on getting your Dad bacl " up on three!"
    of him on his bike?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

on getting your Dad bacl " up on three!"
    of him on his bike?
    Here is a double welcome: x 2

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jdftwrth View Post
    Hi,

I am a potential Spyder rider (after I sell my better half on the idea) and was wondering what you folks consider a persons age as being too old to get started riding.
    As you might guess I am not some young buck but I still work full time and am trying to get a plan together for what I might do when I finally retire.
    For some buying a motor home or fifth wheel trailer might be ideal but the last thing i want to do is wandering around the country in my living room.
    There is a lot of this country that I would like to see, especially here in Texas, and whizzing down the internet in an enclosed cage is not that appealing to me.
    Those things being said, is it even a realistic for someone who saw their 60th birthday some time ago to get get started riding? Even if that person has some physical challenges?
    Now I could just go and buy a Spyder but I am trying make an intelligent decision and to somehow get my better half on board with what I am thing of doing.
    Thanks for your thoughts on this question.
    JD
    Y'all have a great day.
    JD,
    I'm going to play contrarian here.
    If you're not perfectly comfortable with the idea of riding a spyder, then your best bet would be to stay off of one. If you start riding, and you're uncomfortable, you'll pose a danger to yourself and others on the road around you.
    Now, let me clarify: From my standpoint, there is no reason for you to be uncomfortable, but perception is reality, and it's all about your perceptions, not mine.
    Whatever you choose, I wish you the very best.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You sound just like a bunch of "Seenagers"!

I am a Seenager (Senior teenager).
    I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 60 years later.
    I don't have to go to school or work.
    I get an allowance every month.
    I have my own pad.
    I don't have a curfew.
    I have a driver's license and my own car.
    I have ID that gets me into bars and the whisky store.
    The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant.
    And I don’t have acne.
    Life is great. I have more friends I should send this to,
    but right now I can't remember their names.

These days I walk into a liquor store or order a drink at a bar and I dare them to ask of my id, hell with my beard,gray hair and "large size" i look just like Santa Claus unfortunately my kids often make the mistake and think that I am "Santa".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    JD,
    If you're not perfectly comfortable with the idea of riding a spyder, then your best bet would be to stay off of one. If you start riding, and you're uncomfortable, you'll pose a danger to yourself and others on the road around you.
    Now, let me clarify: From my standpoint, there is no reason for you to be uncomfortable, but perception is reality, and it's all about your perceptions, not mine.
    I say go for it. That being said, it would a good idea to find and take a trike motorcycle training course. That way he will discover if riding a motorcycle is in his "comfort" zone. I would also find a dealer and take a test ride. Dale

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default You are never too old to ride............

Friends of the family live in a small rural community not far away. They have a ranch with lots of property and bunches of roads that lead everywhere. Grandpa comes to visit now and then and is pushing 90 years old. One day the kids got grandpa on one of the ranch quads and together they all putted around the ranch having a great time showing grandpa how to ride the quad. He still rides today but for him, everyday is a new experience. The grandkids never get tired of the joy of teaching him to ride all over again whenever he comes to visit. Yep, you're never too old to ride.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    JD,
    I never said I wasn't comfortable with riding, I was just trying to get a sense of what others might have to say regarding "being too old to ride" because I need to get my better half to get on board with the program....

JD

Spyder Garage

Default Hi!!! Im 82 years old my wife is 76

Quote Originally Posted by jdftwrth View Post
    Hi,

I am a potential Spyder rider (after I sell my better half on the idea) and was wondering what you folks consider a persons age as being too old to get started riding.

As you might guess I am not some young buck but I still work full time and am trying to get a plan together for what I might do when I finally retire.

For some buying a motor home or fifth wheel trailer might be ideal but the last thing i want to do is wandering around the country in my living room.

There is a lot of this country that I would like to see, especially here in Texas, and whizzing down the internet in an enclosed cage is not that appealing to me.

Those things being said, is it even a realistic for someone who saw their 60th birthday some time ago to get get started riding? Even if that person has some physical challenges?

Now I could just go and buy a Spyder but I am trying make an intelligent decision and to somehow get my better half on board with what I am thing of doing.

Thanks for your thoughts on this question.

JD

Y'all have a great day.
    Glad to hear you may want to ride a Spyder I was 75 when I bought my 2012 RT Limited and we have been able to ride 12 months year round here in Arizona.Do It you will love the experience.....

Spyder Garage

Default How Old

J D,
    I have rode on and off for the last 55 years and had always wanted to buy a touring bike in my senior years and travel, At 60 I decided that I was not going to wait anymore and told my bride of the last 42 years that I was buying a bike, she had crashed her bicycle several years earlier and was afraid to get back on two wheels even behind me, her girlfriend had a early spyder and took her out for a ride and she was sold and wanted me to look at them, being an old two wheeler I only went looking to appease her but after the first test ride was sold, because of the safety features and my knees and one ankle is gone. We bought our first RT five years ago and have been grinning ear to ear ever since. The only problem was she fell in love riding after she got her endorsement so she could ride mine if I got hurt or sick when we were touring. Having never ridden a bike by herself and at 64 she put 25,000 miles on her first bike in one year! I will fully retire in two more years then we can do a few dream rides until then we ride when we can. We use ours for mostly trips and pull a camp trailer and a dog trailer, have spent 2 weeks at a time on the road and have a blast. I would say go for it! after she first started to ride someone asked her if it was scary and her reply was , at first it was scary and a little fun but then after a month or so it was only slightly scary and a lot of fun and it made her feel ALIVE again!

Camping up on the Crest 4-19 001.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Default Never too old.

I hadn't ridden since H.S. and then not a lot. Got my first RT at 62. 2015 put 35k on it and traded for a new 16 F3T.
    Don't get old, I'm not sure if I ever want to be mature
    Go for it..
    Pat
    SIGPIC]2

2016 F3T Lamonster RIP boards, fog lights, Longhorn mirror lights, power plate. SpyderPops skid plate. Painted the silver air intake and grill.

Spyder Garage

One negative reply and the rest positive. The site has spoken.

Bob, please post the Buy the Damn Motorcycle poster.

I am having to much fun to quit, and so are most of the rest of us.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I bought my first spyder when I was in my late 40's ( 2012 RTS-SE6), I currently own my 2nd spyder which is a 2014RTS-SE6, and I am in mid 50's. I use to ride the 2 wheeled motorcycle as a passenger.

I am having a ball with my current spyder, 2014RTS-SE6.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You're not limited by age. Whether you should ride or not is determined by your physical ability to handle the machine, your mental acuity to handle the traffic and road, and by your reflexes. Only you, your family, and your doctor can judge all that.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Had mine all week. 75 years and 4 months and 17 days. Lot easier than a big bike.

Spyder Garage

The guy that bought my rt is 84. He never rode anything until he was 80 and had a couple cruisers before deciding to try a spyder. He enjoys the ride and I see him around town on a regular basis.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Jd, I hafta assume that you are still alive (?!?) in which case you are not too old to get started riding a Spyder!!

Many of us here are as old or older than you, many of us have some degree of physical challenges, some no longer work because of those physical challenges! But if you still have the mobility & flexibility to get on & can reach/operate the controls of a Spyder, then go for it!! If you need to mod the brake pedal or controls to suit, I bet someone has already done it!!

Just to give you an idea of how old ISN'T too old, there's a fairly new Spyder ryding fella here in South Aust, who's only been ryding for a couple of years so far (any vehicle that is, he never rode 2 wheelers before but he grew up riding horses!) but he recently celebrated a birthday that he 'allowed' just may have meant he's now over 95 by a year or three!! He's a bit cadgey about letting on how old he is, cos he thinks the Auth's might want to take his licence off him!! Anyhoo, he's invited me to go on a ryde with him this coming Monday, but I'm not too sure that my worn out body will handle it..... I really don't know if I'll be able to keep up with him or last the distance; he's doing an Aussie 'Hard Arse' ride, 1000 miles in 15 hours or something, which is only a short ryde for him - a couple of months back he rode from Sydney to Perth & then back to Adelaide in 4 days or something equally as silly.... I used to do that sorta stuff when I was young & fit & in the military, but now that I'm retired & decrepit largely because of the pounding my body took back then (altho an hour of ryding on the Spyder usually means that I can skip one of my many daily doses of pain medication) I'm not so sure - but he loves ryding so does these Hard Arse rides at every chance he gets, & it certainly keeps him young!

There's a saying that old riders pass around that goes something like this: You don't stop riding because you get old; you get old because you stop riding!!

If you want to ride & you feel you are up to it, don't let anyone or anything stop you! And a Spyder is a great way to get out there with your knees in the breeze! Talk to your Doctors if you must, but I just tell mine I AM going to keep ryding whilever I can - they've stopped me doing almost everything else I used to enjoy outdoors!

Do not let age stop you. I just turned 70 with more ailments and pains than I want to talk about and my Spyder is the most fun I have now, nothing like the wind in your face on a warm day riding a back county highway looking for a good burger joint. JUST FREAKING DO IT!!!!

Spyder Garage

Just got my first one at 75 and 4 months. Much easier than a big bike and even more fun

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Friend just purchase her first Spyder a week ago at the age of 74. She jumped on and had no Problems riding the 2016 F3T. Her only complaint is that she doesn't like the side mirrors. She looking at the Lamonster mirrors. And she may install the Short handlebars because she is reaching slightly. Told her she is hugging the line a little to much but other then that she is doing well, link below is her first ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good for her!!
    Did you tell her about us yet?

Spyder Garage

The common sense, reality answer is when you can no longer safely handle or drive one. Otherwise, never too old.
    Last edited by Docster; 06-13-2017 at 02:38 PM.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

The guy that bought my rt is 84. He never rode anything until he was 80 and had a couple cruisers before deciding to try a spyder. He enjoys the ride and I see him around town on a regular basis.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will be 85 in August and ride with the Hill Country Road Riders. We are oldsters, the youngest is around 55. We ride each Saturday to breakfast or lunch depending on the time of year. When are you too old to ride or buy a scoot.....I don't know. I will ride as long as I can climb on Mr. Cognac and feel I am safe to ride and not harm myself or others.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Default Age to start

I started rideing at 67, I'm now 68, I've put 9000 miles on and love it . I never rode any type of motorcycle before. My only regret is I live n upstate New York and can't ride in the winter

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Trayne-

Brother I feel for you lived up around Rochester NY back in the mid 80's been here in Texas since then.

Y'all take care.

JD