Spyder Garage

Default All the upgrades I've done to my F3-S! (Long post)

Can-Am Spyder 2015 F3-S
    I bought my 2015 F3-S in January. It was a leftover and I chose it over the 2016s (2017s not available at my dealer) because I got a good price that gave me ample room to upgrade.

I live in Long Island, NY and it's cold in January so the first thing I did was add a windshield, heated grips and wiring for a heated jacket and gloves.

Windshield
    I added the Can-Am Blue Ridge Windshield which by itself was pretty useless. I'm 5'6" and I got a blast of wind right in my face. I added the x-creen and the combination is wonderful.

Heated Grips and Gear
    The Can-Am heated grips are great. I wear a Warm and Safe waterproof and wind proof heated jacket- excellent - and I have First Gear waterproof heated gloves. They are not as waterproof as they should be but they are warm even when wet.

Halogen Lights
    I'm kind of a nut case when it comes to visibility so the next thing I added were the Can-Am auxiliary halogen fog lamps. I have no idea how they are in fog but they are very bright and make me more visible.

Handlebar and Footboards/Pegs
    I changed the handlebar to the short reach bar which is better for me. I changed the pegs to position 3 which was a mistake and when I added footboards I put them back to position 2. I like the footboards a lot but the pegs offer better leverage on the twisties. If I was only interested in pushing the bike to its limits in the twisties I would put the pegs back on.

Urban Rack
    The F3-S doesn't have a glove box so I thought adding the Urban Rack would solve the 'where to stash' small stuff issue. Well it's a $410 piece of junk. It's plastic, doesn't seal well, and holds almost nothing. A bottle of water OR the owners manual. Don't get it.

BajaRon anti sway bar, Heim links, Laser alignment
    I added the BajaRon anti sway bar, Heim links, and got a laser alignment. I added the BajaRon bar to my RT-S and it was a great improvement. People have said that the F3 doesn't need it. Well maybe it doesn't need it but oh boy does it ride and handle better with it!!!! The Can-Am links are plastic so changing to the Heim links was a no brainer. Laser alignment is always good to do.

Rear Shock
    I changed the rear shock to the Can-Am Fox adjustable rear shock. The stock shock was 'jumping' off the line the bike was tracking on when I went over largish bumps and potholes and was pretty darn scary in the middle of a tight curve. That problem is gone with the upgraded shock and I find the ride much more comfortable. I'm a big girl so this may not be an issue for lighter weight folks.

Shad bags
    The F3-S doesn't come with any storage except for the frunk so next on my list were side bags. The frunk is great for short trips but doesn't cut it for anything longer than a weekend. I added Shad bags that Can-Am sells instead of the Can-Am bags that they also sell. I chose the Shad bags because they are waterproof and the Can-Am bags are water resistant. I am very happy with them and they hold a lot!

Belt tensioner
    I've got a lot of vibration between 65 and 71 MPH. That's from belt vibration, not engine vibration, so I got the Can-Am Idler Kit installed. The vibration is now gone. My dealer is somewhat resistant to installing non Can-Am parts/accessories so if Can-Am sells it that's what I get. There are also aftermarket parts for this problem.

Admore Smart Brake Light
    Another visibility thing. I got the Admore Smart Brake light kit from Twisted Throttle and had them install it. It has an accelerometer so it will flash rapidly when engine braking. I engine brake a lot so I am always concerned that the vehicle behind me doesn’t know that I am slowing down. This device alerts the driver behind me that I am slowing. It is also linked to the directional signals.

Third pegs
    Why oh why did I wait until now to get these? it is so much easier to get on and off the F3 with these!

I have some pictures but I have no idea how to add them. :-(

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lots of "ditto"s here on my f3s - only a couple of things done differently.

Currently looking into lighting for the Shad bags, and the bypass goes on tomorrow.

I wish we we could use fog lights but sadly (by law) we have our low beam in that spot - the real one is disabled!

Great fun ...

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

You got her set up nicely.. now to enjoy the fruits of your labor...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've read your list of add-ons with great interest! Very nice set-up!

