Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Custom fitting of helmet

My wife and I both experience some discomfort of our ears on a long ride; there just is not enough room at that place on the helmet (HJC modular). I'm thinking of removing, compressing or melting a section of the foam around the ears to provide more room there without compromising the fit (which is excellent) everywhere else.

Has anyone had this issue? If so, how did you solve it?

Thought I'd see if there is any wisdom on this before I start on it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can use a tablespoon to compress stuff up in there...
    DON'T try to melt it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    DON'T try to melt it!
    Why do you say that?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have had a problem with pressure on the forehead on a few helmets and used the spoon trick mentioned above. Don't try to melt anything,I don't believe you can accurately control the reaction. You probably don't need very much change so go slow. Maybe the pads need to be changed to a smaller pad. I know HJC makes different size pads so contact then directly (google them.)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I have had a problem with pressure on the forehead on a few helmets and used the spoon trick mentioned above. Don't try to melt anything,I don't believe you can accurately control the reaction. You probably don't need very much change so go slow. Maybe the pads need to be changed to a smaller pad. I know HJC makes different size pads so contact then directly (google them.)
    The different size pads are to adjust around the cheeks and crown; there are no pads around the ears.

I was thinking of heating the spoon a little to make the compression easier and more permanent. Don't worry; I know the foam is there for a good reason!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

1. What if the helmet goes up in flames?
    2. Adding that much heat could affect the structural integrity of more of the foam than you think...

...or even the shell itself!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    1. What if the helmet goes up in flames?
    2. Adding that much heat could affect the structural integrity of more of the foam than you think...

...or even the shell itself!
    Oh, I see what you are concerned about. I wasn't planning on using an open flame! If I'm that dumb, I probably don't need a helmet at all. My father used to say "no sense, no feeling".

Some places I found on the internet talked about using a heated spoon or some other piece of metal to gently 'melt' (i.e. soften and depress) the foam. I should have been more specific!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    My wife and I both experience some discomfort of our ears on a long ride; there just is not enough room at that place on the helmet (HJC modular). I'm thinking of removing, compressing or melting a section of the foam around the ears to provide more room there without compromising the fit (which is excellent) everywhere else.

I had this problem on an HJC modular, especially on one ear which is a bit higher than the other. Tried compressing the foam with a tool (heat is not necessary). But what really fixed the problem was buying a Shoei Neotec.

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a Scorpion modular with plenty of room in the ear area. I even have my 20s speakers in there and still have room.

Cheek pads are very thick though & presses a lot when the helmet is closed.

Makes it hard to close my mouth but it's getting better as I wear the helmet more.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnn R View Post
    I had this problem on an HJC modular, especially on one ear which is a bit higher than the other. Tried compressing the foam with a tool (heat is not necessary). But what really fixed the problem was buying a Shoei Neotec.
    I'm beginning to realize that the HJC may just be shaped wrong for our heads. We just got them and I hate to think we wasted all that money. If I can't figure out how to get some relief from the ear pressure though, we may just have to bite the bullet and shop around some more.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh, I see what you are concerned about. I wasn't planning on using an open flame! If I'm that dumb, I probably don't need a helmet at all. My father used to say "no sense, no feeling".

Some places I found on the internet talked about using a heated spoon or some other piece of metal to gently 'melt' (i.e. soften and depress) the foam. I should have been more specific!
    I don't think that I was thinking specifically about using an open flame...
    ...Although there are some really creative Darwin Award Candidates always waiting to be discovered!
    I was thinking that it might be tough to keep the heat level at just the bare minimum necessary to modify the exact amount of foam necessary...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Every helmet I have purchased gets placed on my lap and I gently beat the Styrofoam with a hammer till it fits my nugget like a glove.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Every helmet I have purchased gets placed on my lap and I gently beat the Styrofoam with a hammer till it fits my nugget like a glove.
    That's one way to do it I suppose!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have a G-Max helmet that was tight on my forhead and left a red spot. I took the liner out and shaved some of the styrofoam out with a dremel tool. This worked well for me. Never thought about using a spoon but will try that next time.
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Wish I could do that with my cheek pads. Maybe I should try taking out some of the stuffing if I can.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    Wish I could do that with my cheek pads. Maybe I should try taking out some of the stuffing if I can.
    I found this advice about helmet fitment at RevZilla.com to be helpful in understanding why helmets need to fit a certain way; https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...et-fitment-101
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My right ear hurts on long rides and I have the 20s. I tried all kind of things to no avail. Good question, I will be following this closely.
    2016 RTL , Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet-mounted speakers rub on ears?

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird1 View Post
    My right ear hurts on long rides and I have the 20s. I tried all kind of things to no avail. Good question, I will be following this closely.
    Yep, I have the Sena20S too; I think the speakers are the problem. Just too thick. They have some velcro backing and such; will try to remove those and see if I can fit them deeper into the small helmet cavity.

Helmet speakers-1.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The different size pads are to adjust around the cheeks and crown; there are no pads around the ears.

I was thinking of heating the spoon a little to make the compression easier and more permanent. Don't worry; I know the foam is there for a good reason!
    I had the same problem with my Kabuto helmet. Getting the next size smaller cheek pads solved the problem. On the Kabuto the cheek pads just snap in and out so relatively easy fix. New pads were about $22.

You can use the spoon method on the "hard" foam (forehead area) and you should be OK but don't apply any heat or you risk melting the foam (or distorting it). You need a consistent fit across your forehead for adequate protection in the event of a collision.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, I have the Sena20S too; I think the speakers are the problem. Just too thick. They have some velcro backing and such; will try to remove those and see if I can fit them deeper into the small helmet cavity.

Helmet speakers-1.jpg
    Well, what I found is that the Sena came with a multitude of pads in different thicknesses that attach with velcro behind the speaker, then to the velcro on the helmet itself. I was using the middle thickness (see picture) pad. I removed those pads completely and just put a thin supplied velcro patch (see picture) behind the speaker. This put each hard surfaced speaker about 1/4" closer to the helmet and away from the ear. It feels better already. I'll try that for awhile and hopefully avoid having to squash the foam liner of the helmet altogether.

Helmet speakers-2.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I know there will be people who wag their fingers and say I'm committing some sin against the helmet gods, that's OK, it's my head not theirs. I cut out a circular section of the Styrofoam for the speakers to sit in. They are then underneath the soft liner in the ear cavities. No pressure on the ears.

H2O

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by H2O View Post
    I know there will be people who wag their fingers and say I'm committing some sin against the helmet gods, that's OK, it's my head not theirs. I cut out a circular section of the Styrofoam for the speakers to sit in. They are then underneath the soft liner in the ear cavities. No pressure on the ears.

H2O
    In my helmet, there is actually a depression in the polystyrene liner for the speakers. I thought I might have to deepen that depression somewhat because the speakers as they came out of the package seemed too thick for the existing depression. But, now I've removed the extra padding on the back of the speakers, they seem to fit okay in the depression.

My older HJC helmets from 10 years back didn't have an accommodation for the speakers; the newer HJC helmets we got do have that.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-14-2017 at 02:02 PM. Reason: correction
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

There is the polystyrene layer and sometimes a plastic cover on the inside of the helmet.
    On my helmet, I had to reshape the depression for the helmet speakers. I separated the plastic cover from the polystyrene. Then I cut a small amount of the polystyrene from around my ear. Next I used my heat gun to soften the plastic inner liner to match the profile of the new cut out in the polystyrene. Cut the foam, don't try to melt it.
    Seems like a lot of work but I'm very good with my hands. (Ladies please take note, I'm still looking for a date for SpyderQuest).
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I found this advice about helmet fitment at RevZilla.com to be helpful in understanding why helmets need to fit a certain way; https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...et-fitment-101
    That's the best explanation of how to fit a helmet I've ever read. I knew most of that because of experience, but there were a few new things in there, and it's all in one place.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

again no one said the best answer, cut off your ears.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME