Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Is it true that Spyders do not need to be alined?

I am pretty sure I need an alinement. My bike vibrates somewhat and we have loads of holes in the roads, speed bumps, etc here....it makes sense to me to do this. But I am told that NO that spyders do not need this. I do not believe this of course. Why would laser alinement exist for spyders? Does BRP say no to this. I want to be able to make my case well. Remember I am in Mexico not the USA. Thanks everyone for any help!

btw I had a silent heart attack and am recovering, and I do not want to sell my bike, although the doctor is encouraging me to do just this.....I am fighting it like a bangee. I don't think it is necesary to sell my bike. I love it!
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT SM6 with 400 miles 5/2015, 1800 8/5/2015, 3000 8/30/2015
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers

Spyder Garage

back my friend. Was thinking about you just a couple weeks ago.

If you have not had an alignment you probably do need one. The advice that don't need it, is bogus. In most cases, they come from the factory needing one.

I know you are in Mexico and that might put a crimp on getting the "right stuff." Recommend is the "ROLO" laser alignment. That has now been around for a few years. Done "right" your should track like it is on rails--given no additional issues.

I was a skeptic--until I had both my done by Squared Away when they were up here visiting. No longer a skeptic.

Let us know what you do.

RE: Health. Stuff does happen. I had three heart procedures and then a hip replacement last year. Actually...I am now good. Just re-bought a two wheeler in addition to my two Spyders. Don't sell the Spyder is my advice.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-12-2017 at 05:16 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope that you continue to heal up, and can soon get back to a completely normal lifestyle!
    And yes: Spyders most absolutely DO need to be laser-aligned!
    I'm just not sure where you'd go down there to get it done...
    PM SpyderAnn1: she and her "hugsband" travel all over the USA aligning Spyders. She probably would be able to give you the best advice about it!

Here's a link to them:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...Away-Alignment
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Even BRP recommended I do this. But here in Mexico the Technicians say NO. They have been pretty much putting me down on this, and I am tired of it, I paid really good money for my bike and I should be able to get things taken care of, like a basic thing as Alignment.

Ah you guys are sweet! Thank you so much for the welcome back! haha, just been dealing with life and my "issues" haha, Love it here, it always makes me feel welcome and great!
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers

Spyder Garage

Welcome Back! to this site.

I am glad to see your posts/ threads again. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Not the sales

Mia not the sales we will find solution to the alignment if necessary buy a laser alignment equipment

Greetings, Mia

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ALIGNMENT

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    back my friend. Was thinking about you just a couple weeks ago.

If you have not had an alignment you probably do need one. The advice that don't need it, is bogus. In most cases, they come from the factory needing one.

I know you are in Mexico and that might put a crimp on getting the "right stuff." Recommend is the "ROLO" laser alignment. That has now been around for a few years. Done "right" your should track like it is on rails--given no additional issues.

I was a skeptic--until I had both my done by Squared Away when they were up here visiting. No longer a skeptic.

Let us know what you do.

RE: Health. Stuff does happen. I had three heart procedures and then a hip replacement last year. Actually...I am now good. Just re-bought a two wheeler in addition to my two Spyders. Don't sell the Spyder is my advice.
    .................. Hi Laura SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Sorry to hear about your health issues ...sending many ......... now to the alignment !!!! .... IMHO , if you have " vibrations " I don't think it's " ALIGNMENT " related....... An alignment issue is more likely to show up in un-even tire WEAR...... I would get a High Speed Spin Balance done at an automotive shop before an alignment ( they can do Spyder front wheels - only )....once this has eliminated BAD TIRES ..... I would only get the LAZER alignment using the ROLO / TRU TRAC system ( BRP's sucks )........ PS< at the Homecoming I cornered the group from Mexico but they were not familiar with your name ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .................. Hi Laura SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Sorry to hear about your health issues ...sending many ......... now to the alignment !!!! .... IMHO , if you have " vibrations " I don't think it's " ALIGNMENT " related....... An alignment issue is more likely to show up in un-even tire WEAR...... I would get a High Speed Spin Balance done at an automotive shop before an alignment ( they can do Spyder front wheels - only )....once this has eliminated BAD TIRES ..... I would only get the LAZER alignment using the ROLO / TRU TRAC system ( BRP's sucks )........ PS< at the Homecoming I cornered the group from Mexico but they were not familiar with your name ........ Mike
    haha well they know me as Mia. That is why. But they do know me! haha, I don't ride much with them due to the crazy speed they go at, and I am thinking of going on my own and meeting them wherever it is we are going instead. After all I have someone who follows me the whole way anyway (for security reasons just in case someone wants to mess with me). Otherwise I go on my own everywhere on it anyway. It is my go to vehicle. haha, not that the doctor likes that. Today has been good, no chest bothering me like it tries to do sometimes. Oh well, getting old sucks....big time.

