Spyder Garage

Default Source of noise on left side of ACE 1330 engine

A possible source of noise on the left-hand side of the ACE 1330 engines maybe the straight cut (spur) gears used on the cam reduction drive train. Click on the photo to enlarge. The straight cut gears do not put an axial load (thrust load) on either gear but they produce noise. Helical gears would have been much quieter but may have required a thrust bearing surface. BRP either choose straight cuts gears as a cost reduction measure, or an enginering solutions of some sort. Here is an article that discusses straight cut gears (spur gears) vs helical cut gears.

Photo-2-B-Rotax-1330-ACE-engine_tech.jpg

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You should hear the gear noise in my 2010 1700 Vulcan Voyager. Not even close.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    You should hear the gear noise in my 2010 1700 Vulcan Voyager. Not even close.
    Thats weird. I have a 2011 Kawasaki Vaquero 1700. Same engine. Zero noise.

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post
    A possible source of noise on the left-hand side of the ACE 1330 engines maybe the straight cut (spur) gears used on the cam reduction drive train. Click on the photo to enlarge. The straight cut gears do not put an axial load (thrust load) on either gear but they produce noise. Helical gears would have been much quieter but may have required a thrust bearing surface. BRP either choose straight cuts gears as a cost reduction measure, or an enginering solutions of some sort. Here is an article that discusses straight cut gears (spur gears) vs helical cut gears.

Photo-2-B-Rotax-1330-ACE-engine_tech.jpg
    I believe the oil pumps and the balancing shaft is also run off the same gear. The starter runs through a sprag clutch on the end of the crankshaft.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    Thats weird. I have a 2011 Kawasaki Vaquero 1700. Same engine. Zero noise.
    I think they changed some of the gears in 2011.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

My Triumph Trophy SE had straight cut gears and man could it sing. After years on a BMW RT the Triumph sounded like it was coming apart until I got used to it. Spyder is whisper quiet in comparison.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, but...

Ride More Worry Less.jpg
    They chose what they chose for a reason. I think that they probably considered all of the options at that time...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

A possible source of noise on the left-hand side of the ACE 1330 engines.....
    I'm new to Spyders, and ryding a 2017 F3 Ltd, which I'm now slowly breaking in (about 800 miles to date). I have been curious about a 'whirrrring' type noise from the left front side. Noticeably different and separate from exhaust or other engine sounds. Fairly soft (no wild screaming), but instinctively I sense a metallic sound. Just wondering whether that's what you are referring to? And, whether this is something I just need to become accustomed to. There has been no overheating, no low oil warnings or any alarms associated.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2021 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Default Noise

I have the base model '17 F3 with semi auto trans. When fairly new it had a small whine about 32 mph.
    Now with 1229 miles it has developed a "banshee" type noise in the 40 to 50 mph.
    Took it to my dealer Monday and was told they thought it was the rear wheel bearing.
    Spoke to them this morning and they have replaced the bearings but still have the noise.
    Dealer's rep. said that Can Am says they have 2 others doing the same thing. "Engineers
    are trying to figure out what is wrong". Am I in trouble?
    Tip
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tip View Post
    I have the base model '17 F3 with semi auto trans. When fairly new it had a small whine about 32 mph.
    Now with 1229 miles it has developed a "banshee" type noise in the 40 to 50 mph.
    Took it to my dealer Monday and was told they thought it was the rear wheel bearing.
    Spoke to them this morning and they have replaced the bearings but still have the noise.
    Dealer's rep. said that Can Am says they have 2 others doing the same thing. "Engineers
    Tip
    Tagged to see results. ~ Good luck & document everything!
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tip View Post
    Tip
    That "banshee" howling noise is a great description of what I hear on my 2016 RT LTD. Had my 3k oil change done recently and the noise seemed to disappear, but has returned. I have not asked my dealer (PitBull Powersports) about it, but wonder if I should, just to get it documented for the record.

Please keep us posted with any updates - thanks

Spyder Garage

Reviving this old discussion because I wonder if my present issue is related to what others here have noted - here's a video I made in July 2018 for reference. My service technician found a slew of ball bearings a small metal ring (see attached photos) clinging to the magnetic oil plug while doing the 3K service. At the moment the dealer is waiting to hear back from BRP to determine what they are and what will be required to repair the engine/transmission. I began a new discussion thread to get some feedback from others if this warrants a rebuild or engine/transmission rebuild. I hope any of you can offer some input at the new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    A possible source of noise on the left-hand side of the ACE 1330 engines.....
    I'm new to Spyders, and ryding a 2017 F3 Ltd, which I'm now slowly breaking in (about 800 miles to date). I have been curious about a 'whirrrring' type noise from the left front side. Noticeably different and separate from exhaust or other engine sounds. Fairly soft (no wild screaming), but instinctively I sense a metallic sound. Just wondering whether that's what you are referring to? And, whether this is something I just need to become accustomed to. There has been no overheating, no low oil warnings or any alarms associated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2021 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    “Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter and
    those who matter don't mind.”
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

2018 F3 Limited - 10th Anniversary Ed , Trickle charger, Gerbing heated clothing Black/Gold

Spyder Garage

I'm a bit surprised it wasn't mentioned earlier when this thread was created, but I believe straight cut gears have less friction than helical gears which translates to more horsepower and torque at the end of the crankshaft.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

this is aquestion rather than a reply. does anyone on here offer engine rebuild? 2015 f3s -1330 inline. i think it is probably a rod bearing. engine run on incline without enough oil in pan.?????
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

@Seattle - what ended up being the problem and solution to what you showed in your video? My Spyder has the same sound.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nmjayhawk View Post
    @Seattle - what ended up being the problem and solution to what you showed in your video? My Spyder has the same sound.
    That was covered in 'discussion thread' Seattle referred to & provided a link for in post #12 nmjayhawk; just click on the link & it'll open that thread in all it's glory (& contention)

Here's a 'non-disguised link' to the same thread for you, just to make it easier:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...C-Help!/page3&

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It appears the last time Seattle was on the forum was 10.26.20. If you really want an answer, you might have to PM him hoping he has email notifications turned on.

Spyder Garage

The metallic sound is considered “normal” for all F3 model Spyders. The exposed engine housing makes this more pronounced unlike the RT models which has plastic shrouding hiding that part of the engine. Every F3 loaner I had while my Spyder was in for service over the two year period for unrelated issues produced the same metallic noise on cold start.

“Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter and
    those who matter don't mind.”
    ... Dr. Suess

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

2018 F3 Limited - 10th Anniversary Ed , Trickle charger, Gerbing heated clothing Black/Gold

Spyder Garage

We have talked about the noise engines here before. My 2014 has always sounded like a can of marbles rattling around down there. I have not read or heard of anyone coming up with any reason for the noise. I stopped worring about it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    My Triumph Trophy SE had straight cut gears and man could it sing. After years on a BMW RT the Triumph sounded like it was coming apart until I got used to it. Spyder is whisper quiet in comparison.
    Yes, I had a Triumph Trophy TTSE too and that sounded like a tumble drier full of wrenches. It was smooth, powerful and loved to rev, but it did sound like it was coming apart at the seams, never did of course. I did have a Norton 850 Commando once that sounded like it was coming apart all the time, but of course it did, frequently, just shook itself to pieces.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver