine upstanding law abiding citizen with a gun and a criminal with a gun is: about 3 seconds.

The more handguns in circulation, the more gun deaths there will be; and most of them will NOT be actual criminals.
    Most will be friends, family members and children.

Calling it gun "control" is itself biased toward an emotional response. It should be referred to as "gun restrictions".

We require a drivers license for a car, whose purpose is not to kill things.
    Then there are guns, whose main purpose IS to kill things but no license required at all.

If you support removing all restrictions from owning guns, then you support a large increase in accidental gun deaths.
    That is a fact, whether you like it or not.

And finally.........where do you think that "criminals" GET the guns that they have ??
    The overwhelming answer is: From a person who initially bought it legally.

sounds like you'd be the patron of store # 1, i wish you well.
    also my conclusion is totally valid, how many mass shootings have there been in gun friendly environments.
    have a good day

ps, your nonpoint about bad guys getting guns,
    remember something called FAST AND FURIOUS

Last edited by vided; 06-25-2017 at 09:35 AM.

committee for postings

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We lived in Mesa, AZ for 6 1/2 years in the eighties. Open carry was legal then but I don't think I ever saw more than three people who did. One did so on a regular basis and apparently lived somewhere in our area. He, however, was not one that most people would be comfortable being around based upon appearances alone. I never spoke to the man and like I said, he was not someone I would have been comfortable approaching for any reason. He never caused any problems beyond making some people nervous as far as I know.

The branch of the Valley National Bank that we went to was built in an old West theme complete with a sign saying "Check your guns before entering" . I remarked to one of the tellers about the sign being a "nice touch" or something to that effect and she said that it wasn't for decoration, it was meant as a practical requirement before coming into the lobby for business purposes. (The check your gun part meaning to deposit them in a lock box or whatever they provided for securing your gun(s) while in their bank.)

That said, there is a huge difference between the way firearms were treated say, 30 years ago and today. I also don't think that it has been a change for the better. When I was younger my Dad taught me how to handle a firearm and the respect that they deserve. Also driven into my head was the huge amount of responsibility that owning and handling a firearm entailed. That seems to be the missing factor in far too many instances where people and guns are concerned nowadays.

To many it offers a sense of security for themselves and their families. The majority of them handle the responsibility of carrying a firearm well.......you will never know they have one on their person.

Then you have a smaller group that seems to need a gun to make up for what they are lacking in confidence. Be it in their manhood, their sense of worth or, God forbid, their intelligence. Any of those three, or possibly others not mentioned, are what scares me. Too often, they are the ones that are smart enough to pass course requirements (where required) but aren't quite smart enough to fulfil the total requirements of gun ownership such as proper storage of unused guns and ammo, just for starters.

As for me and my family, if we are in a restaurant eating, for, example, and a person walks in with a gun that is visible, we are making a hopefully discreet exit immediately. That means that we may face a problem over an unpaid bill but that is fine, we can settle that after the fact.

The problem ultimately comes down to the question that is impossible to know. Is he (she) a good guy or not? Myself, I don't plan on waiting around to make that determination!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    Seems as though Utah Pete has an issue with our 2nd amendment to the constitution. And I guess he doesn't realize name-calling only increases resentment.

So Pete, ya wanna lighten-up?
    Not really.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mowin View Post
    Well, I guess I was just called a idiot.. In this instance, proud to be one...
    Only if you are the store owner with the sign. He's the one I called an idiot. Why would you want to alienate 1/2 of your potential clientele? That's idiotic.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gun Free Zones should be renamed " LAW ABIDING CITIZEN GUN FREE ZONE " Because they are the only ones that will abide by it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That's a good way to keep me out of a place. Idiots.
    Nope... you called everyone an idiot...

Whatever floats Your Goat.jpg

But in the spirit of generosity and friendship: if I happen to be nerby, and I see you being beaten or robbed: I'll shoot the S.O.B. for you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

When trouble happens Nobody calls the police because they have cool uniforms.

committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Only if you are the store owner with the sign. He's the one I called an idiot. Why would you want to alienate 1/2 of your potential clientele? That's idiotic.
    So, your saying those that don't carry will never enter that store?

Seems idiotic.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Nope... you called everyone an idiot... But in the spirit of generosity and friendship: if I happen to be nerby, and I see you being beaten or robbed: I'll shoot the S.O.B. for you!
    In my 70 years of adventurous living, I've never been robbed. The only time I've been beaten was in Phoenix, by some ******* with a gun who thought I'd cut him off so forced me off the road and out of the car I was driving. Plenty of good citizens drove by, I'm sure most of whom were armed, but nobody stopped to offer assistance until after the perp got back in his truck and drove off.

That's the only time I've gotten into a threatening situation and been unable to talk my way out of it. This guy didn't want to talk and didn't have to because he was 'totin' and he was in a rage. I don't fear real bad guys. What I fear is; a) idiots with guns and b) teenage drivers with smart phones; there are far more of those and much greater likelihood of being seriously injured by one.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-25-2017 at 01:59 PM. Reason: clarification
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

also my conclusion is totally valid, how many mass shootings have there been in gun friendly environments.
    No it isn't.

There are no elephants in my home either.
    My elephant repellent must be working really good.

If you really want to deal with facts, see if you can find out how many total deaths there were last year due to gunshot wounds.
    And then how many of those people could properly be classified as criminals that died when someone else stopped them in the commission of a crime.

If you do any serious looking, you should find that the ratio of good guys dying to bad ones is OVER 500 to one.
    And more importantly, very few actually die at the hands of a bad guy with a gun.
    Most are accidents of one form or another.......or a good guy going off the deep end.

I'm done. No use confusing you with facts since your "mind" is already made up.

And SHOUTING won't make your non-points any more valid either.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But in the spirit of generosity and friendship: if I happen to be nerby, and I see you being beaten or robbed: I'll shoot the S.O.B. for you!
    NO PLEASE DO NOT.

History proves that you would be just as likely to kill ME as the person attacking me.

I'll take my chances with an unarmed criminal any day.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    No it isn't.

There are no elephants in my home either.
    My elephant repellent must be working really good.

If you really want to deal with facts, see if you can find out how many total deaths there were last year due to gunshot wounds.
    And then how many of those people could properly be classified as criminals that died when someone else stopped them in the commission of a crime.

If you do any serious looking, you should find that the ratio of good guys dying to bad ones is OVER 500 to one.
    And more importantly, very few actually die at the hands of a bad guy with a gun.
    Most are accidents of one form or another.......or a good guy going off the deep end.

I'm done. No use confusing you with facts since your "mind" is already made up.

And SHOUTING won't make your non-points any more valid either.

What brand repellent do you use.
    whose shouting, if you check any of my posts I always you #5 font size.
    it's sure made up on one point.
    enjoy

committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When trouble happens Nobody calls the police because they have cool uniforms.
    So, it's a good thing Nobody is always around when you need him.

Hint: Capitalized first letter of a noun in the middle of a sentence makes it a proper noun, as in someone's name.

Hint: It's what you write or say that counts, not the size of your font or the number of emoji's you use in your content that makes your point, whatever that might be.
    2014 RTL Platinum