Default Secure a Garmin gps

I vaguely remember posts about a device to lock a gps on the Spyder
    i've tried searching, no luck
    please point me in the right direction
    thanks

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-08-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Spyder Garage
    2015 F3s White

BRP Drivers and Passenger backrest
    Blue Ridge windshield
    Corbin Saddle Bags

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rpatsh View Post

That's the one thanks

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

I love mine.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

On day trips, I just remove mine and lock it in the frunk or rear trunk. If we are traveling and staying overnight, I bring it into our hotel room. Simple, and no added expense.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Another member on this site (sorry can't remember who) suggested putting a zip tie around bit you push down to release the GPS. That works perfectly petrol stations etc. during the day. When I get to the motel or whatever I just cut off the zip tie and take the unit with me. Do the zip tie right and you can't really see it's there so would not be able to tell why it wouldn't release.
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 06-09-2017 at 01:37 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Another member on this site (sorry can't remember who) suggested putting a zip tie around bit you push down to release the GPS. That works perfectly petrol stations etc. during the day. When I get to the motel or whatever I just cut off the zip tie and take the unit with me. Do the zip tie right and you can't really see it's there so would not be able to tell why it wouldn't release.
    Is this on a gps that is factory installed? I can't picture the pushing down to release.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Kradellocks works beautifully!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    I am going to try that.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Is this on a gps that is factory installed? I can't picture the pushing down to release.
    This is on an aftermarket Garmin 590 so not sure if the mounts the same as the Factory one. This is the bit I mean:

garmin-zumo-590-motorcycle-mount-bracket.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Here's a pic with the zip tie around the release button. Works great.

IMG_0074s.jpg
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Kradellocks works beautifully!

Spyder Garage

Those prevent your ram mount gear from walking off but not your GPS. I have three of them on my mounted ram arms...
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rpatsh View Post
    Those only work for the Garmin Zumos though correct? Not the run of the mill auto Garmins.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    Those prevent your ram mount gear from walking off but not your GPS. I have three of them on my mounted ram arms...
    Thanks. I didn't give it much thought until you mentioned it. On the cheap GPS that I purchased, they will protect the GPS. Once that GPS is within the mounting bracket, you'll need a hammer to get it out. I've tried popping it out like on my Garmin, and it's a no go. I know this will sound a little strange b/c it's such a cheap GPS. With the Garmin, it's easy to move the tab on the bracket, and pop it out; not so on the Chinese version. If you succeed in breaking the tab, you'll also break the external electrical connection to the cheap GPS, and then it's worthless.
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-13-2017 at 05:51 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just bought a new Garmin 6" car GPS. I mounted its connecting device to my Ram 1" ball mount with a few tiny screws and it never popped off while riding. If it rains I cover it and when leaving it in an "unfriendly" area I snap it off and secure it in my trunk in seconds. I stayed away from the Garmin motorcycle GPS cause it was grossly over priced. My Garmin cost me Amazon $130.00 shipped to my house. If it fails or is stolen I can buy a new one every year and still be cheaper then an MC GPS even with that silly anti-theft locking garbage. My thoughts.