Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Camping while touring

I want to start doing something different with touring.
    I have no experience with motorcycle touring, but I recently acquired a 622 trailer and will use it primarily for me and Ann to go to the golf courses to play a round, but the alternate use would be to do some touring.
    I plan to try to camp in order to hold down costs, but I don't know how to find places to pitch a tent and camp for the night.
    If anyone knows how to find campsites while on the road your assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your best source of camping might just come from the bicyclists. They've got all of the lightweight gear, and compact camping techniques all figured-out already...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We have been doing this for years. Started out with a tent, now tow a pop up camper.
    Several ways to find campsites, one way is to go to a KOA and get their book, or log into KOA.com and looking at their nation wide map. We like KOA campgrounds because they are motorcycle friendly.
    Depending if you are planning out your entire trip with each nights campsite booked in advance, or if you are like we are where we have a set destination in mind, but it may vary a little on when we arrive. This way leaves us more at liberty to stop and see things, drive a road some local told us about, or not pay for something we cant use due to inclimate weather.
    We will then look at the route we are taking, stop at about 2pm we stop for lunch, look at what campground are close by the route we are taking, looking them up on the phone, computer, or GPS, and then book the site for that night. This prevents us from ever not having a place because of all sights booked.
    We love being free to stop when we want and wherever we want without having to push through rain, wind, tiredness, or golden opportunities just to have to make it to the next location.

2015-08-19 19.46.33.jpg2012-07-25 20.08.23.jpg2014-07-15 18.38.49.jpgJust a few places we have stayed.
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 06-14-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default camping while touring

We love to camp also, but at my age I no longer want to sleep on the ground so we pull a pop up tent trailer, and after about 3 or four days on the road we will get a hotel room for a night then back to camping, some time we stay in KOA's and sometimes in isolated camp grounds. There is an internet site , freecamping.net that shows many camping places.
    Camping upon the Crest 4-19 003.jpg Spyder camping 4-13-14 010.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    We love to camp also, but at my age I no longer want to sleep on the ground so we pull a pop up tent trailer, and after about 3 or four days on the road we will get a hotel room for a night then back to camping, some time we stay in KOA's and sometimes in isolated camp grounds. There is an internet site , freecamping.net that shows many camping places.
    Camping upon the Crest 4-19 003.jpg Spyder camping 4-13-14 010.jpg
    You chose a good color of Spyder too!
    I tried freecamping .net and it goes to a game site.
    Could it possibly be freecampsites.net?
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 06-14-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have always had good luck at state parks and they are usually priced very reasonable and have hot showers. I have even been allowed in when the campgrounds were full since I only had a motorcycle and a small tent they will stick me back in a corner somewhere which is fine with me. I have had them charge me as little as $5 to do this, probably stuck the $5 in his pocket, but I have a place for the night so I don't really care. One trick I use if there are no camping areas around or they are all full and it is getting late is to find a country cemetery and spend the night at the rear of the cemetery. I'm always respectful and stay in the wooded area away from folks final resting spots. For some reason it is usually very quiet and no visitors at night. I have asked farmers if I could pitch a tent in a corner of a field and have had luck with that, sometimes that comes with an invite for a nice home cooked supper or breakfast. There really are still plenty of good folks out there. I have slept in some really strange places over the last 40 years including on a picnic table, under a picnic table (raining), on a church bus parked beside a church, and probably the best spot was in an old caboose at a small train museum in Alabama. I had taken the train ride and when we got back it was storming big time and also getting late. The manager offered me the caboose and I took him up on it. Be creative, don't be afraid to ask someone about camping, and most of all have fun. As I said, there are still good people in this country and they enjoy talking and sharing their area's history with a old nut who is traveling on a motorcycle. Folks ask me how I can afford to take off on my bike and be gone for 6 weeks or more at a time, now you know my secret. Look at what hikers and bicycle riders use for camping. I have a nice dry tent, air mattress, and warm sleeping bag and they ALL will fit in one saddlebag on my RT.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I plan to try to camp in order to hold down costs, but I don't know how to find places to pitch a tent and camp for the night.
    If anyone knows how to find campsites while on the road your assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Joe
    We have found this useful in the past, whether tent, RV or car camping.

https://www.allstays.com/
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default camping spot

I have no experience with motorcycle touring, but I recently acquired a 622 trailer and will use it primarily for me and Ann to go to the golf courses to play a round, but the alternate use would be to do some touring.

Thank you,
    Joe
    Go to recreation.gov for camping
    Get yourself a senior pass,its only a one time $10 dollar fee. With this pass u will get discount camping,some places 50%
    It will also get you in national parks free or at a discount. You must be 65 or older though

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Missus draws the line, when Room Service shuts down before Midnight...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Camping

Quote Originally Posted by duke50 View Post
    Get yourself a senior pass,its only a one time $10 dollar fee. With this pass u will get discount camping,some places 50%
    It will also get you in national parks free or at a discount. You must be 65 or older though
    Corps of Engineers campsites are 50% off for over 65 years old

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joerolwing View Post
    Corps of Engineers campsites are 50% off for over 65 years old
    You must have the senior pass for the discount

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by duke50 View Post
    The "Golden Age" pass is now available for 62 and up. Sad part is that the fee is now $80. Still rather cheap since its a lifetime pass. I'm still doing $80 a year.

Spyder Garage

Default camping while touring

Thank you,
    Joe

Joe,

Kind of surprised that no one mentioned typing in state parks/campgrounds into your GPS. Will locate what is available in the area, select it as your new destination and viola you're there. State and national campgrounds are usually the cheapest and KOA is usually your most expensive and most times the noisiest because everyone and their spawn stay there. JMO FWIW

Al
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post

Joe,

Kind of surprised that no one mentioned typing in state parks/campgrounds into your GPS. Will locate what is available in the area, select it as your new destination and viola you're there. State and national campgrounds are usually the cheapest and KOA is usually your most expensive and most times the noisiest because everyone and their spawn stay there. JMO FWIW

Al
    Thanks Al, you are always a big help, and still. Since we have shared a phone call or two and I have learned of your extensive experience, I thank you.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Spelling and grammar DO still count, don't they?

Joe,

Al

Sorry, can't let this go. I think you mean 'voila', not 'viola'.

Could you possibly not use all 'bold' font in your posts? I'd much appreciate it. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default The best camping is west of the Mississippi

Joe,

Al
    Jesus, Al, turn the volume down a little, would ya?

Anyway, it's all well and good to seek out developed campgrounds in National Parks, etc. and maybe that's all you have in the Midwest and East. But west of the Mississippi, we have BLM land as well as National Forests, and those are some of the best lands to experience the true outdoors if you're of the mind to 'rough it' a little.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It didn't sound any louder to me.

Spyder Garage

http://www.motocampers.com/ is a good resource for motorcycle camping.

Our camping adventures include going to the beach:

2 Spyders & 2 Trailers full (Large).jpg

20150914_134431 - Copy.jpg
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In 2012 I set out on a trip from Las Vegas to Indiana with the intent to camp. I was traveling with a girlfriend and two couples. My friend and I practiced setting up the tents in her living room while our husbands sat there laughing. We went to dinner after setting up our tents on the first night and while we were gone it stormed and tipped our tents over and got everything wet. The next night it was storming as we got to our intended destination and my friend said Hell no Im not camping so we checked in to a Holiday Inn Express. We spent two nights in Eureka Springs AR which would have been ok if I hadn't given the tent site with soft ground to the couple with a pop up camper. I had a blow up mattress that took up most of the tent and I was set up on rocks so to get out of the tent without kneeling on rocks I would unzip the door and bounce off the mattress to launch myself through the door.

We wound up shipping the camping gear home and we stayed in hotels instead. I have not camped again.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Camping Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    We have been doing this for years. Started out with a tent, now tow a pop up camper.
    Several ways to find campsites, one way is to go to a KOA and get their book, or log into KOA.com and looking at their nation wide map. We like KOA campgrounds because they are motorcycle friendly.
    Depending if you are planning out your entire trip with each nights campsite booked in advance, or if you are like we are where we have a set destination in mind, but it may vary a little on when we arrive. This way leaves us more at liberty to stop and see things, drive a road some local told us about, or not pay for something we cant use due to inclimate weather.
    We will then look at the route we are taking, stop at about 2pm we stop for lunch, look at what campground are close by the route we are taking, looking them up on the phone, computer, or GPS, and then book the site for that night. This prevents us from ever not having a place because of all sights booked.
    We love being free to stop when we want and wherever we want without having to push through rain, wind, tiredness, or golden opportunities just to have to make it to the next location.

2015-08-19 19.46.33.jpg2012-07-25 20.08.23.jpg2014-07-15 18.38.49.jpgJust a few places we have stayed.
    If you're a member of AAA, you might stop in and obtain a camping guide. Or a friend could probably pick one up for you.

-tom

Spyder Garage

More than 25 years ago I set out to do a little annual camping motorcycle trip. This became a ritual for me for many years. I packed a tent, sleeping bag, blow up mattress, etc. and set out for my solo 10 day journey. I toured the entire west coast and enjoyed it a lot. After doing this for 5 or 6 years, and NEVER pitching the tent or using the sleeping bag, I gave the tent away to a couple of little girls playing in the Motel parking lot at South Tahoe NV. I use to camp a lot when I was younger and liked it a lot. But, as I got older, I got over it. Motels are not that much more expensive and an individual hot shower and comfortable bed are worthwhile.....

BTW I still have the unused sleeping bag

R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    More than 25 years ago I set out to do a little annual camping motorcycle trip. This became a ritual for me for many years. I packed a tent, sleeping bag, blow up mattress, etc. and set out for my solo 10 day journey. I toured the entire west coast and enjoyed it a lot. After doing this for 5 or 6 years, and NEVER pitching the tent or using the sleeping bag, I gave the tent away to a couple of little girls playing in the Motel parking lot at South Tahoe NV. I use to camp a lot when I was younger and liked it a lot. But, as I got older, I got over it. Motels are not that much more expensive and an individual hot shower and comfortable bed are worthwhile.....

BTW I still have the unused sleeping bag

R
    I went to the REI warehouse sale last year in Feb. and stole (got a great deal) on a tent, sleeping bag, air mattress etc. (2 man tent). I went to Americade last year and it rained for 2 days. Then there were the showers, that refused to accept my quarters...... get undressed get dressed, try another shower etc. etc. etc. finally the forth shower worked, cold water. I came home and put everything I bought on eBay and made money. Motels and hotels for me. I used to love camping........ Why is it always sunny in camping pictures?
    Last edited by Crisis; 06-15-2017 at 05:49 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    We will then look at the route we are taking, stop at about 2pm we stop for lunch, look at what campground are close by the route we are taking, looking them up on the phone, computer, or GPS, and then book the site for that night.

Joe,

Al
    As mentioned above, you can use your GPS. However be aware that most of the road information is what is updated on your GPS with each update, not always places of business. I have had my GPS route me to campgrounds, gas stations, and other things that are not longer there. It sucks when you are dead tired, then rode out of your way for a place to stay only to find it closed. That is why we use the phone or computer also. We verify that the place is still in business, then call for reservation before we route ourselves to the campground.

For the people who have had bad experiences camping and gave up because of it, just a quick question. Have you ever ridden in the rain, strong winds, or excessive heat and been miserable while doing it? Do you still ride or did you give up and sell the bike after the first rainstorm you rode in?

When camping we have many people stop and talk to us about our Spyder, the camper, and just set and chat. We have met some great people and became good friends with them, that seldom if ever happens when staying in a hotel.

All you are correct, camping is not for everyone, but my wife and I sure enjoy it.

Spyder Garage

Default Camping while touring

We pull our camp trailer with the intent on using it most of the time as it gives us the freedom of stopping and camping where you could never find a hotel anywhere close.
    If the weather gets real bad we book a room and hunker down. It seems to me that the trips we remember most are the ones that we spent camping , we have had some great times with total strangers we have met at campgrounds and made some lifelong friends. We stop and set up camp and 9 out of ten times someone stops by to check out our setup.
    Wallowa Lake camp.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Why camp while touring?

I've enjoyed reading the comments on this thread, even though some, while amusing, are a little off topic. The fellow who started the thread was asking for advice on finding camping spots while touring. It's a good question, one Jane and I will have to deal with when we start camp-touring beyond the western third of the country.

Out west, we are blessed with so many public lands, some developed as Parks and others left in their 'natural' state. We have national forests, BLM, monuments plus all the regional and state parks scattered throughout the West. It's rarely an issue finding a place to throw down a sleeping bag for the night. Plus, except for certain times of the year, or in really wet regions like Seattle, mostly there isn't much reason to fear a drenching rain ruining the experience.

But, outside the west, we are expecting un-developed camping spots to be pretty nonexistent and developed ones (public) to be sparse. Plus, torrential rains, bugs, humidity and the occasional tornado make us a little apprehensive about the prospect of camp-touring by motorcycle for a month or more at a time. So, we're thinking we may just have to bite the bullet and do motels instead. We're not softies; we enjoy the challenge and exhilaration of adventure. But we want to be realistic about it.

I'd love to get some thoughts on that from those east of the Mississippi who do extensive camp-touring. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum