Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default How old is too old to get started riding a Spyder

Hi,

I am a potential Spyder rider (after I sell my better half on the idea) and was wondering what you folks consider a persons age as being too old to get started riding.

As you might guess I am not some young buck but I still work full time and am trying to get a plan together for what I might do when I finally retire.

For some buying a motor home or fifth wheel trailer might be ideal but the last thing i want to do is wandering around the country in my living room.

There is a lot of this country that I would like to see, especially here in Texas, and whizzing down the internet in an enclosed cage is not that appealing to me.

Those things being said, is it even a realistic for someone who saw their 60th birthday some time ago to get get started riding? Even if that person has some physical challenges?

Now I could just go and buy a Spyder but I am trying make an intelligent decision and to somehow get my better half on board with what I am thing of doing.

Thanks for your thoughts on this question.

JD

Y'all have a great day.

Spyder Garage

Jd, I hafta assume that you are still alive (?!?) in which case you are not too old to get started riding a Spyder!!

Many of us here are as old or older than you, many of us have some degree of physical challenges, some no longer work because of those physical challenges! But if you still have the mobility & flexibility to get on & can reach/operate the controls of a Spyder, then go for it!! If you need to mod the brake pedal or controls to suit, I bet someone has already done it!!

Just to give you an idea of how old ISN'T too old, there's a fairly new Spyder ryding fella here in South Aust, who's only been ryding for a couple of years so far (any vehicle that is, he never rode 2 wheelers before but he grew up riding horses!) but he recently celebrated a birthday that he 'allowed' just may have meant he's now over 95 by a year or three!! He's a bit cadgey about letting on how old he is, cos he thinks the Auth's might want to take his licence off him!! Anyhoo, he's invited me to go on a ryde with him this coming Monday, but I'm not too sure that my worn out body will handle it..... I really don't know if I'll be able to keep up with him or last the distance; he's doing an Aussie 'Hard Arse' ride, 1000 miles in 15 hours or something, which is only a short ryde for him - a couple of months back he rode from Sydney to Perth & then back to Adelaide in 4 days or something equally as silly.... I used to do that sorta stuff when I was young & fit & in the military, but now that I'm retired & decrepit largely because of the pounding my body took back then (altho an hour of ryding on the Spyder usually means that I can skip one of my many daily doses of pain medication) I'm not so sure - but he loves ryding so does these Hard Arse rides at every chance he gets, & it certainly keeps him young!

There's a saying that old riders pass around that goes something like this: You don't stop riding because you get old; you get old because you stop riding!!

If you want to ride & you feel you are up to it, don't let anyone or anything stop you! And a Spyder is a great way to get out there with your knees in the breeze! Talk to your Doctors if you must, but I just tell mine I AM going to keep ryding whilever I can - they've stopped me doing almost everything else I used to enjoy outdoors!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-11-2017 at 08:23 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Physical limits

If you have no physical limitations preventing you from riding, then the rest is purely up to you! Many years of enjoyment can be had ahead.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Started looking in Dec 2016, took motorcycle safety class March 17, never driven one before, bought RT Limited, Apr 29th, turned 62 in May.
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

You are never to old to enjoy life. I have a friend you just got a F3, this is his first motorcycle ever and he is 76. He is having a great time. His son and grandson both ride HD's so now he can going riding with them. Find a dealer in your area and see if they have demo rides and go and try one. Best of luck and hope to see you riding soon.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My story is very similar to Tyris. I had ridden two wheels when I was a teenager. The last time being when I was 21. Last year I took a motorcycle safety course and got my license for motorcycles over 250 cc.

My wife and I proceeded to test drive a Spyder and bought one last July. That was when I was 61. I'm 62 now and we have ridden our Spyder almost 8000 miles, loving every minute of it!I

Yesterday is a canceled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash. Spend it wisely!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    If you have no physical limitations preventing you from riding, then the rest is purely up to you! Many years of enjoyment can be had ahead.
    I'll add one caveat, the era of the cell phone generation drivers is upon us. Can't emphasize how dangerous this wave of distracted drivers has made our roads. The carnage they leave on our roads is the reason auto/bike/trike insurance rates are skyrocketing. As a beginning rider, I can't stress enough the old saying "Ride your motorcycle like you're invisible".
    Best of luck in your mid-life crisis.
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

These are extremely easy to ride. Extremely. Aside from the common sense/rules of the road, a child could ride one. I had to step off of motorcycles after my entire life of riding and racing them due to a developing disability and even i can ride ours. Pm me if you want to chat about it.
    Last edited by Slowpoke387; 06-11-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Do It!

I'm 82. Last summer I put 9000+ miles on my third Spyder riding from NJ to CA, OR, WA and home. Just do it!

ken tompkins

Spyder Garage

Default hi jdftwrth

TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL, but in my 9 years of riding the CAM AM SPYD3R, if have observed that the average age of a SPYD3R rider is approximately 65 yrs of age...
    You'll notice a very limited amount of riders below the age of 40, and most of us have white hair, if we have any at all... 90% of SPYD3R riders have come over from the 2 wheel world, ie; bad joints, heart, etc etc etc... and of that 90%, a full 98% have been thrilled with their SPYD3R... a very small 2% or so, have quit the SPYD3R team and either gone back to 2 wheels, or stopped riding entirely...
    Come join us, your chances of falling in love again are extremely high....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Welcome. If you like riding and being in the wind then get it and don't look back. It's a very easy bike to ride and once you get past the initial quirks of the 3 wheeler its very easy. Good luck in your decision, you might look at year end 2017 models when the 2018 are out. You might find some great savings as I did on the 2016 model.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AGE TO START

