Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox1 View Post
    Go for it jd. You won't be sorry. You will wonder why you didn't do it before. AND, for pete's sake, don't drive like you're "invisible". Be seen, be heard, be visible and remember to always drive defensively. If you see a car approaching an intersection keep in mind, he might not see you or he's trying to kill you. I certainly don't say this to scare you but it's a fact. The famous saying "But officer I didn't see him" . It is a fact though that a Spyder is more visible than any two wheeler. They are at least twice the width if not more! "Drive like you're invisible". I never heard that one! Just saying

SilverFox

It just means you are riding/driving as though no one sees you; in other words, drive defensively at all times b/c you are invisible to those in a car.
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-11-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hi y'all,

I just wanted say thanks for all the positive and helpful comments that you have offered up...

If you could not tell from my original post, I have pretty much made my mind up as to what I am going to do, I just looking for some solid arguments and reasoning to use to defend and justify the decision that I am leaning towards.

Even as I am sitting here in my office I continuing my discussion with my wife about this and have shared your comments with her.

She and I are both products of the 50's and skepticism is part of our upbringing. Something about believing half of what you hear and even less of what you read. So my ultimate solution is to take here to one or more of the dealers and let her see for herself.

As far as the suggestion about waiting until the 2018's come out and then look at a 2017 goes, makes sense and the timing works of for other things that I need to get resolved before I buy one.

As much as she fidgets when riding in the car I am thinking that we will probably wind up with 2 spyders, my original thought was to lean towards the RT because the storage, but with 2 bikes and possibly a trailer then storage becomes a non-issue. The spyder with its semi auto transmission if is one of the chief selling points for me, the lack of a hand brake is one of the con's but with the availability of after market hand brakes is very positive point.

In the mean time I will continue to watch this forum and see if I can get answer to some of the other questions that I have.

Thanks again.

JD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How old, is "Too Old"?

When they nail the lid on your coffin shut!!!!!!

YOu get old when you stop 02.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It's all just a state of mind. Remember the old life ceral commercial try it you'll like it. Its never to early or to late to try it. So go for it JD. HAVE FUN LIVE LIFE TO ITS FULLEST. We'll watch over you. Just check in from time to time.

Spyder Garage

Cool

My wife bought a used 2010 RT in 2011. I did not have a bike at the time. She rode with our son who had a Suzuki 800. They went almost every weekend. I was getting a little upset. I was not asked to go along. This went along for a couple of years. Then in 2013, I finally said enough!!! When September sales came up, I bought an RTL and trailer. I got a great price. So my wife need back surgery. She ended up having 4 lower vertebrae fused, and disc replaced, she had already had two knees replaced. In 2015 she had both hips replaced. She still rides. I am a 50% retired veteran (mostly from migraine headaches). In March we flew down to Dallas, Texas and picked a 2014 RT for her. This last April we rode from North Las Vegas to Valdosta, Georgia and back in three weeks. We had no problems riding that distance! Course I have added a Russel Day long seat with their back rest, my kids tell me it is like a recliner! I am 63 and the wife (well, I better not tell you her age).

If we can do it, I think anybody can.... Cell phones are great.... at fuel stops send messages as to where you are to loved ones one long trips so they can keep track of you!

Good luck!
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Can't say too much about this, I've had my RT about 18 months, and 18,000 miles. I'll be 78 July 4th. If you want a Spyder, buy a Spyder, your age has nothing to do with it.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

There are all kinds of riders here that are in there 80's. Go for it "whippersnapper." You don't want to make it to 90 and have to say "Wow, I could of had a v-8."

Get the ride, and enjoy the ride. You have 20 years or more of additional fun.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When you cant cut your name in the snow?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jdftwrth View Post
    Hi,

I am a potential Spyder rider (after I sell my better half on the idea) and was wondering what you folks consider a persons age as being too old to get started riding.

As you might guess I am not some young buck but I still work full time and am trying to get a plan together for what I might do when I finally retire.

For some buying a motor home or fifth wheel trailer might be ideal but the last thing i want to do is wandering around the country in my living room.

