Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 Engine Check Light with display "Check DPS"

The problem named in the title frame began right from day one and has mystified the dealership's service techs. It happens after the machine has run 30 - 40 miles at highway speeds and clears when the bike is shut down. The problem has left no audit trail that can be read by the service department's diagnostic software. Am I the only one who has experienced this? Thanks for any help or tips.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-04-2019 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Colour

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Speedsterjohnny View Post
    The problem named in the title frame began right from day one and has mystified the dealership's service techs. It happens after the machine has run 30 - 40 miles at highway speeds and clears when the bike is shut down. The problem has left no audit trail that can be read by the service department's diagnostic software. Am I the only one who has experienced this? Thanks for any help or tips.
    Weird Thought.

First, you need to "pull active codes" before you shut the bike down (if you haven't already) -- not sure how that is done on an F3 as I have an RT, so don't know if the sequence is the same. It is odd that there are no codes stored, which is what I believe happens to active codes upon shutdown. Anyway, I had a similar experience just after a service where the CB / antenna or the GPS was worked on and, for some reason the seat was pulled off (not sure exactly why, probably to get to the GPS connectors). I had just turned the key on and cleared the display, then sat on the bike ... similar message with an icon that indicates check DPS. I pulled codes before I shut the key off and grabbed my handy SpyderCodes app -- wish I could remember the code, but it has been months ago. SpyderCodes made it clear that something was "wrong" with the pillion sensor ... so I popped the seat up and there it was, sitting unplugged under the seat. Plugged it back in and all was good. Maybe there is s similar connector on the F3 that is loose or has a loose connection within.

So ... weird thought; but not out of the realm of possibilities .... all the best .... Ann
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Not sure what "pull active codes" means or how to do it. Since the code seems to disappear when the machine is shut down, that would seem to be the time to do it but I don't know how. Does this require a code reader like an OBDII device on a car or is there an on board procedure to do it?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Colour

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If your Dealer's TECHS can't pull up the codes .... there is something wrong with what they are doing!!!! ..... At Spyderfest 2014 a BRP Tech (Danny) solved a mystery issue with my RSS that a dealer tech claimed he couldn't find ...... Danny said I had over 240 stored codes of SE paddle issues in the COMPUTER ..... If it OCCURS, it is logged into the computer, they can contact BRP for assistance in retrieving them...... My dealer Tech did and finally fixed my problem under warranty ....... good luck, Mike ............ sometimes you need to be PUSHY
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

I agree. If it displayed the error, the code is stored. If the dealer cannot read it its because they do not know how to use BUDS. Have them call BRP for assistance. If they refuse, call BRP yourself for a referral to a different dealer.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I have gotten BRP involved and am expecting a call from them tomorrow. Wish me luck and thanks for the replies. I think I am going to enjoy this group and hopefully will have more to contribute as time goes along. I am a fledgling moto vlogger and have a few videos on YouTube under the name "Speedsterjohnny". I'm still working on technical issues and improving my delivery techniques.... I hope to become a smoother talker.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Colour

Spyder Garage

Angry

Well, in spite of two emails from BRP promising a call from customer support within 24 hours, it never happened. This is distressing and is it what I can expect going forward? I am not a happy camper. BTW, I was told by one of the techs at the dealership that they were having trouble with the laptop, apparently the one they use to read the codes. Perhaps this is why they were stuck.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Colour

Spyder Garage

Well, in spite of two emails from BRP promising a call from customer support within 24 hours, it never happened. This is distressing and is it what I can expect going forward? I am not a happy camper. BTW, I was told by one of the techs at the dealership that they were having trouble with the laptop, apparently the one they use to read the codes. Perhaps this is why they were stuck.
    Hi Speedsterjohnny,

Please let us know if you still haven't heard back from your dealer. If you'd like, you can send us an e-mail with your VIN or case number and we can help move things forward.

Sandra-BRPcare.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi Speedsterjohnny,

Please let us know if you still haven't heard back from your dealer. If you'd like, you can send us an e-mail with your VIN or case number and we can help move things forward.

Sandra-BRPcare.
    On "moving the case forward"...

Hello Sandra.
    I have been contacted by "Georges" at BRP and that was essentially to record my VIN with the purchase date, apparently to update the data base to register the warranty. The dealer, Mountain Motorsports of Kodak, Tennessee, suggested that I bring in the bike at my convenience and leave it for a few days. This is really inconvenient since it would mean two trips with a second vehicle but I will do this if there is no other option.

I was told when I brought it in originally that the techs were having difficulty with the laptop they use to plug into the bikes port. I was told that there was nothing recorded in the machine's database to indicate that there was a problem at all. With what others have posted on this thread, this sounds dubious at best, since I did get an engine check light and a "Check DPS" message on the display. This information is supposed to be stored, isn't it?

I am developing a fondness for the bike and it is unfortunate that I have this persistent problem. I am not certain what I should do next.

Johnny
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Colour

Spyder Garage

Problem Resolved?

I have not had a repeat of the check engine light or Check DPS message after putting more miles on the bike. What I really need to do, and will do soon, is get it out on the Interstate and run for 50 miles or so to see if I can make it happen. Driving at sustained highway speeds has always produced the result and I need to be certain before I take it to the dealer. The bike is running wonderfully and I hope whatever glitch was present has resolved itself. We live in hope, don't we?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Colour

Spyder Garage

Wheel(s) out of balance can generate spurious DPS faults, they only appear whilst underway.

Spyder Garage

Low system voltage can cause DPS error. Check battery connections. Grounds. Or possibly weak battery.

Spyder Garage

Check DPS error seems to be history.

I have had not had a recurrence of the Check DPS error and assume that it was a new bike or new rider-generated glitch. All seems to be well as I approach the first thousand miles on the machine.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Colour
    There comes a time in life when you really want to stay in the wind, but single-track vehicles are no longer a practical or safe solution. The Can AM Spyder is a wonderful answer to a difficult situation.

Spyder Garage

My F3-S did this to me around 600 miles after I stopped for gas on a long trip. I pulled over and the power steering was definitely not working. After starting back up since I was 200 miles from home, deciding to just go ahead and go anyways, it worked fine. I've put another 500 miles on it and still haven't ever seen the DPS error or had any issues again... but its only been a week. Not planning on taking it in unless I see another issue, as I don't usually have anyone available to drop me off or pick me up to leave it to be worked on as the dealer is too far away.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    My F3-S did this to me around 600 miles after I stopped for gas on a long trip. I pulled over and the power steering was definitely not working. After starting back up since I was 200 miles from home, deciding to just go ahead and go anyways, it worked fine. I've put another 500 miles on it and still haven't ever seen the DPS error or had any issues again... but its only been a week. Not planning on taking it in unless I see another issue, as I don't usually have anyone available to drop me off or pick me up to leave it to be worked on as the dealer is too far away.
    Problem has not occurred again.

I did not have the symptom of losing the power steering. All I saw was the DPS error message. The dealer was unable to retrieve the code that should have been stored on the computer but admitted they were having trouble with the laptop that they were plugging in. In the two thousand plus miles since the original problem I have not seen it again.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Colour
    There comes a time in life when you really want to stay in the wind, but single-track vehicles are no longer a practical or safe solution. The Can AM Spyder is a wonderful answer to a difficult situation.

Spyder Garage

Got the "Check DPS" message again.

It has been something over 2k miles since I originally reported this problem and it seemed to have gone away. However, on a recent ride I received a check engine light and the "Check DPS" message again. It was a fairly cool day, about 60 degrees, but the pesky message popped up. It always happens when I am traveling at freeway speeds.

I have had no sensation of a tire out-of-balance problem, at least not that I have noticed. Someone suggested that this could cause the problem. I am coming up to my first dealer checkup and this problem will be reported.

Now I have to decide which dealer to bring my machine to. I purchased it from Mountain Motorsports in Kodak, TN. The closest dealer is Alcoa Good times in Louisville, TN, about half the distance. Having a 50 mile round trip, especially if I have to leave it, sure beats a 100 mile round trip. MM has a better overall rating online, based on limited reviews, however MM was unable to get into my trikes computer (laptop problems???) last time I visited them. Any responses?

Thanks as always for your attention.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Colour

Spyder Garage

F3 Engine Check Light with display "Check DPS"

Just for grins and giggles you really should check and tighten your battery terminals. If they don't have star washers get some, put them on and tighten it down properly; it should then stay that way. These bikes are exceedingly sensitive to altered voltages and poor grounds.

Al in Kazoo
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I have heard good things about Alcoa, hopefully they can figure out your issue.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

FWIW, I had a DPS error come on a few weeks back, restarted the bike then it was gone, as soon as I turned the wheels it came back and power steering was lost, I had several repetitions over a couple of days, then it came on hard.

So the Spyder has been back with the AD for 2 weeks now, apparently waiting on parts.This is the second DPS I have had fail, one failed on the GS too.

@ BRP why on earth fit this nugatory piece of kit, without the weight of the DPS the steering wouldn't need power assistance. Just another example of bad design and don't get me started on the overengineering or build quality.
    The powdercoating is already off my rear sprocket after 2,500 miles!!
    Last edited by Black Pig; 05-10-2018 at 02:45 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pig View Post
    FWIW, I had a DPS error come on a few weeks back, restarted the bike then it was gone, as soon as I turned the wheels it came back and power steering was lost, I had several repetitions over a couple of days, then it came on hard.

So the Spyder has been back with the AD for 2 weeks now, apparently waiting on parts.This is the second DPS I have had fail, one failed on the GS too.

@ BRP why on earth fit this nugatory piece of kit, without the weight of the DPS the steering wouldn't need power assistance. Just another example of bad design and don't get me started on the overengineering or build quality.
    The powdercoating is already off my rear sprocket after 2,500 miles!!
    Your Problem Sounds Worse Than Mine.

​When I reset (shut down) the problem goes away. It is sporadic and I never know when it will occur. On my last trip, I was on the interstate for a number of miles with no problem, but on the return trip, also with a few miles on the interstate, it showed up again. Even though the check engine light comes on and the message appears, there is no change in the handling; It does not appear to be affecting the power steering so it seems like a bogus message. Still, I don't think it's a problem that I should ignore. Thanks for the post!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display & removed colour... ;-)

Spyder Garage

retrieving active codes yourself

it takes two hands to retrieve codes. With the key on and the display normal, take your left thumb and depress the eco and the set button at the same time. While those two buttons are down take your right thumb and press the turn signal button straight in. So for just a moment you are pressing three buttons in at the same time. All three buttons are on the left handle bar controls.
    If the screen is blank there are no active codes. If you see letters and numbers like P0172 that is an example of codes.
    The next time you see any idiot lights, pull over and get the codes.

Dennis
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    it takes two hands to retrieve codes. With the key on and the display normal, take your left thumb and depress the eco and the set button at the same time. While those two buttons are down take your right thumb and press the turn signal button straight in. So for just a moment you are pressing three buttons in at the same time. All three buttons are on the left handle bar controls.
    If the screen is blank there are no active codes. If you see letters and numbers like P0172 that is an example of codes.
    The next time you see any idiot lights, pull over and get the codes.

Dennis
    ^^^ Hero post...

Spyder Garage

Do you keep the engine running before pulling the code?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
    Do you keep the engine running before pulling the code?
    I can do this function while driving. Sometimes there are codes that drop off when the key goes off then on. Some temporary codes are related to manifold pressure being exceeded after red lining the bike. Or some temporary fuel codes from being rich or lean.

If you think you might lose the code, keep the bike running.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Speedster; Any update? Having the same issues and the dealer is calling for replacing DPS.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-04-2019 at 07:18 PM.
    2016 F3-TSE , Triple Black