I will look into the tires and balancing and more, going to figure this out so I am more comfortable on it! Thank you Mike!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad you're posting here again. I'm sorry to hear about your health issue. Though I don't blame you for resisting on giving up Spyder-Riding, I hope you'll take care of yourself.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Also good advice. I am not as good mechanically as BlueKnight.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes a laser alignment is the best place to start.

If you cannot get onto someone where you are, a fellow here in Australia built his own set up from easily available materials. We used it all over Australia before anyone had any other laser system. If you need his contact-instructions, let me know and I shall find and pass on the info. You can then do it yourself.

Spyder Garage

i hope you heal fast. my bike was not out by much, but after it was done, it made a bid change in the bike
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default ALIGNMENT & VIBRATIONS

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Also good advice. I am not as good mechanically as BlueKnight.
    Thanks for the compliment, but imho the alignment would literally have to be off the charts to be FELT .... annnnnnnd if it were that bad the tires would have SHREDDED ....... I remember another member ( from Fla. ) reporting that His front tires started showing cord on the inside edges after only 700 miles ..... that was the worst in my memory .....Why He let it go that long ..... I really think Tire imbalance is the cause ...... possibly BEARINGS , but I doubt it......................Laura , what tires do you have on the front and rear ????? .................Mike

Spyder Garage

Just stock tires still. Getting close to putting on a new one on the back, I want a Yokohama I think, but I am not there yet hehe.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wish you the best and keep riding !

Spyder Garage

Default Bienvenida denuevo...👍

So nice to see your posting once again.. sorry to hear about your health and hope you are controlling it. 's
    The alignment is needed on any vehicle that has adjustable settings. It will help the handling in some cases quite a bit. In your case I would recommend it as your roads are like the ones back home nd they do knock the alignment out quite easily. But it will not help with vibrations. As Mike said check ghe wheels but also all the front end joints. Your roads are rough on them...be well...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Alignment

Bring it to me. I'll align it. You need a trip to Las Vegas for rest and recuperation. We will get you.....SQUARED AWAY!! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Bring it to me. I'll align it. You need a trip to Las Vegas for rest and recuperation. We will get you.....SQUARED AWAY!! Joe
    Joe,
    Who "rests and recuperates" in Las Vegas?
    I thought that it was all about "Recreating and Repeating"!