There is a lot of this country that I would like to see, especially here in Texas, and whizzing down the internet in an enclosed cage is not that appealing to me.

Those things being said, is it even a realistic for someone who saw their 60th birthday some time ago to get get started riding? Even if that person has some physical challenges?

Now I could just go and buy a Spyder but I am trying make an intelligent decision and to somehow get my better half on board with what I am thing of doing.

Thanks for your thoughts on this question.

JD

Y'all have a great day.
    I bought my 1st one at 63. Now 66 and I know lots of riders older than I am.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

I am on my second Rt . My wife and Granddaughter love riding two up.
    My wife it on oxygen and still takes short trips.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

By all means, start riding, JD, but please don't do the interstates right away, especially if you're trying to get your spouse on board with the idea. Get used to your Spyder by yourself first, as it's got its learning curve, then let your wife saddle up and become confident on secondary roads where the two of you can chug along at a serene pace. Keep us posted on what you decide to do!

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

I's stop when I'm dead, maybe....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're never too old. Some have mentioned possible physical limitations, but many have adapted their Spyders to their disabilities and ryde them all over the country.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    When they nail the lid on your coffin shut!!!!!!
    Why should that stop you?

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I now have 64 years of experience.
    I have owned my Spyder RTL for two years.
    I never rode let alone owned a motorcycle in my life. My father absolutely hated them and those that rode them.
    I have put almost 15k miles on mine, I wish it were more.

If memory serves me correctly, during the live feed from the 2017 unveiling, they mentioned that 30% of new Spyders sold were to people who never owned a motorcycle, it is a "Roadster Revolution".

Joe
    Last edited by Buckeye Bleau; 06-12-2017 at 08:40 AM.
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Why should that stop you?
    My Missus is the Grounds Superintendent of the local Cemetery. She has already figured that it'll take four graves, and a much larger excavator; but she's threatening to pack my ashes in the frunk, and bury me in the Spyder!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Never too old as long as your physically able and can pay the bill.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=jdftwrth;1267845]Hi,

I am a potential Spyder rider (after I sell my better half on the idea) and was wondering what you folks consider a persons age as being too old to get started riding.

As you might guess I am not some young buck but I still work full time and am trying to get a plan together for what I might do when I finally retire.

For some buying a motor home or fifth wheel trailer might be ideal but the last thing i want to do is wandering around the country in my living room.

There is a lot of this country that I would like to see, especially here in Texas, and whizzing down the internet in an enclosed cage is not that appealing to me.

Those things being said, is it even a realistic for someone who saw their 60th birthday some time ago to get get started riding? Even if that person has some physical challenges?

Now I could just go and buy a Spyder but I am trying make an intelligent decision and to somehow get my better half on board with what I am thing of doing.

Thanks for your thoughts on this question.

Ya'll have a great day (QUOTE)

I got my motorcycle endorsement when I was 65. My friends called me crazy because I have some major disabilities balance being one of them. I started on a small scooter but when I ran across a 2018 SE5 I was hook, except for the seating position. After inventing the Seal corkboard, I was off ready to go. I'm 75 now and my new Bride have riddrn Cost to Coast (Apron 18,000 miles with side trips). i've put a total of almost 75,000. We both love it.If you can drive a car, you can ride a Spyder!!!!!

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was ryding around my home area one day, passed a park and saw a White Spyder Rt in the lot, I turned around and met a lovely couple from a city north of me.
    they were both in their 70's, never owned a MC until they bought the Spyder two years prior.

They log a lot of miles and said that the previous year they decided that they would like to see New Orleans, they left Ohio and took a Ryde to Louisiana, he said each day when they hit 500 miles they would stop. God Bless the children, regardless of age.

They were simply having a ball seeing the country and breathing the open road air!

i ran into another couple this week at a motorcycle store, with a yellow 2015 RT. They were both late 60's early 70's and they bought their Ryde New in 2015, it now has 80,000 miles on it, last year they wanted to see the Pacific Ocean so they went to California.

If you can pay attention, pay the bills, and drive defensively, you can Ryde to enrich your life.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jdftwrth View Post
    Hi,

My wife and I are both 70; she got her license this past Spring and last night we returned from a 3-day camping trip. My wife drove the Spyder pulling a pet trailer and I my 2-wheeler pulling a cargo trailer. Jane really enjoyed herself and has a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that she was able to do it. The Spyder made all the difference for her; it is so stable and easy to drive. If it's something you have always wanted to do (motorcycle touring) I'd encourage you to try it while you still can.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't wait, just RYDE!!!

Last summer I assisted a very nice Lady Ryder learn to operate her Spyder RTS. She is well north of 80 and with a little encouragement, having always been a passenger never the driver, is now going on cross countries from AZ to MT via CA etc...

If you want to RYDE, get out there before some excuse comes up.
    Also, as I have found it is easier to ask permission than forgiveness when dealing with the Spousal Unit, as long as budget allows.

Cordially,

Cookie

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by COOKIE USN RET View Post
    Also, as I have found it is easier to ask permission than forgiveness when dealing with the Spousal Unit, as long as budget allows.
    Dang Cookie, I have been taking that approach with my better half for almost 50 years...

JD

Spyder Garage

How about "YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD?" Seriously, is there a cut off age for having fun and enjoying life? At ages 69 and 66 we bought an RT Ltd for HIM and a F3 Ltd for ME (couldn't let him have ALL the fun, right?!) amidst varying comments of, "You're kidding!" "You're crazy - at your ages?" "Do you want to get yourselves killed?!" to "Wish I had the nerve" and "You guys have worked hard - it's time for the payoff" and "You'll discover a whole new world."

Well, the latter has been the case. We have talked more, shared more, explored more, laughed more and discovered more about ourselves as a couple than we ever could have imagined. We have traveled to places we never would have on four wheels and have surprised ourselves with all that's out there, including our willingness to just go, do and try. The learning curve was surprisingly easy - - My Honey had his license since his teens but quit riding when job and life demands interfered, while I had never ridden a motorcycle.
    He simply brushed up on his skills and we were lucky to have found an excellent dealer/owner with a person on staff who actually put us through a mini-course on riding. (Thanks, Tammy Bakert, owner of Motosports, Inc., Hanover, PA and Tim Dunlap our riding guru!)

Also thru shared information, advice and tips found on this forum, we learned the dos and don'ts and saved ourselves from making a lot of mistakes. Riding is surprisingly easy once you find the Spyder model that fits you and your wife, what you want to do, and how you want to ride and travel. We also, again THANKS SPYDERLOVERS, purchased helmets and had the Sena 20 system communication system installed so we could talk with each other while we rode. Investigate riding courses offered by local dealerships as well as find a local Spyder club - they'll be more than happy to help you learn so you'll feel safe and confident on your new toy.

Our only regret is that we didn't do it sooner after realizing all the fun we had missed - - but we're making up for lost time. Don't make the same mistake! Repeat and repeat again: YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE FUN AND FIND A PASSION THAT MAKES YOU FEEL YOUNG AGAIN!!!
    Last edited by LateLifeCrisis; 06-12-2017 at 01:04 PM.
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You sound just like a bunch of "Seenagers"!

I am a Seenager (Senior teenager).
    I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 60 years later.
    I don't have to go to school or work.
    I get an allowance every month.
    I have my own pad.
    I don't have a curfew.
    I have a driver's license and my own car.
    I have ID that gets me into bars and the whisky store.
    The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant.
    And I don’t have acne.
    Life is great. I have more friends I should send this to,
    but right now I can't remember their names.

Seenager.jpg

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Too old?

Well....I'm a newbie here too! Rode 2 wheels for years..still going strong!

BUT I'm replying and posting an intro to my dad...KennyB.....

He just purchased a leftover 2016 ST-S and is excited about getting back on bikes! The last time he rode a 2 wheeler was in 1953!

He's set up for a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course in a month or so....

He is 91 years young! Loves the idea of getting back into "wandering around" looking at stuff! (Quote!)