Spyder Garage

Default Crap, my dealer's folding

Damn. GSS Powersports is closing down the end of this month.
    Does anyone know anything about Duchess Recreational Vehicles ??
    I'd hate to think I'm thrust into the same situation that others are in, going to a strange dealer and hoping for the best.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear your dealer is closing down.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that. Mine lost his only Spyder Tech. There is one that is close and good. Arctic Adventures. I stopped in at Dutchess Rec many years ago when on 2 wheels. Wanted to test sit a bike I wanted to buy. Salesman didn't know he had it on the floor. I pointed it out to him. "Sorry guy, that bike is buried. Come back another day". Needless to say I have never been back. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Damn. GSS Powersports is closing down the end of this month.
    Does anyone know anything about Duchess Recreational Vehicles ??
    I'd hate to think I'm thrust into the same situation that others are in, going to a strange dealer and hoping for the best.
    I used him to good guy. Looks like we will be going to Waterbury. I heard to stay away from columbia.

Spyder Garage

There are a few dealers closing down, and it is usually caused by unsatisfactory customer service. The word gets out, people stay away...and then...

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome to the club.....

I was slammed the last few weeks and not much time to do the service on my Spyder
    so I took it to the dealer in LODI CA. they used to have a bunch of Spyders on the showroom
    now I can count them on one hand and have a finger left over... they also have only one guy
    to work on them and he is the service mgr... all I can say they don't pay him enough for what he has
    to do. I may have to see if he would like to make a change and hire him myself for Spyder service and repairs.

Spyder Garage

Usually when the dealer folds its a good thing.
    This not so much.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

sorry to hear but your not alone out there. Breaking in a new one is always tough...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Arctic Adventures

I ride up from Long Island to have bike serviced. Great people & Great service to boot. I refuse to use any of the local down state dealers.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another vote for Arctic Adventures...

I've never heard anything good about Dutchess Rec.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I knew this was coming, but was asked not to say anything until the official announcement was made. I can't/won't go into the details, but BRP had absolutely nothing to do with this. GSS's customer service, customer satisfaction, sales, and service has always been first rate. . In fact, it it were totally up to BRP, this would not be happening. Bob Jr. recommended Land N Sea to me when I asked him where to go. Arctic Adventures was another. For those of you who got an Email from GSS about this, my advice to you is to stay very far away from the other dealer that was mentioned. I believe that it was only included because it is close. This is a big blow to all Spyder riders in this area. Bob, I wish you well in this next part of your journey.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I use land n sea powersports in waterbury, great group of guys over there. They have always treated me well with buying and servicing.

Spyder Garage

Stop by and ask where the tech is going to be working next?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I knew this was coming, but was asked not to say anything until the official announcement was made. I can't/won't go into the details, but BRP had absolutely nothing to do with this. GSS's customer service, customer satisfaction, sales, and service has always been first rate. . In fact, it it were totally up to BRP, this would not be happening. Bob Jr. recommended Land N Sea to me when I asked him where to go. Arctic Adventures was another. For those of you who got an Email from GSS about this, my advice to you is to stay very far away from the other dealer that was mentioned. I believe that it was only included because it is close. This is a big blow to all Spyder riders in this area. Bob, I wish you well in this next part of your journey.
    I know, I feel like crying................
    Great Service. Great People.

Arctic Adventures is good, but far away.
    I've been to Land N Sea once.
    I may take a ride up to Duchess and see what they are up to.
    I'm avoiding one dealer, primarily based on your poor experiences.

AND......Danbury Power Sports is a couple of miles from my home. They sell Can AM ATV's and SeaDoo PWC's and the SkiDoo sleds. The owner has expressed interest, but for some reason, BRP will not let them sell or service Spyders. Go figure. Even with these developments.

This is sad.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 06-20-2017 at 06:36 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    Stop by and ask where the tech is going to be working next?
    He is going to work at a Sea-Doo dealer as their Customer Assistance Manager. They don't sell Spyders, so he will not be turning any wrenches.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default dealer closings

Last year a dealer near me closed due to BRP demands. His location was not the best and BRP told him he had to preorder next years model and he had only sold 5 units that year. His inventory was not moving so he told BRP to come and pickup his unsold units. They had one tech and he is very good. he now services them on the side.

Spyder Garage

Default Artic Adventures

I would stay far away from the mentioned dealer in Hopewell .
    I have used Land and Sea they are very good but I hate dealing with I-84 in that area.
    We only use Artic Adventures they are a great mom and pop dealer with a great service department. It's a half hour past the dealer in Hopewell that's just my 2 cents .
    2015 F3S , silver

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MOSESS View Post
    Last year a dealer near me closed due to BRP demands. His location was not the best and BRP told him he had to preorder next years model and he had only sold 5 units that year. His inventory was not moving so he told BRP to come and pickup his unsold units. They had one tech and he is very good. he now services them on the side.
    Just before I left Homecoming I had a very good chat with a lady who said she was a liaison with dealers. I mentioned to her that BRP marketing has been known to put dealers in the squeeze you mention, and that the marketing people need to have a better idea what a particular market will support. She agreed there are issues with marketing's expectations and the reality of certain market areas. Whether anything will change is anyone's guess, but at least one person in a responsible position in BRP knows there are problems out in Spyder land.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dave7691 View Post
    I would stay far away from the mentioned dealer in Hopewell .
    I have used Land and Sea they are very good but I hate dealing with I-84 in that area.
    We only use Artic Adventures they are a great mom and pop dealer with a great service department. It's a half hour past the dealer in Hopewell that's just my 2 cents .
    How about Mike's Famous in New London?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I know, I feel like crying................
    Great Service. Great People.

Arctic Adventures is good, but far away.
    I've been to Land N Sea once.
    I may take a ride up to Duchess and see what they are up to.
    I'm avoiding one dealer, primarily based on your poor experiences.

AND......Danbury Power Sports is a couple of miles from my home. They sell Can AM ATV's and SeaDoo PWC's and the SkiDoo sleds. The owner has expressed interest, but for some reason, BRP will not let them sell or service Spyders. Go figure. Even with these developments.

This is sad.
    I've been using marks motorsports in Enfield with good results .
    I know he sends his tech for training and he is a platinum dealer .
    Leon
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS IS A CONCERN

I read on another post about the person who read negative things about the Spyder. Most of the regulars "Very Actives" came to BPR's defense and gave the Spyder good reviews. I''ve watched numerous vidoes and logged onto this forum on a daily basis and one thing I've picked up is BPR does address issues, BUT the lack of qualified service techs and dealerships does bother me. I thought the idea was to sell the vehicle but also bring in service customers after the sale. I don't know if it's true but I've heard that car dealerships make their money off the Service Department, not the sale of the car. If dealerships that sell Spyders are closing or dropping the product why not invest the future and send people to these technical schools to learn how to wrench on Spyders. I think the Spyder has the potential of taking the motorcycle world by storm. Us old folks don't have the strength or the reflexes we used to but we can still handle a bike and WE have disposable income. It's my understanding we are fortunate in the Houston area to have a freelancer (THORNOLI'S) that everyone goes to. I 'd like to know how to troubleshoot a bike but I'm not interested in wrenching on one. That's why I have Insurance, Extended Warranties and a good lawyer if the first two don't do what I paid for.

Ten years old isn't long for a vehicle company and Spyder has come a long way. Support the dealerships, put well trained Spyder mechanics in there. Don't let Harley or Yamaha sell Spyders in their spare time.