Spyder Garage

Default Kill Switch Malfunction

We're riding in SW Utah the next two weeks and today I experienced my bike shutting off at least four times (like I'd hit the Kill Switch but I didn't). We finally realized after much consternation that the Kill Switch is super touchy and the vibration from the ride was shutting it down every now and then. It get's stuck in the Kill position even though it's not been pushed. Anyway, John put a screw in it so it can't be activated. Any ideas for another fix? We took it apart and found printed wires and circuit boards. It's not like a typical old school switch. We don't know if getting a new kill switch will help because the rocker switch presses against a rubber plunger switch (?) and John doesn't know if the plunger is the problem or the rocker switch. We're confused, Please help. 2013 ST-L
    Last edited by JacqueTanis; 06-15-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Since this is a problem that I don't remember coming up before. So being a rare problem, I can say that the kill switch is very reliable. So I would think just replacing the right hand switch assembly with a new one, will fix your problem.

From Cheap cycle parts.
    RH Housing Switch, 710003921, $410.99

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
    We're riding in SW Utah the next two weeks and today I experienced my bike shutting off at least four times (like I'd hit the Kill Switch but I didn't). We finally realized after much consternation that the Kill Switch is super touchy and the vibration from the ride was shutting it down every now and then. It get's stuck in the Kill position even though it's not been pushed. Anyway, John put a screw in it so it can't be activated. Any ideas for another fix? We took it apart and found printed wires and circuit boards. It's not like a typical old school switch. We don't know if getting a new kill switch will help because the rocker switch presses against a rubber plunger switch (?) and John doesn't know if the plunger is the problem or the rocker switch. We're confused, Please help. 2013 ST-L
    Have you considered going to the Moto-Zoo dealer in St. George (SW Utah) to let them diagnose it? I've never heard of a kill switch failure in all the years owning motorcycles; there has to be something else going on which could affect your safety.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Since this is a problem that I don't remember coming up before. So being a rare problem, I can say that the kill switch is very reliable. So I would think just replacing the right hand switch assembly with a new one, will fix your problem.

From Cheap cycle parts.
    RH Housing Switch, 710003921, $410.99
    $349 at powersportswarehouse.com

Not a cheap fix
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I had that problem with my 2012 would not shut off you can try contact cleaner and flip it back and forth you got nothing to lose

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtoro1 View Post
    I had that problem with my 2012 would not shut off you can try contact cleaner and flip it back and forth you got nothing to lose
    We tried that, didn't work but good thought . the problem is that the vibration of riding juggles the kill switch, which is really touchy. You just brush your finger across it with a feather touch and it shuts down.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    $349 at powersportswarehouse.com

Not a cheap fix
    Thanks so much, we may have to get one ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Have you considered going to the Moto-Zoo dealer in St. George (SW Utah) to let them diagnose it? I've never heard of a kill switch failure in all the years owning motorcycles; there has to be something else going on which could affect your safety.
    It's definitely the kill switch. Just a feather touch will shut it down so it shuts down with the vibration from riding. Took us quite a few attempts to diagnose the problem but we finally figured it out. We're in Farmington, Utah now. John wedged a screw in (did not drill a hole, just wedged it in) and our problem is solved. Would rather have a more professional fix though LOL