Spyder Garage

Default Strange thing happening...

OK, this is weird and I am curious to see if anyone else is having this issue... I have a '13 STS SE5, I have noticed that my license plate is being bent. I know that I have not backed into anything, nothing has been thrown up by the rear tire. The tag is in the stock location on the rear fender below the tag light/rear reflector.
    Anyone else seen this?????? I do ride solo 100% so I cannot blame a passenger... Also the tag is attached at the top side and it gets bent up.
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting. ...

Do you have a gremlin bell... does this happen often or just once..?? it could be someone has backed into you but if it happens a lot then there is some other issue. It could be if you back into a high curb and pull back out it would bend the plate up. I have seen others back it and bump the curb and plate..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Do you have a gremlin bell... does this happen often or just once..?? it could be someone has backed into you but if it happens a lot then there is some other issue. It could be if you back into a high curb and pull back out it would bend the plate up. I have seen others back it and bump the curb and plate..
    This exact same thing happened to me. Destroyed the clapper inside the bell.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Cant quite say fyi I had similar issue but, added a trailer plate mount arm (I had laying around)to the underside of mine so I could use all 4 bolts to hold a license plate frame I found, first one broke when only using 2 bolts. Now I've added trailer hitch & the relocation kit cant even fit the frame

Additional info: used 1"1/4 1/4x 20 SS bolts & nylon nuts, the frame broke as if was bent up too far. The plate frame is metal too not crap plastic, Stock mount just does not hold.
    First frame:
    image.jpg
    & after the mod:image.jpg 4 bolts are better
    Last edited by Bfromla; 06-11-2017 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Pics

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Gene, well my gremlin bell was hanging from the bottom of the tag, needles to say, it has been gone long ago. I am defenseless against the little devils!!!!
    No curbs in or out of my garage or driveway. I am using the stock tag mount with 2 bolts at top holding the tag in place. Tag bends from the bottom up??????
    I guess a jokester gremlin has adopted my Spyder!!!
    I had the gremlin hanger at the bottom of the tag, I twisted that up the other day to the right side of the tag, when I got back home I noticed the reflector on the right side top tag
    bolt had broken off. The tag was again bent up and the only thing that could have broke the reflector was the gremlin hanger (the stainless steel piece from the bell vendor).
    Something seems to have hit the tag to cause that. What it could be is the mystery. I have pushed the rear suspension up and down to see if anything moved near the tag. Nothing did.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I will continue the quest. I will get a friend to follow me to see if they can notice a problem.

Y'all ride safe out there!!!!

Spyder Garage

My experience is with an 09 RS SE5. Going down a potholed road. She the front bike, me following. Saw a pothole, dodged it, and hit it square with the rear tire. Bottomed out and took the plate right off.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Ah, akspyderman, I think you got it!!!!!!! The main road that I have to travel in and out from our house has several recessed manhole covers, and they are situated such that
    if I try to dodge them completely I have to go into the oncoming traffic lane which often is not practical or safe! I try to get so the front wheel takes it but sometimes
    the rear wheel will take the hit a few times almost every time I ride. Thank you, thank you!!!!!! I will make sure the rear wheel no longer takes the hit and see if I can keep a
    straight tag!!!!!!