I've got a couple of questions though:

1. Did your local dealer supply all of the add-ons? Or did you order them from somewhere else?

2. If from somewhere else, did the dealer do the installations for you?

3. If ordered online, would it be possible to provide a link for some of the items? I'm particularly interested in that Smart Brake Light.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

Thank you for that detail information. It was awesome. I would like to know what is the Third Peg look like?

As far as attaching the picture there should be a paperclip on the top, click on that. And, a pop up box will be there. All you do is drag the picture
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    I've read your list of add-ons with great interest! Very nice set-up!

I've got a couple of questions though:

1. Did your local dealer supply all of the add-ons? Or did you order them from somewhere else?

2. If from somewhere else, did the dealer do the installations for you?

3. If ordered online, would it be possible to provide a link for some of the items? I'm particularly interested in that Smart Brake Light.

Thanks!
    My local dealer got all the Can-Am add ons for me and installed them.

My dealer got the wiring for my heated gear somewhere, maybe Can-Am, and installed that.
    I bought the 3rd pegs from Lamonster Garage (lamonstergarage.com) and my dealer installed them.
    I bought the x-creen for the windshield and my hubby installed it. Many aftermarket companies sell the x-creen. You should be able to find it thru a Google search.
    I had the BajaRon bar and Heim links installed and the laser alignment done by Netzley Tire in Accord, NY. Look up Netzley Tire on FaceBook. Other Spyder aftermarket dealers also sell the BajaRon bar.
    Twisted Throttle (twistedthrottle.com) sells the Admore Smart Brake light - search 'by bike' on their site and you'll find it easily - and I had them install it also.
    Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ussoldier View Post
    Thank you for that detail information. It was awesome. I would like to know what is the Third Peg look like?

As far as attaching the picture there should be a paperclip on the top, click on that. And, a pop up box will be there. All you do is drag the picture
    The best way to look at the 3rd pegs is to go to lamonstergarage.com and search for 3rd pegs. He has lots of pictures of them. There are different styles.

I see the paperclip but that takes me to a screen - not a pop up box - that I don't understand how to use.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NewHornist View Post
    Can-Am Spyder 2015 F3-S
    I bought my 2015 F3-S in January. It was a leftover and I chose it over the 2016s (2017s not available at my dealer) because I got a good price that gave me ample room to upgrade.

I live in Long Island, NY and it's cold in January so the first thing I did was add a windshield, heated grips and wiring for a heated jacket and gloves.

Windshield
    I added the Can-Am Blue Ridge Windshield which by itself was pretty useless. I'm 5'6" and I got a blast of wind right in my face. I added the x-creen and the combination is wonderful.

Heated Grips and Gear
    The Can-Am heated grips are great. I wear a Warm and Safe waterproof and wind proof heated jacket- excellent - and I have First Gear waterproof heated gloves. They are not as waterproof as they should be but they are warm even when wet.

Halogen Lights
    I'm kind of a nut case when it comes to visibility so the next thing I added were the Can-Am auxiliary halogen fog lamps. I have no idea how they are in fog but they are very bright and make me more visible.

Handlebar and Footboards/Pegs
    I changed the handlebar to the short reach bar which is better for me. I changed the pegs to position 3 which was a mistake and when I added footboards I put them back to position 2. I like the footboards a lot but the pegs offer better leverage on the twisties. If I was only interested in pushing the bike to its limits in the twisties I would put the pegs back on.

Urban Rack
    The F3-S doesn't have a glove box so I thought adding the Urban Rack would solve the 'where to stash' small stuff issue. Well it's a $410 piece of junk. It's plastic, doesn't seal well, and holds almost nothing. A bottle of water OR the owners manual. Don't get it.

BajaRon anti sway bar, Heim links, Laser alignment
    I added the BajaRon anti sway bar, Heim links, and got a laser alignment. I added the BajaRon bar to my RT-S and it was a great improvement. People have said that the F3 doesn't need it. Well maybe it doesn't need it but oh boy does it ride and handle better with it!!!! The Can-Am links are plastic so changing to the Heim links was a no brainer. Laser alignment is always good to do.

Rear Shock
    I changed the rear shock to the Can-Am Fox adjustable rear shock. The stock shock was 'jumping' off the line the bike was tracking on when I went over largish bumps and potholes and was pretty darn scary in the middle of a tight curve. That problem is gone with the upgraded shock and I find the ride much more comfortable. I'm a big girl so this may not be an issue for lighter weight folks.

Shad bags
    The F3-S doesn't come with any storage except for the frunk so next on my list were side bags. The frunk is great for short trips but doesn't cut it for anything longer than a weekend. I added Shad bags that Can-Am sells instead of the Can-Am bags that they also sell. I chose the Shad bags because they are waterproof and the Can-Am bags are water resistant. I am very happy with them and they hold a lot!

Belt tensioner
    I've got a lot of vibration between 65 and 71 MPH. That's from belt vibration, not engine vibration, so I got the Can-Am Idler Kit installed. The vibration is now gone. My dealer is somewhat resistant to installing non Can-Am parts/accessories so if Can-Am sells it that's what I get. There are also aftermarket parts for this problem.

Admore Smart Brake Light
    Another visibility thing. I got the Admore Smart Brake light kit from Twisted Throttle and had them install it. It has an accelerometer so it will flash rapidly when engine braking. I engine brake a lot so I am always concerned that the vehicle behind me doesn’t know that I am slowing down. This device alerts the driver behind me that I am slowing. It is also linked to the directional signals.

Third pegs
    Why oh why did I wait until now to get these? it is so much easier to get on and off the F3 with these!

I have some pictures but I have no idea how to add them. :-(

A great list of farkles.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Nice list.

Not wanting a tank bag or saddles.....
    I added this trunk bag atop the back seat of my F3-S D500.
    Perfect fit & look (IMO), as if it were made exclusively for the machine & seat!
    Reworked how it attached using only 1/2 the straps w/out the bulky strap protectors (and all connector buckles along with the pad)... Sits tight to seat/doesn't move.
    Push back with my leather jacket on and it actually feels like a mini backrest with a touch of added support.

Note: Secured on rear seat via one strap (per side) wrapped around the passenger hand rail mount bolts/up to each connector on bag. (Can be removed & reattached in less than a minute.)

Cortech Super 2.0 24-Liter Motorcycle Tail Bag - Black / 13.4" L x 14.2" W x 7.5" D
    (When expanded to 16 in. wide, it basically rests on the passenger rails. Perfect fit this way too.)
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009RIG4UQ
    Last edited by TRLBLZR1; 06-16-2017 at 11:49 PM.
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TRLBLZR1 View Post
    Nice list.

Not wanting a tank bag or saddles.....
    I added this trunk bag atop the back seat of my F3-S D500.
    Perfect fit & look (IMO), as if it were made exclusively for the machine & seat!
    Reworked how it attached using only 1/2 the straps w/out the bulky strap protectors (and all connector buckles along with the pad)... Sits tight to seat/doesn't move.
    Push back with my leather jacket on and it actually feels like a mini backrest with a touch of added support.

Note: Secured on rear seat via one strap (per side) wrapped around the passenger hand rail mount bolts/up to each connector on bag. (Can be removed & reattached in less than a minute.)

Cortech Super 2.0 24-Liter Motorcycle Tail Bag - Black / 13.4" L x 14.2" W x 7.5" D
    (When expanded to 16 in. wide, it basically rests on the passenger rails. Perfect fit this way too.)
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009RIG4UQ
    It looks very nice! Thanks for posting.

Spyder Garage

If any of you are on Facebook's Spyder Experience page this post is there now with pictures.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My list

Here is my list of f3s mods - so far ...

Route 129 screen - the top of the blue ridge was right on my eye line. 129 suits me well. Gauge spoiler looked great but left me with a sore neck.

Techspec-USA tank guards - to cover scuffed paint, designed for Triumph

Performance pipe - on my ST it was mainly to reduce heat, on the f3s I really notice the 'performance' aspect, and it sounds perfect. It has the thunder baffle. Note that here in oz the f3s does not get your short muffler, it gets an RT muffler. Husband has pipe without baffle and with USA stock muffler and it is much louder.

Spyderpops lights on a arms and near frunk lid, great.

Add-on mirrors - I am short and stock mirrors, fully adjusted, give me no view of traffic. These are wonderful.

Painted some trim black, including its mouth on the grill and the frame thingos.

Swapped to husband Jeff's Daytona black wheels cos he wanted the silver ones, no argument from me.

Utopia drivers backrest. Jeff made a very solid bracket for the frame under the passenger seat so we just move the backrest when grandson comes for a ride.

Tried to add sound - red speakers and all - but the amp failed and we are still faffing around..

Added Shad for brp bags, big enough for my helmet. About to add lights to the bags.

Added rt take-off swaybar (Jeff scored the bajaron from my old St), and links.

Swapped to brp two up shock, works well for me.

painted short reach bars brp red, just for fun

oh and 12v plug for my heated vest...
    Last edited by loisk; 06-17-2017 at 07:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Here is my list of f3s mods - so far ...

Route 129 screen - the top of the blue ridge was right on my eye line. 129 suits me well. Gauge spoiler looked great but left me with a sore neck.

Techspec-USA tank guards - to cover scuffed paint, designed for Triumph

Performance pipe - on my ST it was mainly to reduce heat, on the f3s I really notice the 'performance' aspect, and it sounds perfect. It has the thunder baffle. Note that here in oz the f3s does not get your short muffler, it gets an RT muffler. Husband has pipe without baffle and with USA stock muffler and it is much louder.

Spyderpops lights on a arms and near frunk lid, great.

Add-on mirrors - I am short and stock mirrors, fully adjusted, give me no view of traffic. These are wonderful.

Painted some trim black, including its mouth on the grill and the frame thingos.

Swapped to husband Jeff's Daytona black wheels cos he wanted the silver ones, no argument from me.

Utopia drivers backrest. Jeff made a very solid bracket for the frame under the passenger seat so we just move the backrest when grandson comes for a ride.

Tried to add sound - red speakers and all - but the amp failed and we are still faffing around..

Added Shad for brp bags, big enough for my helmet. About to add lights to the bags.

Added rt take-off swaybar (Jeff scored the bajaron from my old St), and links.

Swapped to brp two up shock, works well for me.

painted short reach bars brp red, just for fun

oh and 12v plug for my heated vest...
    Nice upgrades! Where are you getting the lights for the Shad bags?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi, about to try out Tricled f3t pannier led things - they should fit ours because by law we are wired up for separate rear indicators, whereas yours are all in one units. Just waiting on delivery, fingers crossed. Will post more later. I am imagining they will line up with the silver reflector on the bags, with a quick disconnect fitting for when bags are taken off. Maybe contact Tricled? They may have one in the pipeline. Admore do one too but only for shad bags with red or smoked grey lens/reflectors.

These ones -
    Last edited by loisk; 06-17-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hi, about to try out Tricled f3t pannier led things - they should fit ours because by law we are wired up for separate rear indicators, whereas yours are all in one units. Just waiting on delivery, fingers crossed. Will post more later. I am imagining they will line up with the silver reflector on the bags, with a quick disconnect fitting for when bags are taken off. Maybe contact Tricled? They may have one in the pipeline. Admore do one too but only for shad bags with red or smoked grey lens/reflectors.

These ones -
    Thanks for the info! When I first read your post and saw 'ours' and 'yours' I thought but wait we have the same bike. Then I saw you are from Australia. Looking forward to hearing more when you work it out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NewHornist View Post
    Thanks for the info! When I first read your post and saw 'ours' and 'yours' I thought but wait we have the same bike. Then I saw you are from Australia. Looking forward to hearing more when you work it out.

Oops, sorry,

Spyder Garage

Oops, sorry,
    No need to be sorry. I got a good laugh out of my mistake.