But then: that's not a bad idea either!!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-13-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beadaholic View Post
    I am told that NO that spyders do not need this. I do not believe this of course. Why would laser alinement exist for spyders? Does BRP say no to this.
    Are you serious? This is a bad joke, right?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Are you serious? This is a bad joke, right?
    No joke. It looks like BRP is teaching the guys here in Mexico this. They tell me even the manual says nothing about getting a Spyder Aligned. I have been made fun of, eyes rolled, and comments that is close to bullying. I find this so frustrating because this is what I am dealing with here. Because they don't want o invest in the equipment and I was told this isn't something that is needed....that they can basically eyeball it, I don't want it eyeballed, I want it right. I also get this kind of crap I feel, because I am a woman and I am dealing with "macho" attitudes in Mexico. BRP doesn't take real good care of us in Mexico and we are having issues overall with many things. Not sure what will happen. Sadly.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No joke. It looks like BRP is teaching the guys here in Mexico this. They tell me even the manual says nothing about getting a Spyder Aligned. I have been made fun of, eyes rolled, and comments that is close to bullying. I find this so frustrating because this is what I am dealing with here. Because they don't want o invest in the equipment and I was told this isn't something that is needed....that they can basically eyeball it, I don't want it eyeballed, I want it right. I also get this kind of crap I feel, because I am a woman and I am dealing with "macho" attitudes in Mexico. BRP doesn't take real good care of us in Mexico and we are having issues overall with many things. Not sure what will happen. Sadly.
    Sorry to hear that. Anyway, I guess you've learned by now that even Spyders need wheels balanced and aligned. No matter what they tell you in the shop, BRP would not advise otherwise. Not necessarily laser aligned though. First get your wheels balanced and then work on alignment. Is there any way you could learn to do that yourself? Or, if you're not mechanically inclined, are there other riders where you live that could try it? You're not likely to make things worse than they already are.

And, just getting new tires isn't going to solve much (except maybe the balancing issue - be sure to have them balanced by a shop you trust ... doesn't have to be a motorcycle shop either). In fact getting new tires without getting the alignment fixed is just going to shorten the life of your new tires.

Where in Mexico are you? Did you get the Spyder down there or take it down there? Do you have trouble getting a good grade of fuel (not that it has anything to do with the chassis performance - just wondering if you're in a big city or the boonies.

Finally, have you tried going to the BRP website and submitting a complaint about this issue of service in Mexico?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Alignment isn't the likely cause of vibration ... check other things first

I am pretty sure I need an alinement. My bike vibrates somewhat and we have loads of holes in the roads, speed bumps, etc here....it makes sense to me to do this. But I am told that NO that spyders do not need this. I do not believe this of course. Why would laser alinement exist for spyders? Does BRP say no to this. I want to be able to make my case well. Remember I am in Mexico not the USA. Thanks everyone for any help!
    I just re-read your post. I'm not sure you need an alignment based on the symptoms you have described. Alignment would be an indicated problem if a) your bike wanders or pulls to one side while driving in a straight line or b) your tires are wearing excessively and unevenly on one side or the other.

Vibration could be any number of things, including but not exclusively out-of-balance wheels. What speed does the vibration occur? When did you first notice it - or has it always been there since you bought it? Is it only since driving it in Mexico on bad roads (road surface itself can cause vibration)?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post

Where in Mexico are you? Did you get the Spyder down there or take it down there? Do you have trouble getting a good grade of fuel (not that it has anything to do with the chassis performance - just wondering if you're in a big city or the boonies.

Finally, have you tried going to the BRP website and submitting a complaint about this issue of service in Mexico?
    Bought it here, took me a while to find one, they are sold here though. We have a few dealers as well who do not cater to us, they think they are doing us a favor. Yes I have complained. But I guess we are not a very high priority. I am going to see about trying to do it myself. I am able to do basic things like do the brakes, so this should be something I can do as well! We have good gas, I use only premium in it, and the gas seems fine and yes I am in the boonies...First going to see about all the other things the vibration might be.....Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default YOUR ISSUES WITH YOUR SPYDER

Laura sorry to say this but ...BS, BS, BS & more BS and yes they are taking advantage of you the ba*tards ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

btw I had a silent heart attack and am recovering, and I do not want to sell my bike, although the doctor is encouraging me to do just this.....I am fighting it like a bangee. I don't think it is necesary to sell my bike. I love it!
    I don't think you need to sell your bike, either! Good luck with your recovery, take care of yourself, and let your ryding help you heal. BTW, "beadaholic", are you a fellow lampworker, by any chance? (http://toblerglass.com)

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses