Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

We've had good luck with flipping the magnets. I've also removed the top magnets and just used the stock clips and that works great too.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default UPPER MAGNET REMOVAL

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    We've had good luck with flipping the magnets. I've also removed the top magnets and just used the stock clips and that works great too.
    , I recently removed my upper magnet ( for not the same reason ) and tried the OEM Post and Plastic Clip ..... I think it actually works much better than the THREE Magnet system........ On the BRP - OEM system it was the lower post & wire spring clips that were the issue ...... the upper post didn't cause any problems ( if you managed to get the lowers on ) ...... TRY IT ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On 5/13 I asked a question concerning the possible effects of these powerful magnets.

My question was:
    "I think these mirror mounts look like a nice solution to the problem of mirror removal. I was wondering however, does anyone have any hard data that shows that these really strong magnets will not cause any issues with the gauges, displays, computers, etc ? Fairly mild magnets can cause some serious issues with instruments. To show this, just put a magnetic compass any place around the dashboard. The speaker magnets will not allow the compass to work properly. Has anyone had any problems related to the strong magnets?"

The consistent answer was that there were no problems associated with the magnets. Now, there seems to have been several issues and numerous work arounds to solve the problems. Amazing. It seems as though we are dealing with some selective internet wisdom again. Be careful when using magnets of any kind around your computers, displays, gauges, etc. You may not be able to see the effect but, the magnetic field is there.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You could just disconnect the analog gauges. I remember rtotten having the same problem with the gauges after getting the magic mirrors.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default It worked

Got home from work took magnet off. The very top one
    And the gauge instantly read normal just like it was before
    . I even went to dealer and they said these machines are finicky and has long has the fan kicks on font worry. Pput magnets back on the other way and it still is working good. I will drive around today and let you know if it stays. FYI when it was acting up the highest. It would read would barely touch the bottom of the marker.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Danz28 View Post
    Got home from work took magnet off. The very top one
    And the gauge instantly read normal just like it was before
    . I even went to dealer and they said these machines are finicky and has long has the fan kicks on font worry. Pput magnets back on the other way and it still is working good. I will drive around today and let you know if it stays. FYI when it was acting up the highest. It would read would barely touch the bottom of the marker.
    on fixing this issue!
    I must have just put mine in the "correct" way; the very first time! Faint.gif
    And I'm NEVER that lucky!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hi!

I had a problem cause when I installed the magic mirrors the temperature needle went up
    and stayed there. So I believed the Spyder had some issue with cooling system.

Once I turned the upper magnet over, the needle went down but I discovered that the magnet
    effects are still there cause the needle, now don't goes up. ¿?¿?!!

I've dissasembled all magnets an the needle reaches the medium level temperature. When I approach
    one magnet to any of the three positions the needle goes down again.

Maybe should I add some kind of magnetic shielding material to protect the gauge or insulate the
    magnets?
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Very few materials are easily formed to block a magnets field. What did you have in mind to prevent the passing of the magnets field towards the instruments?

MU Metal is the one thing that may work. Either plate a large area under each or all magnets or wrap the indicators and secure the wrap.

Last time I used MU Metal, it was pretty expensive.
    Yes. I shaw MU Metal but I'm not sure about it goes with magnets. Despite that if I test it, ill use both options.

The other option is install a voltimeter and a clock on the desk gauges and use the central panel indicators but that doesn't solve
    the problem.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MAGNETIC INTERFERENCE

Very few materials are easily formed to block a magnets field. What did you have in mind to prevent the passing of the magnets field towards the instruments?

MU Metal is the one thing that may work. Either plate a large area under each or all magnets or wrap the indicators and secure the wrap.

Last time I used MU Metal, it was pretty expensive.
    Question: Is the so called magnetic " field " around the magnet ...... the same as what causes the magnet to be attracted to some metal ???? .............. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default "Magic Mirrors" use powerful magnets for attachment

I would think they have to affect the performance of anything containing a coil, such as analog gauges, solenoids, relays, etc.

To me, they are a solution in search of a problem. Once you learn how to remove the side mirrors it isn't that difficult to do.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default NO, No, No

If you do decide to run two magnets and the "C" retainer on each mirror, take the two leftover magnets and secure them to the outside of the oil filter housing to trap micro ferrous particles and lessen engine wear.
    You do NOT want to put the unused magnets on the oil filter. It screws up the shift sensor (tells what gear you are in on your display). I know, I did it. Said I was in 4th gear, was only in 2nd. Gave me the appropriate error code.

As far as the magnetic fields messing with the gauges? I removed the gauges and played with them and a magnet. You have to be at least 8 inches to keep from messing with the gauges. I did the reverse, on the top magnet. Still messed with the gauges as I lowered them into place. Took them out completely, installed a nice voltage gauge in the temp hole, and dual USB ports on the fuel side.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default No problems with my magic mirrors

I have had the magic mirrors on my bike for about 2 months and many miles without any problems. Just my experience so far.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I have the magic mirrors on my bike for a few months now with no problems at all. I think they are the best thing I have added to the bike bar none sure beats the heck out of smashing the mirrors off. A great product that I would recommend to anyone.

Spyder Garage

Default Magnets

I put the two bottom magnets on and left the top Factory. Just went 1900 miles last week and no problems with the gauges.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

Default Magic Mirrors on a 2018 RT?

Just curious if anyone has has issues with these on a 2018 and the full LCD screen as I know computer screens do not like magnets.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gremy View Post
    Just curious if anyone has has issues with these on a 2018 and the full LCD screen as I know computer screens do not like magnets.
    As the latest Spyder RT 2018 with the LCD Screen no longer has the additional gauges fitted The space is now occupied by extra Audio speakers as these also use magnets I wonder if the magic mirrors would cause issues with them
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World