I'm not 100% sure but I think Karyl aka Murphy Brown ( the Queen of Spyders )at ...72 .... was never an operator of any Mtc. before She bought Her 2010 RT ....sight unseen .... She had a friend go to Michigan (?) to get it for Her .......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default never too old to Spyder

jd:
    I agree with comments above, most of which say it better than I can, and with loads of experience to boot. Go take a test ride; you'll likely buy one soon after. Take your lady with you, and make her the big part of your decision (both as to 'yes' or 'no', as well as to choice - RT or F3). Her opinion should cast the deciding vote if you're not unanimous. From personal experience, I can only add this: I'm 76, gf is 72. I owned my first motorbike at 14, completely illegally, and rode for a few years. Didn't do much biking again until I was in my thirties, and then on limited occasions for a few years. Got my M license officially, and it has remained valid even though I really haven't been astride much in the past 40 years; and only ever on two wheels when I did. So, an experienced rider I really am not, and don't pretend that I know much of anything. What I can say is that we two 70-plus-year olds, with very little background went and took a test ride a couple of weeks ago. We had discussed the idea, much for the same reasons you express. The test ride confirmed to us that we were on the right track. We chose a 2017 F3L; others would have gone for the RTL. That's simply a matter of personal comfort and preference - 'listen' to your gut and the feeling in your butts. We're now putting the first miles on our new toy, seeking out nearby adventurous day trips to begin; back roads, lovely scenery and charming out-of-the-way restaurants are where we head. You're only too old when you can no longer feel the wind, see the road and rigor mortis has set in sufficiently that they are measuring you for a pine box. Go for it!!!20170607_141917.jpg
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Default How Old....

It's all in how old you feel...A test ryde will clear up most of the truth in your age and capablilities. I have ryden bikes all my life and decided to retire from them around 65 but it lasted about a few months and only cause I had a ton of work. After the work ended up with a spinal cord injury did I retire and the wife bought us a spyder. Now in my 70's I still feel as young as all those out there I ryde with and unless I happen across a mirror where the difference is apparent (I avoid mirrors..) I keep ryding with them all...young and old and I have many much older than myself and tough to keep up with... go ryde one
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I was 66 when I gave up riding 2 wheels! I love riding my '13 ST-S SE5!!!!!! A good friend just bought a used RT at the tender age of 84!!
    Age is more "Mind over Matter!!" If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

I'm 71 and just got a 2015 RT-S. put 250 miles on it in the first 4 days and look forward to many miles with smiles.......PS, I'm a 100% disabled Vet

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jdftwrth View Post
    Hi,

I am a potential Spyder rider (after I sell my better half on the idea) and was wondering what you folks consider a persons age as being too old to get started riding.

As you might guess I am not some young buck but I still work full time and am trying to get a plan together for what I might do when I finally retire.

For some buying a motor home or fifth wheel trailer might be ideal but the last thing i want to do is wandering around the country in my living room.

There is a lot of this country that I would like to see, especially here in Texas, and whizzing down the internet in an enclosed cage is not that appealing to me.

Those things being said, is it even a realistic for someone who saw their 60th birthday some time ago to get get started riding? Even if that person has some physical challenges?

Now I could just go and buy a Spyder but I am trying make an intelligent decision and to somehow get my better half on board with what I am thing of doing.

JD

Y'all have a great day.
    I am 72 years old (young) . age is only determined by the calendar. if I let age run my life I would not get anything done. JUST DO IT !!!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Jd, I hafta assume that you are still alive (?!?) in which case you are not too old
    Exactly
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

As long as you are breathing on your own, you are good to go.

It's a good thing you didn't ask which spyder, and when to shift.
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-11-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Spyder Garage

J D I was age 61 when I bought my first Spyder. It was a '13 ST-S. I traded for a '15 F3-S in January of '16 and now have over 47,000 miles between both Spyders. I am now age 65. I just rode back from Quebec, Canada where I attended the Spyder 10th anniversary celebration. Riding my Spyder is the best fun I have ever had. Go for it! You and your wife will love it!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Default Never ever

let age be a factor...it is just a number...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Good Choice

Quote Originally Posted by jdftwrth View Post
    Hi,

JD

Y'all have a great day.
    I'm mid 60's and rode since I was fourteen. I would recommend you sign up for a three day riding course. I think Spyder has a promo code for a discount. You will learn a lot about the bike and yourself. Consider the class a three day test drive.

Spyder Garage

Default How Old

Let,s start by saying that my first ride was at age 14. That's about 66 years ago and a few miles. I change to my 2013 RTL in 2013 at age 76, before I had any health problems. I still ride my Spyder weekly and have ridden over 30,000 miles that last 4 years. This last May, I took a group on a week's ride in the Smokey Mountains. I might also say my Spyder has been trouble free.

Fitness is essential and riding is a good excerise for us Senior Citizens. As is keeping your riding skills current and your physical conditioning.is just as important.

Recommend you find a riding buddy or a group to ride with. Not only will you enjoy their friendship, but they can also keep and eye on you.

Riding is an escape from every day routine and provided the ability to interact with others

Go explore our Great Country.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wife started ryding at 60 --------ooops! 60ish......Never tell a woman's age.

Spyder Garage

Go for it jd. You won't be sorry. You will wonder why you didn't do it before. AND, for pete's sake, don't drive like you're "invisible". Be seen, be heard, be visible and remember to always drive defensively. If you see a car approaching an intersection keep in mind, he might not see you or he's trying to kill you. I certainly don't say this to scare you but it's a fact. The famous saying "But officer I didn't see him" . It is a fact though that a Spyder is more visible than any two wheeler. They are at least twice the width if not more! "Drive like you're invisible". I never heard that one! Just saying

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!